Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Even if you don't like Bruce Springsteen...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 21, 2011 2:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If nothing else, he is a great performer.

Brother Panti-Christ said:
      I saw him play with the E Street Band in 1981. Though I wasn't much of fan of his, this show knocked me on my ass. 5 1/2 hours performance, the band smoked, so did he. Still never bought any records of his since then but he'll always be dear to my heart.
    • September 21, 2011 6:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I saw him play with the E Street Band in 1981. Though I wasn't much of fan of his, this show knocked me on my ass. 5 1/2 hours performance, the band smoked, so did he. Still never bought any records of his since then but he'll always be dear to my heart.
    • September 21, 2011 5:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL!  Well, don't feel too bad.  Like I said, this article is eerily convincing.

Axel Björnsson said:
      I have a confession. I thought he was actually releasing this album.. Than friend of mine point to me that this website was a joke. I have been searching for it for download for several days lol..
    • September 20, 2011 11:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a confession. I thought he was actually releasing this album.. Than friend of mine point to me that this website was a joke. I have been searching for it for download for several days lol..
    • September 20, 2011 7:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, a great parody is a great parody, regardless of the target.  

rockhousesally said:
      hilarious! i'd say it's a bit late for a spiritual awakening bruce-y boy... (and yes, i'm one of those snobs that hate the boss, sorry people. many boyfriend's have attempted the conversion. no can do.) but a very interesting article none-the-less :)
    • September 20, 2011 7:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As much as I like Springsteen, I have to agree with this...I just don't buy into that "working class hero" persona anymore.  He started that trip back in 1978 with the "Darkness" album, and back then I think he was very sincere about it, but now he's just too far removed from that reality to grasp it.  

Besides, most working class people vote Republican nowadays, so he's definitely not reaching that audience with his message.  Most of them shape their opinions based on what they watch on Fox News, or what they hear on Glenn Beck's radio show.

Bald Bill & His One Man Band said:

How will the struggling immigrant workers scraping by in the 23rd-century carbonate mines on Mars afford to go to a stadium & pay $$$ - $$$$ while he pretends he's performing for the working class?
    • September 17, 2011 8:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bald Bill - Not to start a big issue but I'm wondering if, even we agree that he pretends, is it so bad tha the at least brings the plight of various people to the forefront? Just as point of discussion.

As for my opinion I love the concept of Bruce. He is a fantastic songwriter for the most part, I love the track he did with Mike Ness, and I do think he started humbly and can we blame him for superstardom? Especially since he never sought to reclaim or cash in on Born in the USA. Plus the man may charge a ton for his shows but he PLAYS! He runs around and goes for 3 or 4 hours. You get a fair showing for the money unlike most other massive bands. When was the last time you saw him in a tabloid or endorsing a shit product? 

That said, I can only listen to so much Bruce before I really have to switch the record. 

• September 16, 2011 9:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How will the struggling immigrant workers scraping by in the 23rd-century carbonate mines on Mars afford to go to a stadium & pay $$$ - $$$$ while he pretends he's performing for the working class?
    • September 15, 2011 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're quite right.  He was much cooler back when he was more of a cult figure.  I especially liked him when he looked like a scuzzy, two bit hoodlum.

John Carlucci said:

Having grown up in the tri-state area in the 70's, I was aware of Bruce Springstreen before he became a mega star. One thing that most people do not realize is how supportive he was of the original NYC underground Punk movement.  He not only wrote songs for Patti Smith & Robert Gordon, but he wrote "Hungry Heart" originally for the Ramones. He came out of the same club scene, albeit a few years earlier, but Bruce Played at Max's Kansas City, a seminal NY Rock N Roll club that predated CBGB's.

The Black & White cover of the "Born To Run" lp started a trend as most of the original NYC punk bands opted for no-frills Black & White record covers. Bruce also wore a biker jacket on the cover. The biker jacket was adopted as the most common fashion accessory in the original Punk rock Movement. The fact that Bruce wore one before they became trendy & popular, added to his street credibility.

• September 15, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Having grown up in the tri-state area in the 70's, I was aware of Bruce Springstreen before he became a mega star. One thing that most people do not realize is how supportive he was of the original NYC underground Punk movement.  He not only wrote songs for Patti Smith & Robert Gordon, but he wrote "Hungry Heart" originally for the Ramones. He came out of the same club scene, albeit a few years earlier, but Bruce Played at Max's Kansas City, a seminal NY Rock N Roll club that predated CBGB's.

The Black & White cover of the "Born To Run" lp started a trend as most of the original NYC punk bands opted for no-frills Black & White record covers. Bruce also wore a biker jacket on the cover. The biker jacket was adopted as the most common fashion accessory in the original Punk rock Movement. The fact that Bruce wore one before they became trendy & popular, added to his street credibility.

• September 15, 2011 2:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I only said that because there are some people here who really hate Springsteen.  However, I'm hoping they can laugh at this.

Speaking for myself, I love "Born to Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town."

Axel Björnsson said:

Ok it's not cool to dig the boss blabla whatever.. Has nobody listen to his album Nebraska? Its so friggin good. I love the Boss..
    • September 15, 2011 2:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok it's not cool to dig the boss blabla whatever.. Has nobody listen to his album Nebraska? Its so friggin good. I love the Boss..
    • September 15, 2011 11:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That would only make him into a bigger "star."  Get it, Springsteen in space, becoming a bigger star, ha ha ha...

(Stoney silence)

OK, never mind.  Bad pun.  I'll never do it again.  Promise.

Andy O.B.O. said:

Bruce Springsteen in outer space makes a good band concept, too.
    • September 15, 2011 10:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bruce Springsteen in outer space makes a good band concept, too.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel