Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Recommend some Japanese bands (preferably girl bands)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 11, 2011 3:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.
    • October 11, 2011 3:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Switch Trout
    • October 11, 2011 2:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah that's cool. They were very good as I recall. The night we played with them at the UFO is a bit hazy. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

Here's a vid I particularly like by a recent favorite... THE PAPPYS!

Sorry Mike. No west coast plans for Theee Bat as of yet.

Mike said:

Marty,

Are Theee Bat going to make it to the west coast at all?

• October 11, 2011 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....Allan Merrill was also in The Dynamites.

John Battles said:

....I kind of got off most of the Japanese Garage bands that were popular (Well , KNOWN TO SOME , put it that way.) mainly in the 90's. I liked The Sleez Sisters , still do , tho' I only have one single and maybe a track on a comp (If I did'nt trade it in.). Just kinda fun , catchy  all - girl Punk. I still like Mescaline Drive , who were an all - girl Psych/Garage / Pop outfit. Very catchy tunes. There's live video on youboob (Touche , Kopper.) .

But , I'm a little surprised , seems no one's mentioned Group Sound , where this whole thing began in Japan. Group Sound is what they called the mid - 60's Anglo - American - influenced bands in Japan. A lot of this stuff is pretty insane , fuzztone overload sonic boom , but , some , like The Tigers , who were huge in Japan , is more Pop - oriented. Some bands swung both ways. Musically. But , I'd recommend The Spiders , Golden Cups , Carnabeats , Voltage , Beavers , Dynamites , Outkast , Playboy , Rangers , Swing West....The Spiders and Golden Cups were among the biggest , so there IS footage on You Tube, more of The Spiders , last I checked. The excellent "G.S. I Love You" series on Big Beat , curated by Alec Palao , will definitely set you in the right direction. That , and the Teen Trash From Tokyo series (3 volumes , released on colored vinyl , from Italy , they tell us. These came out Late 80'S OR EARLY 90's.) , if you can track 'em down....But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.  Elecki was inspired by The Ventures and Surf music. If you like Los Straitjackets , you already like Elecki. As Group Sound took over , Kayawa got into film sountracks , including some of the popular Giant Monster -Sci Fi films. But , his work in that area was also very Psych and Garage oriented.  I think he still records today. I saw video from just a few years ago , and it still sounded like the early Elecki stuff.  I've only recently taken any interest in post - GS Japanese Rock , but , the first Glam band inJapan , Vodka Collins , come recommended by me , and probably several others , here. Vodka Collins was actually lead by  a White guy from the East Coast , Alan Merrill , with two Japanese band members. Man's Ruin put out a CD of their recordings , very Bowie/Bolanesque with a good , hard guitar sound. Merrill moved to the UK ,and had a hit with The Arrows. That song would go on to be one of the biggest Rock singles by a female artist in the last Quarter of the 20TH Century.

"I Love Rock'n' Roll".

• October 11, 2011 8:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The host of this TV program was Jun Inoue of the Spiders!

I recalled American Soul Spiders.

• October 11, 2011 8:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, I see John did above. Never mind! ;)

kopper said:
      I don't think anyone's mentioned the '60s Japanese band The Spiders yet. That's some great stuff, too!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 11, 2011 8:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't think anyone's mentioned the '60s Japanese band The Spiders yet. That's some great stuff, too!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 11, 2011 6:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The first one is not a Japanese band.  I guess they're Chinese, and Looks like the "Girls in the Garage" comp doesn't include any Japanese band, but I'm not sure.

Mina said:

• October 10, 2011 11:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a vid I particularly like by a recent favorite... THE PAPPYS!

Sorry Mike. No west coast plans for Theee Bat as of yet.

Mike said:

Marty,

• October 10, 2011 8:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....I kind of got off most of the Japanese Garage bands that were popular (Well , KNOWN TO SOME , put it that way.) mainly in the 90's. I liked The Sleez Sisters , still do , tho' I only have one single and maybe a track on a comp (If I did'nt trade it in.). Just kinda fun , catchy  all - girl Punk. I still like Mescaline Drive , who were an all - girl Psych/Garage / Pop outfit. Very catchy tunes. There's live video on youboob (Touche , Kopper.) .

But , I'm a little surprised , seems no one's mentioned Group Sound , where this whole thing began in Japan. Group Sound is what they called the mid - 60's Anglo - American - influenced bands in Japan. A lot of this stuff is pretty insane , fuzztone overload sonic boom , but , some , like The Tigers , who were huge in Japan , is more Pop - oriented. Some bands swung both ways. Musically. But , I'd recommend The Spiders , Golden Cups , Carnabeats , Voltage , Beavers , Dynamites , Outkast , Playboy , Rangers , Swing West....The Spiders and Golden Cups were among the biggest , so there IS footage on You Tube, more of The Spiders , last I checked. The excellent "G.S. I Love You" series on Big Beat , curated by Alec Palao , will definitely set you in the right direction. That , and the Teen Trash From Tokyo series (3 volumes , released on colored vinyl , from Italy , they tell us. These came out Late 80'S OR EARLY 90's.) , if you can track 'em down....But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.  Elecki was inspired by The Ventures and Surf music. If you like Los Straitjackets , you already like Elecki. As Group Sound took over , Kayawa got into film sountracks , including some of the popular Giant Monster -Sci Fi films. But , his work in that area was also very Psych and Garage oriented.  I think he still records today. I saw video from just a few years ago , and it still sounded like the early Elecki stuff.  I've only recently taken any interest in post - GS Japanese Rock , but , the first Glam band inJapan , Vodka Collins , come recommended by me , and probably several others , here. Vodka Collins was actually lead by  a White guy from the East Coast , Alan Merrill , with two Japanese band members. Man's Ruin put out a CD of their recordings , very Bowie/Bolanesque with a good , hard guitar sound. Merrill moved to the UK ,and had a hit with The Arrows. That song would go on to be one of the biggest Rock singles by a female artist in the last Quarter of the 20TH Century.

"I Love Rock'n' Roll".

• October 10, 2011 6:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Marty,

I am going to say first and foremost THEEE BAT & THE FADEAWAYS only because they are coming to the east coast US and they have releases (forthcoming 7" by THE FADEAWAYS) on my label, you heard it here first! Check my profile for dates.

If you have time, sift through my blogs & listen to my uploads.

Some groups I carry on my shop are:

VIVIAN BOYS

ED WOODS

MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN

JET BOYS

STOMPIN' RIFF RAFFS

Some girl bands:

THEEE 50's HIGH TEENS

SPOOKEY

BELLY BUTTON

I also have a number of DVDs and comps with Japanese surf, garage, mods bands.

Some girl bands I have booked at my shows are:

THE PAPPYS

The MADAME CATS

KANNANA SPEEDCATS

THE FEMININE

THE HARPY's (ex FALSIES ON HEAT)

THE MERCIES

VILLAINZ

THE PHANTASMS

Other mentionables:

SIX

THAT'S A NO NO

THE CLICKS

SPANDEX

THE LUBIES

THE LET'S GO'S

THE SOAP

For more classic Japanese girl bands, definitely check out Benten Label/Sister Records, run by Audery Kimura who is responsible for Japan Nite which started out as Japan Girls Nite years ago. Some of the classics are:

LOLITA NO.18

PETTY BOOKA

MUMMY THE PEEPSHOW

FLAMINGO A GO GO

among many others that don't right fit the garage/punk mold exactly.

Sorry I am too lazy and frustrated with my slow computer to post links. All can be found using google and most have live vids or music vids on Youtube. Feel free to pic one out and post it. I might actually do that later for couple that I want to post individually. But this should be enough to keep you busy for now.

• October 10, 2011 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are the Raydios still around? Those were the guys from Teengenerate, right?
    • October 10, 2011 3:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was just about to say ask Marty, hehe ;)

I am going to say first and foremost THEEE BAT & THE FADEAWAYS only because they are coming to the east coast US and they have releases (forthcoming 7" by THE FADEAWAYS) on my label, you heard it here first! Check my profile for dates.

VIVIAN BOYS

ED WOODS

MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN

JET BOYS

STOMPIN' RIFF RAFFS

Some girl bands:

THEEE 50's HIGH TEENS

SPOOKEY

BELLY BUTTON

THE PAPPYS

The MADAME CATS

KANNANA SPEEDCATS

THE FEMININE

THE MERCIES

VILLAINZ

THE PHANTASMS

Other mentionables:

SIX

THAT'S A NO NO

THE CLICKS

SPANDEX

THE LUBIES

THE LET'S GO'S

THE SOAP

For more classic Japanese girl bands, definitely check out Benten Label/Sister Records, run by Audery Kimura who is responsible for Japan Nite which started out as Japan Girls Nite years ago. Some of the classics are:

LOLITA NO.18

PETTY BOOKA

MUMMY THE PEEPSHOW

FLAMINGO A GO GO

Sorry I am too lazy and frustrated with my slow computer to post links. All can be found using google and most have live vids or music vids on Youtube. Feel free to pic one out and post it. I might actually do that later for couple that I want to post individually. But this should be enough to keep you busy for now.

Here for the stir

• October 10, 2011 11:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Zunoukeisatsu - Jyuu Wo Tore

Cock C' Nell

• October 10, 2011 10:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

VIVIAN BOYS

ED WOODS

MINNESOTA VOODOO MEN

JET BOYS

STOMPIN' RIFF RAFFS

Some girl bands:

THEEE 50's HIGH TEENS

SPOOKEY

BELLY BUTTON

THE PAPPYS

The MADAME CATS

KANNANA SPEEDCATS

THE FEMININE

THE MERCIES

VILLAINZ

THE PHANTASMS

Other mentionables:

SIX

THAT'S A NO NO

THE CLICKS

SPANDEX

THE LUBIES

THE LET'S GO'S

THE SOAP

LOLITA NO.18

PETTY BOOKA

MUMMY THE PEEPSHOW

FLAMINGO A GO GO

• October 10, 2011 10:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

King Brothers!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel