Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Most SAVAGE punk bands

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 18, 2011 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thomas , I was joking. When he was living , few people would have put it past Bobby to add a little something "Special" to the pizza , even if he never did. I think , later , Bobby became increasingly unemployable. I'd see him doing odd jobs , sometimes , like working the concession stand at The Arcadia Theatre (Ironically , at a Ramones show, years after  letting a friend take the fall for spitting on Johnny Ramone.) or helping do the door at The Twilite Room , but , those were one - offs at best. The TV appearance where he's shown working as a Cook was probably about 80 or 81. I met him in '82 , and only saw him around , occasionally , because I could'nt get into the clubs , yet. Then ,  I saw him more frequently around and after '83. He seemed too erratic , by the mid -80's , to hold down a regular job.      It's true , performing with his band , Stickmen With Rayguns , was probably his primary source of income. They gigged quite a bit , and were patronized by The Butthole Surfers , but , they probably did'nt make any more or less than the next band. Some venues paid , if they could , or if they felt like it , while others never did. I played at some of the same places they did , so , I knew about that.                     John.  

Thomas Marshall said:
      If Bobby's trying to pay the bills because a musician's wage isn't anything then I would do the same in that situation and I would have eaten there out of respect for Bobby. Most musicians don't get paid.
    • October 18, 2011 4:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If Bobby's trying to pay the bills because a musician's wage isn't anything then I would do the same in that situation and I would have eaten there out of respect for Bobby. Most musicians don't get paid.
    • October 18, 2011 1:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

slaughter and the dogs were a great early band check out "Where have all the boot boys gone" Crass were probably the most uncompromising of the british bands, The "feeding of the five thousand " still sounds great over 30 years later" Do they owe us a living " and "Banned from the roxy" are particular favourites, also Steve Albini's Big Black are well worth a listen particulary "Kerosene" . Killing Joke's "Whats This For" sounded pretty brutal when it first came out.
    • October 18, 2011 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:
      I've heard even better than that , but , I really should'nt repeat it. There IS a video , somewhere on You Boob of Bobby on the TV news , yep , working in a pizza place. I would not have wanted to have eaten THERE ! Ha Ha.Yeah , the name sounds familiar , but , not sure. You can tell 'em I said hi , if you like , and see if they go , "OH , GOD !!! NOT HIM !!".

Nick X said:
      It's cool to hear more stories about Bobby. My parent's friend (maybe the name Craig Roberts rings a bell?) was telling me that Bobby used to work at a pizza shop and live with his parents and one day he ran into him sleeping in a shopping cart in front of a grocery because he had gone home the night before, after a show, and his parents had moved without telling him.

John Battles said:

Nick , I knew Bobby Soxx , back in the 80's in Dallas. Maybe I knew your Mom and Dad ( I don't want to intrude on their privacy ,of course.).

Yeah , he had a reputation for being crazy , but , mostly , he was just annoying. He was one of those "Look at me ! I'm weird !!!" urban attention seeker types. I did'nt get along with him too well , but that was all kid's stuff.

I only really conversed with him , maybe 4 or 5 times....One could be forgiven for thinking he was generally harmless. I did. I never actually saw him involved in any acts of violence. He struck me as kind of a Punk Rock Ernest T. Bass. Living to piss people off , but , at the end of the day , he did'nt seem like he meant any , or much , harm. Of course , there were incidents. Like the time he slashed The Stranglers' tires at  The Hot Klub because he was'nt allowed backstage to see them. Or making a friend take the fall for his spitting on Johnny Ramone at a Ramones concert. Then - Ramones Roadie, John  Felice of The Real Kids , was sent by Johnny to beat the shit out of the other guy , while Bobby laughed.  But , when he went to prison for the attempted murder of his Girlfriend , there was'nt anything to laugh about. He did 2 or 3 years (?) , and got clean , but fell back on the old ways , and passed away several years ago , from Cirrhosis and other complications. He played one "Comeback" gig ,  backed by either The Telefones (Who played on "Scavenger of Death") or a thrown together group , I forget which. 

Nick X said:

Well, I guess I'll have to check them out now. Just out of the blue, my parents knew Bobby Soxx from the Stick Men with Ray Guns growing up and they said he was about as crazy as you can imagine.

joey fuckup said:

Ha, well, the small rock 'n' roll world we live in...G.G. was best friends with Jeff, matter of fact they recorded together as the Murder Junkies way back in the day. There is an album out of their collaborations, and they did a lot of shows together.
    • October 17, 2011 9:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've heard even better than that , but , I really should'nt repeat it. There IS a video , somewhere on You Boob of Bobby on the TV news , yep , working in a pizza place. I would not have wanted to have eaten THERE ! Ha Ha.Yeah , the name sounds familiar , but , not sure. You can tell 'em I said hi , if you like , and see if they go , "OH , GOD !!! NOT HIM !!".

Nick X said:
      It's cool to hear more stories about Bobby. My parent's friend (maybe the name Craig Roberts rings a bell?) was telling me that Bobby used to work at a pizza shop and live with his parents and one day he ran into him sleeping in a shopping cart in front of a grocery because he had gone home the night before, after a show, and his parents had moved without telling him.

John Battles said:

Nick , I knew Bobby Soxx , back in the 80's in Dallas. Maybe I knew your Mom and Dad ( I don't want to intrude on their privacy ,of course.).

Yeah , he had a reputation for being crazy , but , mostly , he was just annoying. He was one of those "Look at me ! I'm weird !!!" urban attention seeker types. I did'nt get along with him too well , but that was all kid's stuff.

I only really conversed with him , maybe 4 or 5 times....One could be forgiven for thinking he was generally harmless. I did. I never actually saw him involved in any acts of violence. He struck me as kind of a Punk Rock Ernest T. Bass. Living to piss people off , but , at the end of the day , he did'nt seem like he meant any , or much , harm. Of course , there were incidents. Like the time he slashed The Stranglers' tires at  The Hot Klub because he was'nt allowed backstage to see them. Or making a friend take the fall for his spitting on Johnny Ramone at a Ramones concert. Then - Ramones Roadie, John  Felice of The Real Kids , was sent by Johnny to beat the shit out of the other guy , while Bobby laughed.  But , when he went to prison for the attempted murder of his Girlfriend , there was'nt anything to laugh about. He did 2 or 3 years (?) , and got clean , but fell back on the old ways , and passed away several years ago , from Cirrhosis and other complications. He played one "Comeback" gig ,  backed by either The Telefones (Who played on "Scavenger of Death") or a thrown together group , I forget which. 

Nick X said:

Well, I guess I'll have to check them out now. Just out of the blue, my parents knew Bobby Soxx from the Stick Men with Ray Guns growing up and they said he was about as crazy as you can imagine.

joey fuckup said:

Ha, well, the small rock 'n' roll world we live in...G.G. was best friends with Jeff, matter of fact they recorded together as the Murder Junkies way back in the day. There is an album out of their collaborations, and they did a lot of shows together.
    • October 17, 2011 9:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Nick X said:

joey fuckup said:

• October 17, 2011 9:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep the Saints got screwed over by bad timing! They made it before the Ramones.
    • October 17, 2011 8:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nick X said:

joey fuckup said:

• October 17, 2011 8:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thomas , Yeah , I did'nt see that you left this , before....The CD " The Most Primitive Rock'n'Roll Band in The World" (sic) has their demos on it from , like , 1974. Super nasty sounding Punk before most people called it that.

Thomas Marshall said:
      The Saints recorded a lot earlier too
    • October 17, 2011 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd say both , plus the Dolls , Sonics , Wailers , ? and The Mysterians , Troggs , early Stones , Pretty Things and a few contempos - Heartbreakers , Real Kids , Ramones.

Mike said:

Maybe more MC5ish than Stoogesish

• October 17, 2011 8:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They are really cool people. And , they have a lot of reverence. When I first saw Antiseen (Ironically , I'd just come back from seeing David Allan Coe) , this had to be over 15 years ago , Jeff Clayton was earlier into his "Juicing" (What it's called when Wrestlers induce bleeding from their foreheads.) stage , and ,as I recall , his forehead still looked about average.He broke two shot glasses on his forehead ,  just by rammin' them real hard against his skull. I have'nt seen them , live , since then , but , they appeared on "Chic- A - Go Go", and Jeff DID look like a hardened Professional Wrestler about the forehead.  Which does'nt help , I know , but , if you like GG , you should like Antiseen. They were friends of his , and recorded an album with him called "Murder Junkies" (No connection to the band.).       But , bands I could recommend. HMMMM. That's a tall order , for someone who finds The Saints and Radio Birdman good but "Lame" sounding.

Actually , have you heard that CD of very early Saints demos , from 1974 , I think , THAT'S some raw , fucked up Stoogeified Punk Rock SHIT !!   Mentally Ill , Vomit Pigs , Dot Vaeth Group , Pack (Germany) , Teenage Jesus and The Jerks (You might think they're "Arty" or something , but they're about as abrasive as it gets) , Chosen Few (Australia) , Pork Dukes (UK) , Kids (Belgium) , Hubble Bubble (Belgium - May or may not be your thing , but , check 'em out.) ..... I'll try to think of some others.

joey fuckup said:

Well, one band that came out in the early '80's (and are still around) are ANTiSEEN. Not sure if you are familiar with them, but the lead singer belts out some throaty vocals over ballsy Southern hardcore punk. One of his trademarks is to take a broken bottle and repeatedly jab it into his forehead until blood is pouring down his face. He's done this so many times, he now just has scar tissue on his brow. I've gotten to hang out with the band and interview its frontman Jeff Clayton for a podcast I used to be on. He's actually a nice guy, but it's balls out fury when he hits the stage. The band are Southerners, so expect Confederate flags, pro wrestling homages (they've done shows before with barb wire strung up on the stage), hardcore covers of old honky tonk songs, and salutes to the American troops. They're pretty much the real deal.
    • October 17, 2011 8:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

An important band too.
    • October 17, 2011 8:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hell yeah the Candy Snatchers are great. Don't forget the Dirtys, too. And the early Killed By Death comps. And I can't help but think about the Fun Things when reading the title of this thread!

Richard Metcalf said:

There's two bands which immediately spring to mind for me. Poison Idea and The Candy Snatchers. I'm a technicological retard so look 'em up yourselves. Both had guitarists who died, one because he was the size of a house and another because of self induced chemical inbalances. Punk as fuck or what!
    • October 17, 2011 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Delving into early hardcore maybe

The Fix from Michigan

for some piss n blood delivery, maybe the Fuck Ups from San francisco

The Mad from NYC. Of course "I Hate Music" is their most known song.

And as cartoonish as they were, and as bad as they got, Wendy O had a pretty raunchy voice. Though they always called themselves Heavy Metal or New Wave, not punk. (Sorry for the cheesy video game thing, it's the only vid I found for this song on Youtube)

• October 17, 2011 1:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe more MC5ish than Stoogesish

• October 17, 2011 11:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Saints recorded a lot earlier too
    • October 17, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

EATER is great teenage snot. Recording before the Sex Pistols and years younger than them too, if you're looking for early stuff.
    • October 17, 2011 8:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's two bands which immediately spring to mind for me. Poison Idea and The Candy Snatchers. I'm a technicological retard so look 'em up yourselves. Both had guitarists who died, one because he was the size of a house and another because of self induced chemical inbalances. Punk as fuck or what!
    • October 17, 2011 7:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Pagans - Nowhere To Run

X Blank X - You`re Full Of Shit

Gasoline - Killer Man

• October 17, 2011 6:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RAZAR
    • October 17, 2011 12:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

enjoy
    • October 16, 2011 10:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• October 16, 2011 10:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Thanks, good stuff kopper. I'm adding some videos of bands I just thought of that are relevant to my request:

kopper said:

Pagans. 'Nuff said.

• October 16, 2011 9:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 16, 2011 9:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Early Bad Brains instantly comes to mind if you're not already into them. They were totally uncompromising and HR was a brilliant frontman 

http://youtu.be/_-7tryyJ0Ro

A latter day one that comes to mind would have to be AMEN, again, Casey Chaos is a nuts front man with plenty of Iggyisms

http://youtu.be/ouEBWQGSkzE

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel