Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Most SAVAGE punk bands

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 16, 2011 4:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Stooges were always kind of my basis for what punk should sound and look like and honestly, the Dead Boys were really the only first wave band (to me) that approached the vocal and physical ferocity of Iggy...Radio Birdman and The Saints may have been a close second but were pretty tame and later, The Germs were pretty damn raw.

Can you guys suggest any other punk bands (preferably from the first wave or early hardcore scene) that have that kind of spit and blood delivery, rather than the more tuneful Ramones/Buzzcocks vibe.

• October 24, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , he was very drunk , once , trying to hit on my ex. But , I did'nt know her , yet.

The last two Saints albums were very good....I did'nt go see 'em in '87 , when I had a chance , because the album they were plugging was awful.

Mr Yates said:

Melbourne band The Sick Things fit the bill 

By the way Chris Bailey drunk on cheap port is a very scary sight

• October 24, 2011 1:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , I did'nt know about that. I'll have to drive by the Stop'n'Shop and pick it up .

Miguel Virkkunen Carvalho said:

Yeah, "Loretta" is a damn good classic as well! There is "Eaterville #1" , as you might know, a compilation of some early material ('73-'75) which also includes their first two 7". A good record to have, i think.

John Battles said:

I agree. Of course , "Loretta" is an early Punk Rock classic. I'm told their second album is'nt bad. Their first , with Andy Paley ( Then still remebered as one half of the Pop - Rock pretty boys , The Paley Bros. , though he went on to produce what is probably Jerry Lee Lewis' best all - around album , "Young Blood" in 1996.), is ....OK.    THERE MUST BE ENOUGH UNRELEASED EARLY MATERIAL FOR A CD COMPILATION !!! The reformed Nervous Eaters played here , recently , but , I was'nt going to stand for 8 hours waiting for them to come on. There's some great footage on You Tube .

"Just Head" by Nervous Eaters is in my opinion one of the greastest songs done in the era of the 70s raw punk/rock n roll. In fact both of the songs on this 7" are a good example of it. Even though they released later on some material not as striking as this, i tought it should be mentioned here ;)
    • October 24, 2011 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, "Loretta" is a damn good classic as well! There is "Eaterville #1" , as you might know, a compilation of some early material ('73-'75) which also includes their first two 7". A good record to have, i think.

John Battles said:

I agree. Of course , "Loretta" is an early Punk Rock classic. I'm told their second album is'nt bad. Their first , with Andy Paley ( Then still remebered as one half of the Pop - Rock pretty boys , The Paley Bros. , though he went on to produce what is probably Jerry Lee Lewis' best all - around album , "Young Blood" in 1996.), is ....OK.    THERE MUST BE ENOUGH UNRELEASED EARLY MATERIAL FOR A CD COMPILATION !!! The reformed Nervous Eaters played here , recently , but , I was'nt going to stand for 8 hours waiting for them to come on. There's some great footage on You Tube .

"Just Head" by Nervous Eaters is in my opinion one of the greastest songs done in the era of the 70s raw punk/rock n roll. In fact both of the songs on this 7" are a good example of it. Even though they released later on some material not as striking as this, i tought it should be mentioned here ;)
    • October 23, 2011 8:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 23, 2011 8:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Phillip , Yeah , I sort of happened by The Feederz later in life , tho' I knew who they were.

I was'nt really crazy about a lot of Jello Biafra's "Discoveries"  (The Butthole Surfers being an exception , though the first time I saw 'em , they were pretty bad.  Paul Leary even volunteered that much , when I spoke with him , later.) . But I talked to a friend who happend to be Frank Discussion's ex - Roommate , and it kind of piqued my interest ....I bought the CD (Could have had the LP about 20 years ago for $5. Big mistake.) This was not a Hardcore band , nor a "Hi , we play our instruments with our ass and feet , and sing like a colonoscopy , minus anaesthesia !"  group. But , it IS plenty twisted.

"Gacy's Place" by The Mentally Ill was also on a UK bootleg comp called "Death Dealers" with Johnny Legend , The Bugs , Eddie Noack , Red River Dave , and The Uncalled 4 (Donna Reeves , R.I.P.). Plus recorded testimonies by Dahmer , Manson , Lucas and other celebrated sick fucks (Plus , a cover painting , by Gacy , of Elvis. I guess no pictures of him with The Kinks could be procured.).

The Mentally Ill staged an extremely low key comeback ,by appearing on "Chic - A - Go-Go"  (Chicago Public Access. It's probably up on You Boob.) . They were in the process of recording a new CD , with Steve Albini. The CD , "Spank The Bottom Red" , never officially came out (Which is a shame , as they basically picked up where they left off.) , though copies (With a 3-D cover) have turned up , in small numbers , around Chicagoland ....

When Joe Losurdo's Chicago Punk documentary "You Were'nt There" had it's debut at The Portage Theatre , The reformed (As opposed to Orthodox) Mentally Ill played their first gig , EVER (Depending on who's telling the story , the band did a couple of , or no , gigs , around the Late 70's - Early 80's.)at the after party . Lead singer , Larry/Sado Marquis , turned up at the screening  , with his wife and kids , in a Limo. The band has done a total of three shows , to my knowledge. I saw two of them , they were great !

Phillip Jaggar said:

The Feederz kill. I just got the "Ever Feel like killing you boss?" LP and I can't put it down. Super snotty and offensive. 

The Mentally Ill are amazing too. Gacy's place is on KBD 2 and Alt Tentacles put out a collection of their songs in 04'. It's great all around cept for the reworked vocals they put on a few songs. wicked fuzz and SUPER offensive.

Angry Samoans- nuff said.

• October 23, 2011 5:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 23, 2011 8:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Feederz kill. I just got the "Ever Feel like killing you boss?" LP and I can't put it down. Super snotty and offensive. 

The Mentally Ill are amazing too. Gacy's place is on KBD 2 and Alt Tentacles put out a collection of their songs in 04'. It's great all around cept for the reworked vocals they put on a few songs. wicked fuzz and SUPER offensive.

Angry Samoans- nuff said.

• October 22, 2011 2:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow. That was Johnny's thing , then,being the "Folk Singer", and having someone in the audience loan him their hat , and somebody giving him a joint. Snorting disco drugs on stage ? Wow! How Devil May Care. Rickey Rat ? You mean , from the Trash Brats? I have a very funny tape of Johnny from '89 in Detroit. The comedy is better than the music !

"This is Sally . Sally Butthole . She's one of The Butthole Surfers."    "Le'me tell yuh bowt thuh first time ah got FUCKED. AH WUZ WITH THIS BLEACHED BLONDE AFTUH UH VAGRANTS CAHHNCERT.".        "Ah went tuh  the John Mayall University oh British Blooze Guitah -rists...Eric Clapton , Peter Green , Mick Taylor..."

Brian T. Kirchner said:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that Teenage Head were backing up Thunders. At the conclusion of the Viletones set Steve announced that he was going to smash a Gibson Les Paul onstage.He destroyed the guitar but it wasn't a Gibson--just a cheap knock-off. The Thunders set was amazing. Johnny had joints in his mouth through the whole set and would occasionally crouch down to do lines of coke off his amp. The next night we got to see The Forgotten Rebels at Larry's Hideaway. It was my first trip to Toronto, accompanied by Ricky Rat & his girlfriend. It was a weekend that I'll never forget.
    • October 22, 2011 5:41 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Melbourne band The Sick Things fit the bill 

By the way Chris Bailey drunk on cheap port is a very scary sight

• October 22, 2011 12:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I should have mentioned that Teenage Head were backing up Thunders. At the conclusion of the Viletones set Steve announced that he was going to smash a Gibson Les Paul onstage.He destroyed the guitar but it wasn't a Gibson--just a cheap knock-off. The Thunders set was amazing. Johnny had joints in his mouth through the whole set and would occasionally crouch down to do lines of coke off his amp. The next night we got to see The Forgotten Rebels at Larry's Hideaway. It was my first trip to Toronto, accompanied by Ricky Rat & his girlfriend. It was a weekend that I'll never forget.
    • October 21, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , highly recommended. I made the mistake of not buying that Live album when it briefly appeared...I got in touch , very briefly , with Andy Blade , a few years ago. He seems like a good cat. Eater was unique , not just for their ages , they also had an unusual sound for the time. That guitar sound , especially....Other UK Punk bands were influenced by Glam , too , but were probably much more closeted about it. 

Dead Boy said:

The Stiffs - Fuck You

The Subhumans - Fuck You

"The Eater Chronicles" is highly recommend!

• October 21, 2011 1:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Some younger people are impressed that I even saw Thunders , but , WITH The Viletones? There's no"Only" in that sentence. Did'nt know about the live album.  Hope I can find it , some day.  Their myspace had or has some really good , more recent , live footage....Leckie's people contacted me a month or two ago , because I sent him a message....Three years ago ! But , they were very gracious , regarding the delay. When Johnny played in Chicago for the last time , in '89 , well...it was'nt very good. There were moments. But , a friend saw him in Vancouver the week before of after , backed by members of Teenage Head , and he said that it was everything Johnny should have ever been.  

Brian T. Kirchner said:
      Although it wasn't the original line-up, the Viletones' Saturday Night/Sunday Morning is a great live lp. There wasn't any of their output that I didn't like. I only got to see them once--they were opening for Johnny Thunders at (I think) the Horseshoe Tavern back in '85.
    • October 20, 2011 10:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Although it wasn't the original line-up, the Viletones' Saturday Night/Sunday Morning is a great live lp. There wasn't any of their output that I didn't like. I only got to see them once--they were opening for Johnny Thunders at (I think) the Horseshoe Tavern back in '85.
    • October 20, 2011 10:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In St. Paul, back in the early 80's, there was a band called "The Attack" who were an amazing Stooges clone. I used to work in the stock department at a major store in that town and often saw the lead singer who would be coming back from physical therapy! Now we both work as librarians in our respective cities(minneapolis for me and st paul for him).
    • October 20, 2011 7:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Stiffs - Fuck You

The Subhumans - Fuck You

"The Eater Chronicles" is highly recommend!

• October 19, 2011 10:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dogs - Slash your face.  Savage.

• October 19, 2011 4:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Skrewdriver - "I Don't Like You"

I'm always hesitant in bringing up their name due to all that ugly racist crap Ian Stuart's later incarnation of the band was responsible for. But, this is a hell of an album/ep with a very snotty, raw, almost folkiness quality to it at times. They may be gods amongst the white power types, but that Nazi stuff has kept their name from rarely being uttered or their songs included on any punk retrospectives.

• October 19, 2011 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Viletones killed. Even Steve Leckie's "Reunion" CD is pretty f'in rockin'. Just because they had a proper producer , did'nt mean they could'nt stand up to the likes of The Dead Boys (Who also had a proper producer.) . Easily their Canadian counterparts.
      Brian T. Kirchner said:
      How about The Viletones or The Sinisters?

Nick X said:
      I love that song "Situations" by Slaughter and the Dogs but it's more of a powerpop tune than what I was referring to in the opening of this thread. I have the album 'Do it Dog Style', I'll have to give it another spin.

Dad Swamp said:
      slaughter and the dogs were a great early band check out "Where have all the boot boys gone" Crass were probably the most uncompromising of the british bands, The "feeding of the five thousand " still sounds great over 30 years later" Do they owe us a living " and "Banned from the roxy" are particular favourites, also Steve Albini's Big Black are well worth a listen particulary "Kerosene" . Killing Joke's "Whats This For" sounded pretty brutal when it first came out.
    • October 19, 2011 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I like Slaughter and The Dogs , also Eater , Lurkers , and even lesser - knowns like The Drones , Users , Killjoys (Keith Rowland from Dexy's Midnight Runners , Gil Weston from Girlschool), Suburban Studs , etc. . There was another band called The Raped , all younger than Eater , and very rough and raw sounding.     I saw Slaughter and The Dogs a couple of times on the comeback trail , They rocked. The Adverts , too , got by on a minimum of musical ability. That's not a putdown , their songs were great , but , they were limited , even by "Punk " standards.

BUT , the band who put the boot in all their "Arses" was'nt considered a Punk band at all. The Pirates.   The Troggs and The Downliners Sect also experienced a mini - resurgence in the wake of The UK Punk movement. The Troggs even did a few non - Oldies club tours , here in the States , which they should be doing , now.
      Nick X said:

I love that song "Situations" by Slaughter and the Dogs but it's more of a powerpop tune than what I was referring to in the opening of this thread. I have the album 'Do it Dog Style', I'll have to give it another spin.

Dad Swamp said:
      slaughter and the dogs were a great early band check out "Where have all the boot boys gone" Crass were probably the most uncompromising of the british bands, The "feeding of the five thousand " still sounds great over 30 years later" Do they owe us a living " and "Banned from the roxy" are particular favourites, also Steve Albini's Big Black are well worth a listen particulary "Kerosene" . Killing Joke's "Whats This For" sounded pretty brutal when it first came out.
    • October 19, 2011 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Satan's Rats - "You Make Me Sick". The Motards from Texas did a great cover of this in the 90's

• October 19, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

How bout Crime from San Francisco? They always seemed pretty mean to me!!! Maybe the Dead Boys were a good live act but their records suck for the most part!! Was extremely disappointed with their first album, and the second one's even worse!!!! The production sound i'm talking about more than anything else.
    • October 18, 2011 10:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How about The Viletones or The Sinisters?

Nick X said:

Dad Swamp said:
    • October 18, 2011 10:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Dad Swamp said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel