Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Songs about Boxing, Fighting, and just plain being tough

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 15, 2011 9:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I need some help - This Sept/October's podcast is about boxing. I have a few tracks but am looking for some songs I may not have heard - preferably in the garage punk vein.

Any recommendations? Any type of fisticuffs will do.

I'm not using Dylan's "Hurricane" as it is 4 days long.
      -- Thanks
    • October 5, 2011 3:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right . I read that , too. But , again , when they were both living , it did'nt seem like a veiled reference to an ongoing dispute....When they did  "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" , I really thought Johnny only played on that track , under duress , given that he openly supported Reagan , while the others.....did'nt. It's very possible he did'nt even play on it , or not all the guitar lines..... By that time , they were supplementing his guitar parts with people like Walter Lure and Daniel Rey , but , mainly , because , after all those years , Johnny refused to play Lead Guitar.Nothing political , as such. I read that he did'nt want "Bonzo" released in America , but caved when the others agreed to call it "My BrAIN is Hanging Upside Down".  That , in itself , made The Ramones seem like something of a Democracy. Not so.

Mike said:
      Isn't that also the subject of the "KKK took my baby away"? I was under the impression that Joey wrote that in reference to Johnny.

• October 5, 2011 12:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Isn't that also the subject of the "KKK took my baby away"? I was under the impression that Joey wrote that in reference to Johnny.

• October 4, 2011 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course , The Meteors did a variation on that with "Psycho Cat"  tho' Fenech claimed to hate Teds.

Mark George Harrison said:
      Armitage Shanks 'shirts off' and whilst on the rock n roll vein an 80s Welsh rockabilly band called Crazy Cavan and the rhythm rockers did a song called 'teddy boy boogie' ...............'he put his dirty hands on my long drape coat, so I whipped out my razor and I slit his throat, teddy boy boogie.............'
    • October 4, 2011 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course , then there was also THEE Robert Johnson "Me and The Devil" , Little Richard , Treniers "Taxi Blues" , Ike and Tina "The Argument", Child Molesters - "i wANNA sMASH Your Face"...I don't give sports a lot of thought , except for Lucha Libre , so Boxing songs , as such , don't occur to me....Of course , there's The Animals "I'm Mad Again" , which namedrops Sonny Liston and (Then) Cassius Clay , T. Valentine "Massius Ray" , Don Covay "Rumble in THE jUNGLE " dON coVAY (great OPPORTUNISTIC SHOULDA BEEN A HIT ABOUT THE BIG MATCH IN ZAIRE (was it? ) BETWEEN ALI AND GEORGE FOREMAN (was it?). John

Dead Boy said:
    • October 4, 2011 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pink Fairies ! I read , when they played that first French Punk festival , Le Rue mont Dart , or whatever , sorry , in '76 , they were referred to as "Hippies" , just because Larry Wallis still had long hair. Any early British Punk band worth their salt was influenced by The Pink Fairies , and I'm not talking about the Pink Floyd mkII TENDENCIES ON PART , NOT ALL, OF THEIR FIRST ALBUM....jOhn
      Of course , Wallis played in the first incarnation of Motorhead , but , "The Snake" was Motorhead / Punk '77 before either one existed !
      Mike said:

Umm did I miss it?

Ramones - Beat On The Brat

also

Dogs - 'Slash Your Face'

Loli and the CHones - "Brass Knuckles"

Pink Fairies - 'Spoiling For A Fight'

• October 4, 2011 2:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike , I think you've won the coveted "Beat on The Brat " Golden Baseball Bat Prize. Of course , on an entirely different level , there was the concealed threat of violence in the psuedo Spectorish "She Belongs To Me", which I thought was about Johnny and the guy who smashed his skull in , reportedly over a woman , with a motorcycle helmet. I did'nt know , and , it's a good bet , you did'nt either , any of you good people , unless you worked with The Ramones , that Joey and Johnny hated each other deeply ,and only existed as a business partnership , not as friends , all over , whatshername,  Linda. Joey could'nt let go , long after it was over , and this song spells it out...John.  

Mike said:

Umm did I miss it?

Ramones - Beat On The Brat

also

Dogs - 'Slash Your Face'

Loli and the CHones - "Brass Knuckles"

Pink Fairies - 'Spoiling For A Fight'

• October 4, 2011 1:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BOY , THEY BAN THAT , AND CAN'T EVEN RELEASE "DO THE SCREW" BY THE CRYSTALS....I guess I was'nt thinking "Who Slapped John" , because I have'nt been slapped since Frampton was still coming alive. Most women I was with settled for verbal humiliation (Which is what this Garage Punk shit is about.), instead. Look Cavan up on You Tube. There's recent footage.      John.

• October 4, 2011 1:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He hit me and it felt like a kiss was the Crystals JB

Mark George Harrison said:

As a huge Gene Vincent fan im annoyed that I missed that one, also surprised that Mr. Battles forgot 'who slapped John!'

Whyte Boots is an awesome song, another I should have got.

Cavan Grogan must be about 126 by now!

• October 4, 2011 10:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 4, 2011 8:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As a huge Gene Vincent fan im annoyed that I missed that one, also surprised that Mr. Battles forgot 'who slapped John!'

Whyte Boots is an awesome song, another I should have got.

Cavan Grogan must be about 126 by now!

• October 3, 2011 4:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh , yeah. I  forgot that one. Crazy Cavan , BTW , is still active.

Mott The Hoople "Violence".

Bo Diddley "Sneakers on a Rooster".

Nervebreakers "I Wanna Kill You".

T. Tex Edwards "I'm a - Gonna Kill You" (I have the original 45 , but , now I forget who it was by.).

Troggs "The Yella in Me" (Someone said Skynyrd's "Gimme Three Steps" was the most badass song about being a total wuss, ever. They had'nt heard THIS song.).

Alice Cooper "Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets".

Motors "You Beat The Hell Out of Me'.

Johnny Cash "A Boy Named Sue".

Thee Whyte Boots "Nightmare ".

Slaughter and The Dogs "Where Have All The Boot Boys Gone?".

Emporers "I wANT mY woman".

Ronnie Dawson "Knock Down Drag Out".

Mabel John "Don't Hit Me No More".

Who did "He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)"? I HEARD (UNDERSTANDABLY SO) THAT IT WAS BANNED IN IT'S DAY , BUT , BACK WHEN CHICAGO HAD AN OLDIES STATION THAT DID'NT SUCK , THEY'D PLAY IT , SOMETIMES...).

Holly and The Italians "Tell That Girl To Shut Up".

Stranglers "Sometimes" .

Ramones "Loudmouth".

Gene Vincent "Cruisin'".  Well , there are lots of others....

• October 3, 2011 2:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Armitage Shanks 'shirts off' and whilst on the rock n roll vein an 80s Welsh rockabilly band called Crazy Cavan and the rhythm rockers did a song called 'teddy boy boogie' ...............'he put his dirty hands on my long drape coat, so I whipped out my razor and I slit his throat, teddy boy boogie.............'
    • October 1, 2011 10:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAHAHAHA - DEBATE?! THAT'S LIKE FIGHTIN' , INNIT ? LET'S GO ! RIGHT NOW ! YOU AND ME ! TAKE OFF YOUR JACKET ! C'MON !       Seriously , I had a bunch of others that got deleted.
      If I think of 'em , I'll send 'em along.
      Bibliodiscoteque said:
      This pretty much settles the debate whether I have to do a part II or not. 

John Battles said:

King Vitamin (aka Giant) - "I'm a Hardass" . Potatoes or Norvells - "Magnum Lust".  MC5 - "One of The Guys".

Pat Hare- "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby" . Roky Erickson - "Please Don't Kill My Baby" . Dead Kennedys -  "Macho Insecurity" ,

Johnny Horton - "Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor". Teddy and The Tall Tops - "Gulf Coast Saturday Night" ,. More later ,my other suggestions were deleted.  

• October 1, 2011 5:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This pretty much settles the debate whether I have to do a part II or not. 

John Battles said:

King Vitamin (aka Giant) - "I'm a Hardass" . Potatoes or Norvells - "Magnum Lust".  MC5 - "One of The Guys".

Pat Hare- "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby" . Roky Erickson - "Please Don't Kill My Baby" . Dead Kennedys -  "Macho Insecurity" ,

Johnny Horton - "Honky Tonk Hardwood Floor". Teddy and The Tall Tops - "Gulf Coast Saturday Night" ,. More later ,my other suggestions were deleted.  

• October 1, 2011 12:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andrew is right , tho' they were called "Earl Vince and The Valiants. "on the record. Commercial suicide for the still non -suck Fleetwood Mac , to do a Teddy Boy stomp in the vein of earlier British Rockers like Johnny Kidd and The Pirates and Vince Taylor and the Playboys. My pick for # 1 , THO' I LIKE THE REZILLOS AND COUNT BISHOPS' VERSIONS , TOO.

This poor man really got the boot at a Goblins/Skanalingus show several years ago , for dressing like a Hippie. I'm glad you're up and functioning , again. Yeah, I kicked yer 'ed in once or twice. What of it?

kopper said:

Rezillos version is much better, though. ;)

Andrew Malcolm said:
      And I bet you thought this was a Rezillos song... WRONG, try Fleetwood Mac!!!
    • October 1, 2011 12:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 30, 2011 11:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know "The Boxer " by S AND G IS'NT TOO MACHO , BUT , SOMEONE MUST HAVE DONE A HARD ROCK OR PUNK ROCK VERSION. THERE MUST BE OTHERS....ILL THINK ABOUT IT , OK?

JOHNNY CARSON : i UNDERSTAND YOU STARTED OUT IN BOXING. WHAT MADE YOU SWITCH TO MUSIC?

BO DIDDLEY : UH ,WELL , I FOUND OUT THE GUITAR DON'T THROW LEFT HOOKS ! .

OK -  T. Valentine - Massius Ray.   Some guy's BAZUKA - "BLACK SUPERMAN - MOHAMMMED ALI". (ENGLISH) BEAT - SPAR WID ME . DON COVAY - "RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" . ANIMALS- "I'M MAD AGAIN" (DROPS CASSIUS CLAY AND SONNY LISTON'S NAMES.). PETER ZAREMBA'S LOVE DELEGATION "I'M GONNA KNOCK YOU OUT".(Not really a boxing song , but , it might work.)......

• September 30, 2011 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lol. Thanks - This is a great track!

kopper said:

No!!! No Elton John! If you wanna play "Saturday Night's Alright," play THIS version instead:

I have it on vinyl if you need a rip of it.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Dead Boy - Great song. Perfect for the incidental music.

Kopper - Yeah, if we get into wrestling songs this could be a series in and of itself.

MikeL - I might be able to get away with Elton. Especially since its one of the better EJ songs 

• September 30, 2011 1:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

006 - Like What, Me Worry
    • August 27, 2011 11:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No!!! No Elton John! If you wanna play "Saturday Night's Alright," play THIS version instead:

I have it on vinyl if you need a rip of it.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Dead Boy - Great song. Perfect for the incidental music.

Kopper - Yeah, if we get into wrestling songs this could be a series in and of itself.

MikeL - I might be able to get away with Elton. Especially since its one of the better EJ songs 

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 26, 2011 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of my favorite Stray Cats tunes with violent content!

• August 26, 2011 1:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE BONNEVILLES - Good suits & fightin' boots  http://youtu.be/vyLSnHyueqg  class!
    • August 26, 2011 3:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't know if it fits your bill, but Warren Zevons "Boom Boom Mancini" springs to mind... the lyrics relate to the career of boxer Ray Mancini and specifically a comeback fight against Bobby Chacon in the 80's.

ee.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel