Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Garage Rock radio stations.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 12, 2011 8:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hello boys and girls! I was wondering if anyone knew about any sweet radio stations coming out of the san fransisco bay area to find some cool new music. Also for everyone else, why not talk about your favorite station in your town?
    • September 30, 2011 7:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey check out Kustom City Sounds Rock and Roll Luau Friday Nights 7 p.m. (central)  on www.baconrock.com.  Awesome variety of Garage, Punk Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Psychedelic, Blues, Old Country, 60's Soul, 50's R & B, Real Classic Rock and new stuff to boot.  just to name a few.  The Show repeats at Midnight Saturday morning (central)  Brotha' Doornail is preachin' the gospel of Rock and Roll Culture, Brotha's and Sista's. 

Chris Henniker said:
      Kopper, have you heard of Resonance FM in London? It's an arts station that does a few good early rock'n'roll, garage and art rock shows. It can get a bit worthy at times, but it can be worth a listen. BBC 6 Music's an option too. I covered the protests against its closure for a video unit at college, which was great fun.

kopper said:

I can't stand your typical "modern rock" stations. Those are everywhere and play the worst possible mainstream rock crap imaginable. "Modern rock" (which used to be called "alternative rock") has come to mean really awful bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Staind, Blink 182... do I have to go on?) There's one in St. Louis called The Point. ("Everything Alternative" my ass... like they would ever play the Dirtbombs or Nobunny!) Those are also commercial stations. It's just another cookie-cutter format like all the rest. On the other hand, 90.3 KUSF is the University of San Francisco's station, a commercial-free, non-profit college station. BIG difference. Most of those stations (college/public radio that you find on the left side of the dial in the U.S.) either have a very loose format (meaning that each DJ is allowed to choose at least part of what they play) or they're set up like WFMU in NYC or KDHX in STL where each DJ hosts a different show (usually two or three hours long) and therefore gets to program his/her show with whatever music they want.

I would think that, with the history of all things "garage" and "primitive" and with the success of satellite radio stations like Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius/XM, that we might start seeing some 24/7 garage/punk/rock'n'roll commercial stations. But I still think that genre is just too much a niche genre to attract a large enough listener base in any one city. Once you create a commercial station you have to start playing by those rules, meaning market share becomes really important for attracting advertisers. I just don't see it ever happening on terrestrial (traditional) radio, meaning AM or FM. That's why we have to stick to streaming Internet radio and podcasts.

Don't forget to also check out the Zines & Radio Shows group here on the Hideout for some good radio shows and podcasts to check out (outside of the GPPN).

Kidango said:

well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 30, 2011 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Kopper, have you heard of Resonance FM in London? It's an arts station that does a few good early rock'n'roll, garage and art rock shows. It can get a bit worthy at times, but it can be worth a listen. BBC 6 Music's an option too. I covered the protests against its closure for a video unit at college, which was great fun.

kopper said:

I can't stand your typical "modern rock" stations. Those are everywhere and play the worst possible mainstream rock crap imaginable. "Modern rock" (which used to be called "alternative rock") has come to mean really awful bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 311, Staind, Blink 182... do I have to go on?) There's one in St. Louis called The Point. ("Everything Alternative" my ass... like they would ever play the Dirtbombs or Nobunny!) Those are also commercial stations. It's just another cookie-cutter format like all the rest. On the other hand, 90.3 KUSF is the University of San Francisco's station, a commercial-free, non-profit college station. BIG difference. Most of those stations (college/public radio that you find on the left side of the dial in the U.S.) either have a very loose format (meaning that each DJ is allowed to choose at least part of what they play) or they're set up like WFMU in NYC or KDHX in STL where each DJ hosts a different show (usually two or three hours long) and therefore gets to program his/her show with whatever music they want.

I would think that, with the history of all things "garage" and "primitive" and with the success of satellite radio stations like Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius/XM, that we might start seeing some 24/7 garage/punk/rock'n'roll commercial stations. But I still think that genre is just too much a niche genre to attract a large enough listener base in any one city. Once you create a commercial station you have to start playing by those rules, meaning market share becomes really important for attracting advertisers. I just don't see it ever happening on terrestrial (traditional) radio, meaning AM or FM. That's why we have to stick to streaming Internet radio and podcasts.

Don't forget to also check out the Zines & Radio Shows group here on the Hideout for some good radio shows and podcasts to check out (outside of the GPPN).

Kidango said:

well of course it doesnt have to be strictly garage rock, but  just some modern rock n roll stations would be cool. But hey ill check out that rock 'n soul station! 
      I know there was a san fransisco station 90.3 ksuf that played stuff like nobunny, the staggers, and th e strange boys, but for some reason i cant find the station on my radio, ah well..

• September 13, 2011 11:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I second that emotion. CHIRP is pretty good. I would also endorse my old station KWVA, Eugene, Oregon. The Doppler Effect is a great garage show, also streaming 24/7. This is a great thread when the indie station here in Boise sucks so hard on the punk/garage front.
    • September 13, 2011 10:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WFMU is always good for underground/garage tunes. They're streaming online 24/7.

Gotta mention CHIRP Radio from my new hometown of Chicago as well. Awesome independent radio.

• September 13, 2011 8:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

you can pick this up on your internetradioreceiver (or smartphone)!

www.yeahright.eu

24/7 Garage Surf Soul!

Yeah Right Radio

We Bang That Beat That Will Move Your Feet!

www.yeahright.eu

• September 13, 2011 8:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kidango said:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 13, 2011 12:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 12, 2011 9:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know of any stations that play nothing but garage rock... no terrestrial broadcast stations, anyway. Lots of stations have specific shows that feature garage and trashy punk/rock'n'roll, though.

My favorite Internet station, though, is WFMU's Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban. I have a wifi radio (which I HIGHLY recommend if you have wireless Internet at your home) and have that station on almost all the time. I can seriously listen to it 24/7. Of course, you can also program it to stream podcast feeds, too, and I have the GaragePunk Podcasts on it, too.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel