Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: You go in the cage, cage goes in the water

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 31, 2011 9:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

shark's in the water, our shark.

How was that very first time you immersed yourself in a GaragePunk podcast ?

I wouldn't mind hearing Kopper's story of that very first night he launched from the man himself.

I sat down this extended Hurricane Irene weekend (office w/o power Monday/Tues so had free time) and listened to the first 30 or so episodes of Savage Kick and it reminded me of the excitement and power of finding this site for the very first time.  My very first GP podcast experience was stumbling into this site and Flying Saucer Rock & Roll #6.  This is back when the most recent podcast was the first thing you saw when coming here.  This and the podcasts on that first page changed everything for me.

Take time some long weekend, pick a podcast, start at the beginning, and see how the creator evolved over time or remind yourself of songs you forgot about.  Pure fun.  And a chance to hear Count Koppula (2007 Halloween for those interested). 

• February 27, 2012 1:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, you're very welcome brother!

Now, that's some good news!! Bring back the WILD WILD SOUND! No matter how!

I have to say though, part of the fun for me, next to the great playlists, was hearing you yap and shout. Maybe just reduce it to the shouting then? ;)

GRINGO: Haha, I wasn't around for the very first SN, but that sound slike some serious fun there, have to check back on #1. Yeah, you loons always know how to throw a podcast party!

Wipeout! said:

Big thanx to IDON MINE fer the praise of my old 'cast & can't agree enuf that those first few years were a golden age fer the GPPR...I still listen to old Hot Slops, Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll, Radioblivion, the GP Surfcasts...just halcyon daze, baby...

But KOPPER has given me an idea--maybe I oughta bring back Wild Wild Sound but just with little-to-no talk-overs...I mean, postin' the playlists should be enuf to play along at home right? ...thoughts?

IDON MINE said:

[...]

Then there was Radioblivion, Savage Kick, Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll, Sonic Nightmares, Get Drunk Play Records, Hangin on for mercy, Wild Wild Sound, Desperate Hour, + so many more... THE CLASSICS. One long trail of EVERYTHING. My fuses got busted! I thought: "WHAT?? There is even more??" Every show great, with lots of discoveries. Couldn't and wouldn't wanna live without it.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Thanks for it all!

Here for the stir

• February 26, 2012 10:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Big thanx to IDON MINE fer the praise of my old 'cast & can't agree enuf that those first few years were a golden age fer the GPPR...I still listen to old Hot Slops, Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll, Radioblivion, the GP Surfcasts...just halcyon daze, baby...

But KOPPER has given me an idea--maybe I oughta bring back Wild Wild Sound but just with little-to-no talk-overs...I mean, postin' the playlists should be enuf to play along at home right? ...thoughts?

IDON MINE said:

[...]

Then there was Radioblivion, Savage Kick, Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll, Sonic Nightmares, Get Drunk Play Records, Hangin on for mercy, Wild Wild Sound, Desperate Hour, + so many more... THE CLASSICS. One long trail of EVERYTHING. My fuses got busted! I thought: "WHAT?? There is even more??" Every show great, with lots of discoveries. Couldn't and wouldn't wanna live without it.

• February 26, 2012 9:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm also a bit embarrassed about the first episodes of Sonic Nightmares. But you have to start somewhere. It was just Beat-Man and I (which sounds like a movie title) and I don't even think I played any background music or used any vocal effects. The early episodes are a bit dry but the music kicks ass. Sonic Nightmares #2 (Chris-Mess special) is particularly weird. Inviting the rest of the gang really boosted the energy level and of course the variety of records we have to choose from really expanded. The first episode with the whole gang is pretty insane (Sonic Nightmares #18 - Sonic Nightmares Anonymous).

• February 24, 2012 4:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't remember the first time i listened to garagepunk podcasts... was the forum first ? don't know... 2007/8 i guess ?

But it was the perfect starter for the day or/and night when i couldn't buy that much records !

I miss Hot Slop !

• February 24, 2012 2:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My first was either MAL THURSDAY'S MAL THURSDAY SHOW or FLORIDA ROCKS AGAIN. It's all mangled up in my mind. I was amazed.

Shortly after that I found HOT SLOP, APOCALYSTICK, RNR SUICIDE. TOO GOOD.

Here for the stir

• September 13, 2011 8:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My first was The Big Enchilada which I came across via a google search for, I believe, Mr. Horsepower and for some reason that came up. I was heading for a two hour car ride, downloaded a few episodes, and upon returning back home downloaded the rest of them. 

Next up was Way Past Cool and You Got Good Taste. Ever since then, these have been my 'go-to' podcasts and sources for great music. Of course I would be remiss in failing to mention Sonic Nightmare. However, it was TBE that made me look at my record collection and say, I have to fucking do this. 

• September 11, 2011 3:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not sure what the first Garagepunk podcast was that I listened to, I got here following a trail of Rock and Roll podcasts from elsewhere and ended up here several years ago, and have been coming back ever since. It may well have been a Flying Saucer show at first, but the hunt for rock and roll changed with an additional interest in the trashy side of punk and garage music, and this seemed to be the ideal place to listen.

• September 10, 2011 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my first podcast was also a Flying Saucer Rock N Roll one not sure which one though from the post dates of the podcast probably one of the ones in the teens or early 20s... life's never been the same since then
    • August 31, 2011 9:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't be embarrassed for early episodes - I had a great weekend starting at the beginning - as Paul Weller once wrote "that's entertainment".
    • August 31, 2011 9:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha, thanks... I think. ;) I'm totally embarrassed when I listen to my early episodes of Primordial Ooze or Savage Kick. I read from a script half the time and tried to make them sound too perfect. Savage Kick #8, I think it was, was especially goofy as I really laid on the hardboiled detective slang pretty thick. I think Noise Annoys was a much better show. More natural and with less yammering on about bands and labels and all that. I wish I had more time to do more of them, but life gets in the way of living some times, ya know? Maybe some day. If and when I bring it back, I'm thinking of limiting the announcement breaks even more, so that it's almost completely DJ-free (except for the occasional interruption to remind you what you're listening to). I might try that out and see how it goes.

As for the beginning, there really isn't much of a story. We just decided to do it (with the encouragement of my friend, Bill Streeter)... and for several months there were flying by the seat of our pants (those were the "GaragePunk Pirate Radio" days, remember?). I recorded my first few episodes at KDHX, where I was still doing The Wayback Machine, since I hadn't yet figured out my home recording setup. That was awkward (recording it in the production studio at KDHX). Subsequent episodes of Savage Kick were recorded at home using Audacity, then, finally, GarageBand.

If you want to hear me in a much more *natural* state, the Wayback episodes are probably better, because they were all recorded live with all the imperfections that naturally come with doing live radio. There are a couple hundred or so episodes on the Wayback Machine site that you can listen to; just click the "Audio" category from the menu on the right. I've been ripping CD-R and tape recordings of some of the episodes and putting them up, and I still have a bunch to do (it's an ongoing project).

By the way, here's the link to the earlier episodes of the podcasts on the old GaragePunk.com blog:

http://www.garagepunk.com/category/podcast/

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel