Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: What films/series have you been watching lately?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 27, 2012 10:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW , MONKEES , PHIL SILVERS , ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (THE %$#!! COLOR EPISODES , WAITING TO SEE OPIE'S TEENAGE GARAGE BAND.).

CAR WASH , BEDAZZLED (YOU KNOW , THE GOOD ONE.) , THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE , THE OUTSIDERS (DIRECTOR'S CUT)  ...I'M ON KIND OF AN UNPSYCHOTRONIC TRIP. IT'LL PASS. 

• February 12, 2012 12:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Was Wendy O. really supposed to be a teenager? I know most of the other women were SUPPOSED TO be teens....I took a date to see "C.H.U.D." when it came out. We were both kind of bummed that it was'nt worse than it was ! I like Humanoids From The Deep a lot , tho'.  I'll watch out for "Razorback" ....Ever seen "Pigs"?.

electrocute your cock said:

Reform School Girls (with a 37 year old Wendy O Williams playing a teenager!)

C.H.U.D.

Combat Shock (or American Nightmares for the directors cut)

2019 After the Fall of New York

The Bronx Warriors

Razorback, 'cause how can you go wrong with a film about a giant killer pig

• February 12, 2012 12:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I should have got the bastard on DVD . The second tape BROKE....BUT , THERE'S PLENTY OF CHANCES TO GET IT ON DVD....

John Battles said:

More highbrow stuff....I started watching a two - VCR "Godfather" set. Sure , I should get a nmovie like that on DVD , but it was two dollars ! The first tape has a short documentary , but , the second tape broke. Most cheap tapes I've bought , lately , work OK. EH , SO IT GOES.

• February 10, 2012 10:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just saw "Times Square" for , somehow , the first time , ever....It used to be on cable a lot , but , I always missed it , and video release has been next to nil since it came out in 1979.

I expected a lot more humor , but got more of a sorta Punk Rock "Thelma and Louise", not that that's bad. Two patients at a minimum security mental hospital , one , the Daughter of a wealthy and influential man , the other , a tuff cookie from the streets , who does'nt seem to know where her family is (But , provides ALL the comic relief this movie can muster up.) , escape and quickly form their own group , The Sleaze Sisters (Aided by an all - male backing band , The Blondells). With the help of poetic and intuitive DJ , Tim Curry (Still trying to live down you - know - which role.), the two become an sensation , but , it's plain to see that street urchin , Robin Johnson , is the whole show. Johnson sang her own parts , and , in real life , was slated for bigger things. An appropro duet with David Johansen on the soundtrack notwithstanding , this was about as far as a singing career , or an acting career for she and her co-star , Trini Alvarado , ever got. I could be wrong. The movie , as I say , is a lot more serious than one has a right to expect (Tho' they elevate dropping TV sets from buildings to a higher art form than Keef once did....) , but , it's well made , and the still - teenaged Alvarado and Johnson turn in fine performances , as does the misunderstood Curry (Later accused of exploiting his proteges , though no product is ever released.). The movie is best remembered today for it's soundtrack (Featuring The Ramones , Suzi Quatro , The Ruts, Joe Jackson , Roxy Music , XTC (Whose "Take This Town" does'nt even seem to appear on any of their own releases.), and many others. Some of whom SUCK , but , hey.). Most of the songs (Barring "I Wanna Be Sedated" and Roxy's "The Same Old Scene".) go by so fast , you may not know them , even if you do. Ever see "Night on Earth"? Same as their use of Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" or Davie Allan's "Cycle - Delic". You get a glimpse of what Times Square used to be , though I can't help feeling that , having been there in 1984 , when sleaze was still king , that some scenes were just thrown together sets. The film takes place , almost entirely , in Times Square , but , maybe in true Punk fashion , they did'nt bother getting permits....

• February 10, 2012 2:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Reform School Girls (with a 37 year old Wendy O Williams playing a teenager!)

C.H.U.D.

Combat Shock (or American Nightmares for the directors cut)

2019 After the Fall of New York

The Bronx Warriors

Razorback, 'cause how can you go wrong with a film about a giant killer pig

• February 6, 2012 11:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just watched the original Japanese release of "Frankenstein Conquers The World" (Known in Japan as "Frankensein Vs. Baragon" and sometimes, "Frankenstein Vs. The Giant Devilfish").

It's surely one of the strangest premises for a Frankenstein film , even for a Japanese Horror movie in general , and it's radically different from the better known American release.

With Hitler's defeat , and eventual death , upon him , SS Officers steal the still - beating heart of the original Frankensten monster from an anti - Fascist German Scientist. The heart is transported , by submarine , to Japan . The bombing of Hiroshima soon follows . Amazingly , some children , left orphaned and homeless in the attack , not only live , but prove to possess a strong resistance to radiation. 15 years later , one boy , easily in his 20's , but only moderately affected by age , lives as a wild beast , eating dogs , cats , chickens , hogs , etc. He is captured by sympathetic Japanese and American Scientists , eager to study Frankenstein's heart. It's too late , the wild boy has eaten it (Though this is mentioned nowhere in the script.). He soon becomes more Frankenstein - like in appearance , and grows to staggering heights . Escaping from the enormous cell in which he was chained up , he terrorizes the beautiful mountainside . The photography , I might add , is also beautiful  (If you think Japanese Horror / Sci - Fi flicks had no production values , see this , Atragon , Dagora , Matango , The Mysterians ,  and other , more adult - oriented features....).

In time , the giant Frankenstein monster takes on the appearance of a caveman ,with a flat head , black hair , and angular forehead , reminiscent of the classic Universal Studios prototype. The Army is out to destroy him , but , after fighting , and winning , against the strange , horned , luminescent giant reptile , Baragon , that can burrow his way under the ground , Frankenstein becomes , maybe for the first time , ever , a hero , but , his work is not yet done. A giant octopus appears , at the very end (For no good reason , I might add). Frankenstein succeeds in defeating the octopedian creature (Don't ask me why he appeared on mountainous terrain , but , like Ed Wood deduced , you got an octopus , you might as well use it. The monster - hero is left to go in peace , tiring of the destruction he's caused.

Baragon would turn up , again , in "Destroy All Monsters " and "Gamera vs. Baragon" (Don't know how they pulled that one off , as Gamera was not a Toho Studios property.).

A proposed sequel to this movie became "War of The Gargatus" , with no discernible connection to the Frankenstein legend, nor even the previous film. The King of Cool , Russ Tamblyn , plays one of his last serious roles for a LONG time.

• February 6, 2012 6:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Bought Fists of Steel the other day under the title Hands of Steel, but I'll never call it that. Funny thing is I don't even remember liking it that much when I saw it before, but that was about 25 years ago. 

• February 4, 2012 12:01 PM CST
    • Untitled

I love it how in Critters 3 they try and drag the movie up by claiming that it stars Leonardo DiCaprio.

Mina said:

Downloaded all parts. :-)

• February 4, 2012 11:57 AM CST
    • Untitled

Ruckus in Madoc County (1981) I got this at Teloc for just 2 euros used.

• February 2, 2012 5:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

More highbrow stuff....I started watching a two - VCR "Godfather" set. Sure , I should get a nmovie like that on DVD , but it was two dollars ! The first tape has a short documentary , but , the second tape broke. Most cheap tapes I've bought , lately , work OK. EH , SO IT GOES.

• January 28, 2012 8:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nothing so highbrow , I'm afraid. I just watched "Little Read Riding Hood and Tom Thumb Meet The Monsters" (Loose translation) , which is a children's Fantasy pic from Mexico(1960?). It's pretty warped...in a good way. Little Red Riding Hood , Pulgarcito (Tom Thumb , who becomes full -sized , halfway into it.) and their friends , The (Reformed) Big Bad Wolf , The Red Headed Ogre and Stinky The Skunk have to go to the Land of Evil to fight the Evil Queen (Who looks like the one in "sNOW wHITE", and she's green.) , her sister , Worst Witch , and an army of monsters , because they've turned their friends and family into monkeys and mice , and are kidnapping children who misbehave....

A beautiful witch helps the children and their friends (Yes , she looks like Glinda.), but they have to face the muy peligroso (Very dangerous) forest where the monsters reside , alone ( i Muchas gracias , bruja !)... There's a pinhead , a Frankenstein monster , a vampire with fangs about 4'' long , a set of evil Siamese Twins , a robot ,  that's just what I can remember off the top of my head....Of course , the children and their friend , the skunk , rescue the ogre and "Ferocious Wolf" , who're about to be executed for turning to good, and save their town from the evil spell cast upon it. I don't remember what else happened , but , it's a trip.  Recommended for fans of "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" and "Santa Claus" (Mexico) . In rich , bleeding Eastman Color. It looks fantastic. Higher production values than some Mexican Horror and Fantasy films of the day , too.

• January 14, 2012 12:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm watching "His Kind of Woman" with the stellar cast of Robert Mitchum , Jane Russell , VINCENT PRICE , and Jim Backus. Sin and corruption , South of The Border style....

I watched the legendary "Route 66" episode with Boris Karloff , Peter Lorre and Lon Chaney , Jr. , as themselves. Chaney also performs as The Wolfman , The Mummy , and even Quasimodo , his Father's crowning glory , while Karloff donned the Frankenstein Monster attire , still looking pretty good in it. They were both playing  these roles for the last time. Lorre plays himself , that's good enough . The old school Horror stars are treated with humor , and the respect they'd earned , but were being denied.....

Then , I watched an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" with Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre , in a card game in which the stakes are a beautiful sports car , or.....your fingers. Did you think McQueen was going to refuse such a wager?  Much like an earlier E.C. comic , where two rival Gangsters play "Chop Poker".....

I also found an "I Spy" episode with a considerably aged Karloff as a man with a Don Quixote complex. He's outstanding. Paul Naschy , reportedly in the same episode , does'nt stand out all , unfortunately.

As series go , well , I went thru one disc of "That 70's Show,Series 5" , recently. The connection ? Jack Hill went from directing Karloff and Chaney , Jr.  , to directing Don Stark (Later "Bob" on "That 70's Show".) in "Switchblade Sisters".      Betty White and Tom Post , as Eric's Grandparents , are all over this season....

Betty White was afforded some big honor this week . She'll be 90 in just days , and can kick all our asses.

• October 30, 2011 10:27 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I'm watching this tonight because its Halloween!

• October 30, 2011 10:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , Burton's one of the only Directors that's now in the mainstream , multi - multi million dollar movie ballgame that I've liked consistently. I just got back from a Vincent Price double feature ("The Last Man on Earth" , one of his best , and "The House on Haunted Hill" , not one of the worst , nor one of the best. Price's Daughter , Victoria , was there and gave an informative , heart - touching lecture and slide show.). The movies were preceded by "Vincent", Burton's first (Short) film , about a little boy who wants to be Vincent Price ,with narration by the master , himself....It's a great film. Burton let Price die (On film.) with dignity in "Edward Scissorhands", and he's since gone on to give Christopher Lee's career a major shot in the arm. The Hobbit and Star Wars movies have , too , but , Burton saw his worth , first.

Mina said:
      I love Tim Burton!

Mardy Pune said:

Watched this last night:

• October 29, 2011 9:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like this movie , but, I thought even Ed Wood could have been treated a little less silly. Unfortunately , only a handful of people could be called upon to tell Burton what kind of man Ed Wood was  (Yes , I know. A cross dresser who digs women. It happens.)   Dolores Fuller said she was'nt happy with the way Sarah Jessica Parker portrayed her in the movie. Bela G. Lugosi (Bela , Jr.) was incensed by Martin Landau's outstanding , Oscar - winning performance as his Dad. He said Bela was nothing like that. He would know , but , I really think that if anyone in Wood's inner circle , or their families , had come forward and said they wanted to shed some light on the subject , THEY WOULD HAVE GOT AN AUDIENCE WITH TIM BURTON OR HIS WRITERS. I MET PAUL MARCO (KELTON THE COP) , real nice guy , had good stories . I met Dolores Fuller , too , she was nice enough. People that knew Wood have said he was'nt as over the top as Depp portrayed him. I've liked nearly everything Johnny Depp has done , but , sometimes , he'll take it in a direction I don't care for , like the Michael Jackson-ization of Willy Wonka. I worked on the set of one of his films , though , and I've got to say I have nothing but respect for the man.
    • October 24, 2011 1:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I'd recommend it. I'm not saying it's the best - written picture , nor even one of Romero's personal best , but it captures the mood of the early 70's , when the occult was almost in danger of replacing drugs and swinging in suburbia. 

I'm midway thru "Santo in The Wax Museum". I had a bootleg copy , already , but , this is an official release I picked up in Mexico. It's one of the better 60's Santo movies , in Black and White , very atmospheric. It does'nt have English Subtitles , but , like most of these films , it's not hard to follow. A Mad Doctor makes his base in a wax museum , with statues of Mr. Hyde , Frankenstein's Monster , and real - life monsters like Joseph Stalin. The wax figures don't come to life , but he does turn two men into werewolf - like creatures to do his dirty work.For Santo fans , this movie has some of his best fight scenes , in and out of the ring.

Plus , he has a laboratory with a big TV monitor , so he can talk to the Police Commissioner (Or , whoever) . The reception is as bad as the TV in my kitchen , and it's pretty laughable when compared to the internet.....

Mina said:

Sounds cool, I might check it out!

John Battles said:

I just watched "Season of The Witch" , a lesser known George Romero film from the early 70's. It starts out like a very messed up Avant Garge/Psychedelic Experimental Film ...Fortunately , it begins to develop a semblance of a story , just in the nick of time. What makes the movie interesting is that it could be called an early Feminist Horror Film (Maybe "Dracula's Daughter" was the first ?). It ties in with the Women's Lib movement without ever actually mentioning it.

A suburban woman , verbally and physically abused by her Husband , watches her relationship with her teenage daughter crumble , as the latter becomes involved with an older man , an arrogant , swaggering control freak who pleads sheer ignorance when his younger Girlfriend suddenly disappears. The girl's Mom , coincidentally , becomes fascinated with Witchcraft , after sitting in on an all - female Witches' circle.

The title track (Yes , Donovan's original. They probably spent as much , or more , getting the rights to use the song , then they did actually producing the film.)is used to great effect , as one sees the heroine  becoming all - knowing and all - understanding in the ways of witchcraft. THEN , she has some fun , getting back at her Husband and her Daughter's old man.......

• October 23, 2011 9:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just watched "Season of The Witch" , a lesser known George Romero film from the early 70's. It starts out like a very messed up Avant Garge/Psychedelic Experimental Film ...Fortunately , it begins to develop a semblance of a story , just in the nick of time. What makes the movie interesting is that it could be called an early Feminist Horror Film (Maybe "Dracula's Daughter" was the first ?). It ties in with the Women's Lib movement without ever actually mentioning it.

A suburban woman , verbally and physically abused by her Husband , watches her relationship with her teenage daughter crumble , as the latter becomes involved with an older man , an arrogant , swaggering control freak who pleads sheer ignorance when his younger Girlfriend suddenly disappears. The girl's Mom , coincidentally , becomes fascinated with Witchcraft , after sitting in on an all - female Witches' circle.

The title track (Yes , Donovan's original. They probably spent as much , or more , getting the rights to use the song , then they did actually producing the film.)is used to great effect , as one sees the heroine  becoming all - knowing and all - understanding in the ways of witchcraft. THEN , she has some fun , getting back at her Husband and her Daughter's old man.......

• October 21, 2011 2:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I forgot that there ever was a remake of "Shape of Things To Come". The original was very ambitious , but it kinda plods on and on , y'know , but , they WERE dealing with Wells' vision of a 100 years world war , part of which came true.

I saw "Mephisto" , recently , which is about a German Opera singer who's patronized by Hitler's Prime Minister , and becomes the biggest singing star in 1930's Nazi Germany. He tries to remain politically neutral , and becomes more and more delusional in this attempt.... It's an excellent film , if you feel like watching a "Film" , as opposed to a "Movie" , sometimes.

I'm now watching "The Mouse That Roared" , with Peter Sellers , and Peter Sellers , and ...Peter Sellers (He plays multiple roles , male and female.). It's very funny. It concerns the smallest , most thoroughly unrecognized , nation in the world , which goes bankrupt when  The U.S. stops buying their wine . To rectify this situation , they declare war on America , intending to lose , and recieve foreign aid. Instead , they steal the "Q" Bomb , for which only Russia has a counterpart , and , suddenly , the world is at their feet.  

• October 20, 2011 8:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

TV -Honey West , Phil Silvers Show , Andy Griffith Show , Odd Couple , Sanford and Son , All in The Family , Elvira's new show (Til they %#@!!! TOOK IT OFF THE AIR.) , The Sopranos , Seinfeld , Square Pegs .

Movies - The World's Greatest Sinner (And one of The World's greatest Rock 'n'Roll movies .) , North Dallas Forty ( I had'nt seen it since it came out , and found the DVD for 50 cents. Parts ofit are hilarious.), The Sore Losers (One of the greatest Rock'n'Roll movies of our time.) , War of The Gargantuas (Japanese language version - with subtitles - and the King of Cool , Russ Tamblyn , dubbed in Japanese. Very different from the Americanized version.) , Tickle Me (Lesser known Elvis movie. Very good soundtrack , his only film with an underlying Horror theme (It is'nt the central focus of the film , but you do see Elvis fighting a werewolf hybrid.), and one of his most beautiful leading ladies. , Elvis Meets Nixon (Not nearly as silly as I remember it being. If there was an award for "Best Performance by an Actor as Elvis" , this guy would at least be on the ballot with Kurt Russell. ).......

• October 10, 2011 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 10, 2011 2:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Were you even born when I saw that one??????? I doubt it:))!!!!!.....I fell in luv with Mia Farrow in that movie :)

Mina said:

• October 10, 2011 3:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 9, 2011 9:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Exterminators of the Year 3000. One of those awesome Italian Mad Max rip offs, watched it 20-odd years ago and bought the dvd the other day. Nice.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel