Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any advice for young pirates?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 26, 2011 1:52 AM CDT
    • Untitled

After all of you expanded my horizons via my previous post, I now have a wealth of music I would like to obtain for personal use. Of course times being as they are, some of us law abiding citizens have turned to the despicable practice of pirating music. Do any of you folks know of a torrent site geared toward the garage genre? The sites I currently use, have a very limited selection of decent let alone rare music...

Gratias Ago Vos In Provectus,

Julia

• September 26, 2011 8:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds like someone's been drinking Garth Brooks' kool-aid. Look, used records are NOT the same as pirated downloads. Used records/CDs have already been bought and paid for once. This is one thing that idiots like Metallica and Garth Brooks couldn't get through their thick skulls. Buying used records does not take any money away from the artist. Saying that buying them doesn't support the artist is like saying buying a used car doesn't support the automaker. It's just not relevant to the conversation.

I should also point out that any "garagepunk.com room" on Soulseek is in no way connected to or endorsed by this website.

Bald Bill & His One Man Band said:

slsknet.org is great if you have a P.C. There is also a garagepunk.com chat room on there.

I use it for rare, live bootlegs, & out of print stuff.

I can see why people are getting in a twist about downloading as it doesn't support the artist. But nether does buying used lp's & cd's.

Billy

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 26, 2011 6:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

slsknet.org is great if you have a P.C. There is also a garagepunk.com chat room on there.

I use it for rare, live bootlegs, & out of print stuff.

I can see why people are getting in a twist about downloading as it doesn't support the artist. But nether does buying used lp's & cd's.

Billy

• September 26, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

just use spotify/last fm/myspace to listen to the bands for free then buy what you like.

No torrent sites tho!!!

and i agree emusic is great! especially if y skint

• September 26, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Listen the numerous and wonderful podcasts featured on this very site.
    • September 26, 2011 9:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like eMusic a lot. Early on their downloads were pretty low bitrate, like 128 kbps. But lately I've noticed that most if not all of the stuff I've downloaded have been of much higher quality, like 256k or better. And the selection is pretty decent. Even smaller indie labels will distribute their stuff there. Not all, of course, but a lot. The thing I like best about it is that most albums are only $5.99 or so. That's damned cheap. Individual songs range from $.49 to $.79 each. I actually use it a lot to buy digital downloads of stuff that I have on vinyl (or used to have years ago but lost or sold when I was needing cash) just so I can have the MP3s to stick on my iPod. It's too much of a pain in the ass to rip MP3s of vinyl. If you'd like to try it out and want $10 free credit, click here. Cheers!

Mark George Harrison said:

Hear Hear! agree with both, couldnt think of anything worse than having a load of pirate copies and not the real thing. wheres the fun in that. I have a Spotify account and I use that to try out a lot of different stuff, I still go out and buy it afterwards! It would also annoy me if a mate kept asking for copies of albums too, Ive spent years collecting and spent a shitload of money so why should I give a free copy to someone else? and is youre really in to a band then wouldnt you want to own all that you could?I have downloaded things before, years ago as theres too many viruses on these sites today, and still gone out and bought the original. sorry to sound pissy but, as Kopper said, its a touchy subject.

Whats emusic like Kopper? is it worth a look??

• September 26, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hear Hear! agree with both, couldnt think of anything worse than having a load of pirate copies and not the real thing. wheres the fun in that. I have a Spotify account and I use that to try out a lot of different stuff, I still go out and buy it afterwards! It would also annoy me if a mate kept asking for copies of albums too, Ive spent years collecting and spent a shitload of money so why should I give a free copy to someone else? and is youre really in to a band then wouldnt you want to own all that you could?I have downloaded things before, years ago as theres too many viruses on these sites today, and still gone out and bought the original. sorry to sound pissy but, as Kopper said, its a touchy subject.

Whats emusic like Kopper? is it worth a look??

• September 26, 2011 8:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is a very touch subject, Julia. Obviously everyone likes free stuff, but if the bands or labels themselves are not offering their music for free, then you shouldn't try to find free downloads of it. My rule of thumb is as long as something's not out of print, then I'll try to find it and buy it first. I'll either buy a hardcopy of it (vinyl or CD), or I'll try to find it on Amazon.com, eMusic, iTunes, etc. (I have an account on eMusic myself and use it every month... that's my monthly budget for downloads). There are also excellent online stores where you can shop for tons of this stuff. Norton Records, Crypt Records, Dionysus, Sundazed, Bomp/AIP Records, Get Hip, Midheaven, In the Red Records, Goner, etc. all have ways to order their stuff online. Google them. Support them. Order from them. Without these people doing what they do, we'd all be fucked. These are good people with legitimate businesses offering products that all of us want. The least we can do is save up and buy from them as often as we can.

Torrent sites are also monitored very closely today by ISPs, and if you visit one enough or download a lot of stuff from them, you may get busted by either having your Internet service account yanked, or worse (the RIAA has issued huge fines for pirating music in recent years). Just a fair warning.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel