Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What is garage music?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 25, 2011 1:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

is it just a style and if so how would you simply define that style? is it also a state or situation? can a band with a major label or major indie label contract and support be garage? just how fuzzy is the fuzz sound?
    • October 27, 2011 8:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thank you dublÉ. feeling a bit dazed and confused. and none of us even like led zep!

dublÉ said:

Just wanted to give you a few words of support here... First of all, I think it's perfectly valid to have a personal and/or general interest in defining of the "Garage" term – or any other term for that matter – however loosely... Actually the "getting it" (or not) part, is rather dependant on the definition of "it".

Secondly, I must say I'm amazed by how easily offended some members seem to get by your question, but I think you addressed that pretty accurately yourself here.

All the best.  e

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

kopper attacked us and said "you either get it or you dont" the smugness of that remark is not cool. it basically says "you must be stupid if you don't get it like i do" and that's ALL it says. kind of a kindergarten bully response. we have personal opinions on the subject but that is about all that is possible with a genre that means completely different things to many people. we were interested in what the people here thought. why is that such a difficult thing to understand? better yet why the fuck would that infuriate people? we thought this was a discussion group. we have not had "issues" with people's responses. we have had interest in what they are saying. again this seems a capitol crime.

• October 27, 2011 4:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just wanted to give you a few words of support here... First of all, I think it's perfectly valid to have a personal and/or general interest in defining of the "Garage" term – or any other term for that matter – however loosely... Actually the "getting it" (or not) part, is rather dependant on the definition of "it".

Secondly, I must say I'm amazed by how easily offended some members seem to get by your question, but I think you addressed that pretty accurately yourself here.

All the best.  e

kopper attacked us and said "you either get it or you dont" the smugness of that remark is not cool. it basically says "you must be stupid if you don't get it like i do" and that's ALL it says. kind of a kindergarten bully response. we have personal opinions on the subject but that is about all that is possible with a genre that means completely different things to many people. we were interested in what the people here thought. why is that such a difficult thing to understand? better yet why the fuck would that infuriate people? we thought this was a discussion group. we have not had "issues" with people's responses. we have had interest in what they are saying. again this seems a capitol crime.

• October 26, 2011 7:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it's time for a group hug.

Or maybe a circle jerk. O_o
    • October 26, 2011 7:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it's the know its and get its that are confusing us.

joey fuckup said:
      I'm sorry you don't understand that. And if anybody following this thread doesn't understand what I just typed, I can only "sorry", because I'm not sure I can make it any more plain than that.

sorry joey but we are really confused as to the meaning of what you just said. that is not an attack or an "issue". we just can't figure it out.

joey fuckup said:
      There can be, and sometimes it's not. People may listen to garage for the first time and not "know it" when they are hearing it. Sometimes it takes several attempts (or records, whatever) to "get it". Just because you hear garage for the first time, doesn't necessarily mean you "know it". And there are plenty of people out there (a shame really), that continue to hear it and still not "get it".

there is a big difference between the phrases  "you get it or you don't" and "you know it when you hear it"

Old School Hero said:
      Also...I don't think the ''You get it or you don't'' thing is that smug. You notice a difference when you hear Garage for the first time. I was always a fan of oldies music (hate that fucking term)...but boy when I heard the bands on Little Steven's Underground Garage (which I never listen to anymore) I knew it wasn't like anything I heard before.
    • October 26, 2011 7:38 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I'm sorry you don't understand that. And if anybody following this thread doesn't understand what I just typed, I can only say "sorry", because I'm not sure I can make it any more plain than that.

sorry joey but we are really confused as to the meaning of what you just said. that is not an attack or an "issue". we just can't figure it out.

joey fuckup said:
      There can be, and sometimes it's not. People may listen to garage for the first time and not "know it" when they are hearing it. Sometimes it takes several attempts (or records, whatever) to "get it". Just because you hear garage for the first time, doesn't necessarily mean you "know it". And there are plenty of people out there (a shame really), that continue to hear it and still not "get it".

there is a big difference between the phrases  "you get it or you don't" and "you know it when you hear it"

Old School Hero said:
      Also...I don't think the ''You get it or you don't'' thing is that smug. You notice a difference when you hear Garage for the first time. I was always a fan of oldies music (hate that fucking term)...but boy when I heard the bands on Little Steven's Underground Garage (which I never listen to anymore) I knew it wasn't like anything I heard before.
    • October 26, 2011 7:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey fuckup said:

Old School Hero said:
    • October 26, 2011 7:27 PM CDT
    • Untitled

And like in your situation, you were listening to oldies radio, which still to this day, shuns so much of the '60's garage out there. But when you did hear those gems on Little Steven's show, you "got it", or at least you knew, you were on to something different.

Old School Hero said:
      I was just lucky enough to be listening to a station that had it in the title and assumed...OH! I guess this is Garage then.

Oh...Hai dere Chocolate Watch band. :D

Oh hey look..a band with Prunes in the name..

A band named The Jessica Flet-
      nevermind...
    • October 26, 2011 7:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was just lucky enough to be listening to a station that had it in the title and assumed...OH! I guess this is Garage then.

Oh...Hai dere Chocolate Watch band. :D

Oh hey look..a band with Prunes in the name..

A band named The Jessica Flet-
      nevermind...
    • October 26, 2011 7:16 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Old School Hero said:
    • October 26, 2011 7:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Old School Hero said:
    • October 26, 2011 7:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

how nice. it was worth all the other to hear someone wax eloquent about how they feel about the subject. that was wonderful. thanks. lots of insights that would never have occurred to us.

Old School Hero said:

Anyway let me tell you what I think...I'm disregarding everything else said to this point not out of disrespect, but so I can say how I feel without somebody saying "We already said that". I think Garage started without knowing it started. I think it goes as far back as the 50's with teenage bands doing their thang. I relate it to obscure Rock & Roll first and foremost. Ya know (now getting into the definition of Rock & Roll) Loud, Wild, Fast, Dance-able, all that...but more edgy, more amateur,simpler, and more primitive. I think it's also understood that it can creep into other actual genre's as well. Case in point, there were many white teen bands in the 60's playing soul with that Garage edge to it. I'd still call that Garage. Some bands in '67 started adding psychedelic effects, imagery and, other stuff to spice up their crude recordings. I mean hell, I don't know how many people collect Psych albums here, but the Mystic Siva album from 1970 (?) is VERY primitive, but has shades of hardrock. Is that Garage? I think it is, but who knows. All I know is...like Joey said...you know it when you hear it. I knew it when I heard it 4 years ago.
    • October 26, 2011 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 26, 2011 6:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyway let me tell you what I think...I'm disregarding everything else said to this point not out of disrespect, but so I can say how I feel without somebody saying "We already said that". I think Garage started without knowing it started. I think it goes as far back as the 50's with teenage bands doing their thang. I relate it to obscure Rock & Roll first and foremost. Ya know (now getting into the definition of Rock & Roll) Loud, Wild, Fast, Dance-able, all that...but more edgy, more amateur,simpler, and more primitive. Also, Metal & most Psychedelia are NOT Rock & Roll to me. I think it's also understood that it can creep into other actual genre's as well. Case in point, there were many white teen bands in the 60's playing soul with that Garage edge to it. I'd still call that Garage. Some bands in '67 started adding psychedelic effects, imagery and, other stuff to spice up their crude recordings. I mean hell, I don't know how many people collect Psych albums here, but the Mystic Siva album from 1970 (?) is VERY primitive, but has shades of hardrock. Is that Garage? Who knows? It would automatically break my own set rules for Rock & Roll. Therefore, it would NOT be Garage...but the fidelity and recording job sure sounds it! All I know is...like Joey said...you know it when you hear it. I knew it when I heard it 4 years ago. And I know it now. Sometimes a car commercial will play a song I really dig...and I say to myself "That sounds like Garage to me!" Some will argue that the obscurity of something determines whether or not something is Garage...but I think it's much deeper than that.
    • October 26, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey fuckup said:
      What I don't understand is, you say you have no knowledge on the subject, yet you told me that you weren't strangers to the genre. And from what I've seen in this thread, you (or all of you) have had issues with many of the responses that the Hideout members have been giving you. Why do you continue to dissect all these responses? All you're doing is pissing people off. Your claims are bogus, you say one thing, then another. I could see this discussion started by somebody who truly didn't know much about garage rock 'n' roll, but you've said you weren't strangers to it. So which is it???

k

opper we have no knowledge. only questions. you either get it or you don't is about as smug as it gets. it means nothing. it says nothing. it is an insipid cliche. it is a weak finger.
      by the way you don't have to delete nasty comments for our sake. We promise not to reply to them and start up shit.
      kopper said:

Dude, Mr. Fuckup said it best, you either get it or you don't. You and whoever the hell else you are speaking for. Try giving me that "only we know when we are satisfied" line again... CLASSIC!

I'm still waiting for you to tell us what YOU think "garage music" is.

kopper . amazing! and YOU are running the asylum. how could a rational intelligent person not  understand why people would want to know what other people think about this music. you really don't see any point in discussing it? that is an astounding admission.

every fucking person here has a different take on it. you don't want to know about that. please explain why that is of no interest to you.

WE are too weird for you? maybe this should be called the CONSERVATIVE GARAGE PUNK HIDEOUT.

by the way WE have nothing but respect for your achievement here. it is by far the best band oriented site there is. WE also understand that would not have been possible without a single vision. YOUR vision. that don't mean WE agree with everything you do or think. why would you want that? YOU definitely do not know it all anymore than WE do.

kopper said:

And why do you keep saying "we"? Are there more than one person's hands typing on your keyboard? Your posts are written as if you're speaking for some group of people or secret society. It's weird. This whole thread has been a great example of ridiculousness. It's really gone nowhere. I don't understand why you keep prodding people and why you need to know what "garage music" means to other people... what does it matter? It's what it means to YOURSELF (yourselves?) that counts. Why not tell us what YOU think it is?
    • October 26, 2011 5:27 PM CDT
    • Untitled

What I don't understand is, you say you have no knowledge on the subject, yet you told me that you weren't strangers to the genre. And from what I've seen in this thread, you (or all of you) have had issues with many of the responses that the Hideout members have been giving you. Why do you continue to dissect all these responses? All you're doing is pissing people off. Your claims are bogus, you say one thing, then another. I could see this discussion started by somebody who truly didn't know much about garage rock 'n' roll, but you've said you weren't strangers to it. So which is it???

k

opper we have no knowledge. only questions. you either get it or you don't is about as smug as it gets. it means nothing. it says nothing. it is an insipid cliche. it is a weak finger.
      by the way you don't have to delete nasty comments for our sake. We promise not to reply to them and start up shit.
      kopper said:

Dude, Mr. Fuckup said it best, you either get it or you don't. You and whoever the hell else you are speaking for. Try giving me that "only we know when we are satisfied" line again... CLASSIC!

kopper . amazing! and YOU are running the asylum. how could a rational intelligent person not  understand why people would want to know what other people think about this music. you really don't see any point in discussing it? that is an astounding admission.

every fucking person here has a different take on it. you don't want to know about that. please explain why that is of no interest to you.

WE are too weird for you? maybe this should be called the CONSERVATIVE GARAGE PUNK HIDEOUT.

by the way WE have nothing but respect for your achievement here. it is by far the best band oriented site there is. WE also understand that would not have been possible without a single vision. YOUR vision. that don't mean WE agree with everything you do or think. why would you want that? YOU definitely do not know it all anymore than WE do.

kopper said:

And why do you keep saying "we"? Are there more than one person's hands typing on your keyboard? Your posts are written as if you're speaking for some group of people or secret society. It's weird. This whole thread has been a great example of ridiculousness. It's really gone nowhere. I don't understand why you keep prodding people and why you need to know what "garage music" means to other people... what does it matter? It's what it means to YOURSELF (yourselves?) that counts. Why not tell us what YOU think it is?
    • October 26, 2011 5:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

four. we are a band. click on the stinkin picture (todd the guitarist) and listen to our sweet sounds.

Mole said:
      How many of you are there?
    • October 26, 2011 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

How many of you are there?
    • October 26, 2011 4:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

phooey! we thought it was gonna be nasty because we thought that Kopper deleted it in deference to our sensitive natures. we like that response also.

stinkyben said:

ha ha dude, i deleted my comment because i realised i,d not finished reading the discussion was just gonna let y know my take on garage music!

*No frills,gritty,raw music that takes influences from blues,rock n roll,funk,folk n whatever else an artist wants to throw in and when you listen to it feels real!

why you'd think/want it to of been a nasty nasty comment  i dono! thats just a bit  weird 

• October 26, 2011 4:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ha ha dude, i deleted my comment because i realised i,d not finished reading the discussion was just gonna let y know my take on garage music!

*No frills,gritty,raw music that takes influences from blues,rock n roll,funk,folk n whatever else an artist wants to throw in and when you listen to it feels real!

why you'd think/want it to of been a nasty nasty comment  i dono! thats just a bit  weird 

• October 26, 2011 4:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

people who don't ask questions often wind up in very bad places. read a history book. we were not dissing shaw. AGAIN!!! just fucking ASKING if  that was indeed his claim. we did not know he made THAT claim. thank you for TELLING us and sharing your knowledge. we do not have any differing knowledge about who coined the phrase. forgive us for being a bit taken aback by that claim. it was new to us.
      TK said:
      thats exactly what he said. and if you know what he was responsible for, then you know he was telling the truth, too, rest his soul.

if it werent for guys like greg shaw, wed probably all be listening to disco or some shit. do you want us to define that for you, too?

look, those of us who "get it" as joey sez dont need to go around asking each other what "garage" means to us. can you imagine the looks youd get it you went to a gig somewhere and went around asking people what garage music meant to them? youd probably get laughed out of the freakin room.

so greg shaw says he invented the term?

• October 26, 2011 4:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

k

kopper said:

kopper said:

• October 26, 2011 4:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thats exactly what he said. and if you know what he was responsible for, then you know he was telling the truth, too, rest his soul.

if it werent for guys like greg shaw, wed probably all be listening to disco or some shit. do you want us to define that for you, too?

look, those of us who "get it" as joey sez dont need to go around asking each other what "garage" means to us. can you imagine the looks youd get it you went to a gig somewhere and went around asking people what garage music meant to them? youd probably get laughed out of the freakin room.

so greg shaw says he invented the term?

• October 26, 2011 3:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 26, 2011 3:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel