Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Recommend some Japanese bands (preferably girl bands)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 20, 2011 10:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i like the fly and his one man garbage, he's a cool one man band

http://youtu.be/KojS8QaeN80

• November 5, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I have that , too. Jeff Dahl is a great guy. He played in Chicago , just once , and the club did nothing to promote it , because they thought he was just some guy....But ,he did a block of cover songs , I think it was Sonic Reducer , Slow Death , Search and Destroy, and maybe Next Big Thing or Two Tub Man, I forget....aMERICAN sOUL sPIDERS , some of 'em , anyway , morphed into the better - known Teengenerate.  I saw them twice in one night. They played at The Fireside Bowl (Mentioned elsewhere) and at The Empty Bottle. Nice guys , Fink spoke a little English. He asked me why they would'nt let people bowl at the Fireside Bowl "We wanted...to bowl , there.". They sounded a LOT better than their records (Sorry , the whole Lo - Fi and No - Fi thing had me thinking "Did y'ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".....).  I got suckered into buying records I'd only send back after two plays.

Alexander said:
      It`s not a girl band-but I have a single from Jeff Dahl with THE AMERICAN SOUL SPIDERS called"living in the shadows" incredible!!!I have lots of good music but what J.Dahl and these Japanese Boys made is great!!!!5 Songs on two 7 inches(3rd generation nation,livin´in the shadows,slow death,junkies deserve to die,ramblin´rose).And the version of SLOW DEATH is the best ever played version of this monolithic song.Everytime when I was dj-ing in clubs-this was areal highlight.try to get it!!!!!!!!
    • November 5, 2011 12:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It`s not a girl band-but I have a single from Jeff Dahl with THE AMERICAN SOUL SPIDERS called"living in the shadows" incredible!!!I have lots of good music but what J.Dahl and these Japanese Boys made is great!!!!5 Songs on two 7 inches(3rd generation nation,livin´in the shadows,slow death,junkies deserve to die,ramblin´rose).And the version of SLOW DEATH is the best ever played version of this monolithic song.Everytime when I was dj-ing in clubs-this was areal highlight.try to get it!!!!!!!!
    • October 26, 2011 4:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HoloDeck , Wow. The Fireside in it's "Heyday". I just walked by there for the first time in years. It's now a working Bowling Alley , which it was'nt , about a year after they started having bands , there. It used to be , you could bowl while the bands were playing. IF they felt like turning the shit on. Once , we waited 2 hours. It's a pretty good video , you get to see The Fireside in all it's splendor....even the ladies' room. I don't know why whoever got IT so neat and clean could'nt put on a gasmask and spray some detergent and several cans of Lysol in the men's room on occasion. I know it's all "Punk Rock " and stuff , but , for all the infamy CBGB's garnered in their day for stankodorous restrooms , The Fireside's men's room , and Ronnies , in general had 'em beat by a New York Mile. Anyway , I think I saw myself , here. Maybe I was at this show. It sure as Hell was'nt SXSW , as noted. That'd be 1000 miles south . Good joke , tho'.
    • October 26, 2011 3:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuatcmILIFo

Puffy Shoes

I don't think they've been posted yet, they are deceptively talented and offer a fair range of ultra lo fi styles with fairly twee lyrics.

If you're into noise, which Boredoms makes me think you might be

Afrirampo

OOlOO

Melt-banana

midori

That's all I can think of right now, sorry if I reposted something.

• October 13, 2011 5:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I noticed they switch off , a little , from Japanese to English. If you ever see Japanese TV , or look at the text in their magazines , they will go back and forth , sometimes , from one to the other. Even some of their movies will have limited English dialogue....I saw the undubbed , Japanese release version of "Godzilla Vs. Biolante". The American characters in the film say things like "That fucking Godzilla! " "Goddamn you ,  Godzilla !" , as if we really talk that way.

Oh , yeah. We do.

John Battles said:

I have a video , somewhere , of a Japanese girl group , all dressed like Cherie Curie , blonde wigs , stack heels , bustierre and all , doing a Disco version of "Cherry Bomb". I could'nt tell you who it was , because it was just on a compilation of Japanese Pop and MOR bands , and most of them are not identified. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I DJ in Japan with a bunch of locals cats and a very nice one called MEG THE EYEBALL played THE GIRLS at a recent gig! It was a note for note version of "Cherry Bomb" but with Japanese lyrics... lo and behold I found it on Youtube!

Suzanne Walter said:

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.
    • October 13, 2011 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a video , somewhere , of a Japanese girl group , all dressed like Cherie Curie , blonde wigs , stack heels , bustierre and all , doing a Disco version of "Cherry Bomb". I could'nt tell you who it was , because it was just on a compilation of Japanese Pop and MOR bands , and most of them are not identified. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I DJ in Japan with a bunch of locals cats and a very nice one called MEG THE EYEBALL played THE GIRLS at a recent gig! It was a note for note version of "Cherry Bomb" but with Japanese lyrics... lo and behold I found it on Youtube!

Suzanne Walter said:

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.
    • October 13, 2011 4:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

KING BROS. , THOSE GUYS WERE BATSHIT CRAZY !!!!   I was'nt into their music , heavily ,but they put on one wildass show.

My lady friend , who's Amerasian ( Her Mom's Taiwanese.)  , her band opened for them. One of them said "THIS SONG...IS ..CALLED ...CHINESE MEETS JAPANESE IN THE USA !!!". My friend said ,  "Oh , my God ! That's exactly what happened , too !".

DammitDave said:

King Brothers!
    • October 13, 2011 4:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sturnin' Bread ? That's pretty funny. Maybe they had difficulty saying "Shortnin' Bread" , phonetically. Or maybe they only had it on a tape....It's possible. I'm not making fun. This is the old standard "Shortnin' Bread" (I might be misspelling the misspelling of "Shortening" , here..Sorry.) , rocked up by The Readymen and others...I think Hugh Barrett and The Victors ("There Was a Fungus Among Us")  did it , too....The Cramps based their cover version on The Readymen's version.
      "
      Caveman said:
    • October 13, 2011 11:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well. this WAS the Back from the Grave HALLOWEEN Ball, but I've seen 'em enough times to know you speak the truth!

Atomic Suplex said:
      I give the Go Devils points just for their outfits.
    • October 13, 2011 10:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I give the Go Devils points just for their outfits.
    • October 13, 2011 9:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can't believe I neglected THE GO-DEVILS! Hadda sift thru my own blog fer shame!

• October 13, 2011 4:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Marty! I always wondered what happened to them just sort assuming they vanished from the world, but I'm already google-ing as I reply. Sort of.
    • October 12, 2011 7:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ryoko from Thug Murder formed a kinda Joan Jett-influenced kinda hardcore band called Last Target.

Bass player Chisato was in punk/metal band The Vickers and now has an all girl punk band called Timeless Timber who I haven't seen yet.

Another all girl band in this punk scene worth mentioning is Softball and Akiakane, the lead singer's band after they broke up.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

I always liked the street punk/oi of Thug Murder and the guitar assault of Yellow Machinegun. Neither are garage, but both are excellent
    • October 12, 2011 4:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Spookey are good, we played with them a few years ago in Glasgow (thanks, Tony...). D.
    • October 12, 2011 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

To The Surfites , thanks for expounding on that , and posting the videos.  I think I did spell Eleki wrong....But , I had the pleasure of meeting three of the surviving members of The Golden Cups , last year , as well as Alan Merrill (An article about this forum on Group Sound music appears in the current Roctober.    www.roctober.com  ). They briefly , but enthusiastically , recalled the days when Yuzo was one of their only homegrown Rock 'n' Roll heroes .

The Surfites said:

In addition to Emy Jackson and Japanese girl group sounds, I can really recommend a great and readily available comp on Ace Records called Nippon Girls:

John Battles said:

But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.

Yeah, Yuzo Kayama (and Takeshi Terauchi!) and the whole mid 60's Japanese Eleki boom were great!

Here's Kayama with his famous "Black Sand Beach" from a 1966 live performance:

And here's the song again in the 1965 Eleki No Wakadaisho movie (notice Takeshi Terauchi guest appearing second from left, Kayama to the right of him):

• October 12, 2011 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always liked the street punk/oi of Thug Murder and the guitar assault of Yellow Machinegun. Neither are garage, but both are excellent
    • October 12, 2011 12:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

our favorite japanese shit is the stalin for sure,not a garage band,but an amazing punk act

and thee bat for sure

• October 12, 2011 11:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Suzanne Walter said:

• October 12, 2011 9:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool!  I didn't know about her.  "Crying In A Storm" which I know is Maria Anzai's version. :/

http://youtu.be/0VTI1-B8Fs4

I saw Yuzo Kayama on a couple TV programs some months ago, and he said that he plays video game "Resident Evil" series recently!

The Angry Breed said:

Emy Jackson!

• October 12, 2011 4:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would recomend the three Tsunami Rock and Roll compilations for contemporary Japanese garage rock.
    • October 12, 2011 3:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In addition to Emy Jackson and Japanese girl group sounds, I can really recommend a great and readily available comp on Ace Records called Nippon Girls:

John Battles said:

But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.

Yeah, Yuzo Kayama (and Takeshi Terauchi!) and the whole mid 60's Japanese Eleki boom were great!

Here's Kayama with his famous "Black Sand Beach" from a 1966 live performance:

And here's the song again in the 1965 Eleki No Wakadaisho movie (notice Takeshi Terauchi guest appearing second from left, Kayama to the right of him):

• October 11, 2011 6:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Emy Jackson!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel