Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Garage Rock Costumes

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 1, 2011 11:51 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I just saw these guys with the best cowboy boots in the world! They are called Los Parranderos.

So what are your favorite garage rock outfits/looks? Name artists etc. 

• October 29, 2011 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not discounting the time Elvis took out a gas station attendant for slapping him , but , he took a lot of shit , and some ass beatings , in his day , for openly admiring Black culture, and dressing the part.

John Battles said:

.....Some performers could'nt differentiate between stage wear and street attire , because they were so deeply into playing a character....Zolar - X , for example , reportedly wore their Star Trek - inspired alien costumes when they went about their day to day business. Alice Cooper , at the height of his notoriety , would go into bars with the black greasepaint on his eyes , maybe wearing a black leather jacket , which still screamed "Beat My Ass!" in some quarters , and he'd proceed to get real drunk and get the shit beat out of him.....I can only imagine what happened in the "Enlightened " Late 60's , when the entire Alice Cooper Group were wearing modified women's tops and mylar trousers on and off stage , before Glam Rock was even a consideration.

Marc Bolan said he went into an executive's bar , wearing a variation on his gender bending stage attire. The older crowd laughed and made derogatory comments , and Bolan stood up and said , "Did you see that Limousine outside , as you came in ? Well , that's mine , and I will have earned over one million pounds this year. If you'd known that , you would have treated me with respect.".

If I could choose one You Tube clip that does'nt exist , and make it a reality , I'd pick the time David Bowie went to see his new labelmate , Elvis , perform in LA , in 1972 , just before debuting "Ziggy Stardust " in The US. Bowie , against warnings from RCA , went in "Ziggy" attire , with his bright orange hair standing straight up , and was sitting close enough for Elvis to take notice of him , and make several derogatory comments ,the audience having a good laugh.. America , and Presley , had forgotten , pretty much , that less than 20 years earlier , Elvis had been jeered , insulted , even clobbered , for looking like the coolest White boy on the planet.

Lord Sutch was known to wear his stage gear in public all the time , a rampant publicity hound , but a performer who wanted to give his all . An older English guy told me he saw Sutch walk into the crowd , balancing himself on the armrests of the people's seats. He fell on a big bruiser boy , who busted his nose . He just ambled back up to the stage , bleeding profusely , and did the rest of his show.

• October 29, 2011 1:34 PM CDT
    • Untitled

GRGPNK panties would be VERY hot! But yeah, let's keep brown shades out ot that equation, hahahaha!

Mina said:
      And also panties and mini skirts! But no in that brownish color :)
    • October 29, 2011 1:26 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Ha, yes! That could be very sexy!

Mina said:
      Hahahaha good one :D They should make GRGPNK high heels for us females!!!

joey fuckup said:
      No garage rock costume is complete without the official GRGPNK Pro Keds high-tops! Got mine on right now!
    • October 29, 2011 1:06 PM CDT
    • Untitled

No garage rock costume is complete without the official GRGPNK Pro Keds high-tops! Got mine on right now!
    • October 28, 2011 9:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Then there is --> Captured! by Robots.

• October 28, 2011 8:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Mighty Morphin' Red Ranger... oops wrong thread.
    • October 28, 2011 2:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....Some performers could'nt differentiate between stage wear and street attire , because they were so deeply into playing a character....Zolar - X , for example , reportedly wore their Star Trek - inspired alien costumes when they went about their day to day business. Alice Cooper , at the height of his notoriety , would go into bars with the black greasepaint on his eyes , maybe wearing a black leather jacket , which still screamed "Beat My Ass!" in some quarters , and he'd proceed to get real drunk and get the shit beat out of him.....I can only imagine what happened in the "Enlightened " Late 60's , when the entire Alice Cooper Group were wearing modified women's tops and mylar trousers on and off stage , before Glam Rock was even a consideration.

Marc Bolan said he went into an executive's bar , wearing a variation on his gender bending stage attire. The older crowd laughed and made derogatory comments , and Bolan stood up and said , "Did you see that Limousine outside , as you came in ? Well , that's mine , and I will have earned over one million pounds this year. If you'd known that , you would have treated me with respect.".

If I could choose one You Tube clip that does'nt exist , and make it a reality , I'd pick the time David Bowie went to see his new labelmate , Elvis , perform in LA , in 1972 , just before debuting "Ziggy Stardust " in The US. Bowie , against warnings from RCA , went in "Ziggy" attire , with his bright orange hair standing straight up , and was sitting close enough for Elvis to take notice of him , and make several derogatory comments ,the audience having a good laugh.. America , and Presley , had forgotten , pretty much , that less than 20 years earlier , Elvis had been jeered , insulted , even clobbered , for looking like the coolest White boy on the planet.

Lord Sutch was known to wear his stage gear in public all the time , a rampant publicity hound , but a performer who wanted to give his all . An older English guy told me he saw Sutch walk into the crowd , balancing himself on the armrests of the people's seats. He fell on a big bruiser boy , who busted his nose . He just ambled back up to the stage , bleeding profusely , and did the rest of his show.

• October 19, 2011 5:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black.

V              H       o  K       B

Mina said:

which band is that? vhokh?
    • October 19, 2011 2:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 19, 2011 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black.

Mina said:
      I can't come up with any female examples...
    • October 19, 2011 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am always looking for a good party or show to wear the Fez to. I like lounge jackets and sequence jackets.  Dressing up is fun and helps one to not take things so seriously.  I love it when bands wear costumes, and I love it even more when the audience participates.
    • August 8, 2011 2:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have seen the interviews with the puppet before! Completely awesome, I'm going to have to start a thread about Garage Rock for kids. I'm a mom and I watch Yo Gabba Gabba with my daughter, as Speedo from RFTC is the music swami. We also are into Ghoul a Go Go..
    • August 8, 2011 1:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, Cherry, here's one more. The lead singer in this band (Jake Austen) is the guy who produces Chic-a-Go-Go, and a great magazine called Rocktober. This is The Goblins, a true Chicago institution. They have been around for a long time, and their theatrical stage shows are second to none. Be thankful that there are guys like Jake in this world, dedicated to all things wacky. Look up the Cramps or The Monks being interviewed by Ratso, a punk-rock rat puppet he uses to interview bands. The album this song comes from, "Goblin Pride," was produced by Gary Burger (guitarist and lead singer of The Monks). But with Jake, I would expect no less. Hats off to him!!!
    • August 8, 2011 12:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cherry, here's a modern take on Kiddie-a-Go-Go, done by a friend of mine in Chicago, called Chic-a-Go-Go. If you have not heard of this show, it is one of the greatest cable access show ever!!! Performing is another costumed band called The Hamburglars, who are (get this) also from Chicago. They are my new favorite band. Things like this are what makes life worth living!!! Again, enjoy.
    • August 8, 2011 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cherry, there were other bands that wore the Colonial outfits, so Paul Revere & the raiders were not very original, and I think that is what hurt their popularity quite a bit. Here is an Awesome clip of The New Colony Six. They hailed from Chicago,and still do shows to this day. The clip is from a TV dance show, also from Chicago, called Kiddie-a Go-Go. What a concept!!! Enjoy.

Cherry Cannoli said:
      I thought someone would have mentioned Paul Revere and the Raiders by now! I remember listening to Little Steven lamenting that their costumes kept them from main steam success, and made them out to be a novelty act. I love it, so hokey, but perfect for the time period.
    • August 7, 2011 6:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought someone would have mentioned Paul Revere and the Raiders by now! I remember listening to Little Steven lamenting that their costumes kept them from main steam success, and made them out to be a novelty act. I love it, so hokey, but perfect for the time period.
    • August 5, 2011 8:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love it all.   Growing up in the punk thing, I would get bored with everyone in black jeans and black band shirt at every show.  Which I realize I'm wearing right now.  Then one day I happened along the Diesel Queens.  And it was fun again.

So, as I see it.  Have fun, because "I like Cheese"

Not that they were all that, but it was a great Rock and Roll night.

• August 5, 2011 4:38 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Amen to that, I like some crazy clothes, but I do wonder with some bands how they can go on for over 30 years wearing the same thing. "The Misfits" have been putting on the horror costumes for about as long as the current pope and the last one combined.

I love the scene around here in Germany but the people seem so happy to put themselves into categories ie goth, punk, rockabilly, hiphop that despite having no school uniform, the kids seem to be more conformative than at my crappy schools in England where we had to wear bloody schoolboy shorts and ties. At least we were forced by teachers to do this crap and didn't buy the uniforms ourselves.

John Carlucci said:

I'm a

ll about having fun, but when the look of a band becomes more important than the music, I lose interest fast. I've said this before, but I got into music as a form of rebellion against my Catholic school upbringing. I'll be damned if I get in a band where I "have" to wear a uniform.

• August 5, 2011 9:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a

ll about having fun, but when the look of a band becomes more important than the music, I lose interest fast. I've said this before, but I got into music as a form of rebellion against my Catholic school upbringing. I'll be damned if I get in a band where I "have" to wear a uniform.

• August 5, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy!  That is the perfect picture for this discussion!! Made me laugh out loud!!

Andy Seven said:
    • August 4, 2011 3:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like novelty acts just as long as they think of themselves as novelty acts.  Sometimes bands like that take themselves way too seriously and end up coming off as a joke, even though that's not their intention at all.  Quite honestly, I think that's kind of sad.

BTW, years ago we used to have a great novelty band here in Pittsburgh called the Legion of Incredibly Strange Super Heroes.  They played a mix of garage and surf, and they each assumed super hero identities on stage.  The leader was Capt. Not UL Approved (guitar and vocals), who draped himself with Christmas lights and wielded the untamed power of electricity; Dr. Outer Spaticus (guitar), who was a scientist with a time machine; the Emerald Enema (Organ and vocals, and I'll leave it up to your imagination what his power was); the Flam (drums), the seventh mightiest man in the world; Miss Turre (Get the pun?  Bass and vocals), who's powers were so mysterious, even she did not know what they were.  The whole thing was total kitsch, and I really liked it.  They broke up years ago, and I miss those guys.

kopper said:

Two words: NOVELTY ACT

MikeL said:

A sense of style, or wearing costumes to be more theatrical, can be cool, but it should be about the music first.  Bands often use those things to compensate for not having really good songs.  I still like KISS, and I love that picture of that female tribute band (SLUTTER is a very clever name), but lets face it, they were  a musically mediocre band that hit it big mostly because of their image and stage show.  I feel the same way about 80s hair metal.

• August 4, 2011 12:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, one can always adjust ;)

Pat said:

Well, Guitar wolf don't wear leather pants outside the stage...

IDON MINE said:

Yeah, that's the way to go!

I guess Lux would wear out his high heels on a regular basis. That must have blown the top of the back country and big city squares!

+ Guitar Wolf were asked at some point if they wanted to act in more movies after WILD ZERO & the SORE LOSERS and they said only if they could remain uncostumed and themselves, as they did in Wild Zero. Laser eyes and all... (ie. their stage and life look, which for classic Japanese wear, IS out of place).

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

I can't even imagine them with days jobs !

I remember having read someday (can't remember where) an interview of Kid Congo Powers in which he was telling stories about being in The Cramps back in the days and how people did stare at them when they were dining somewhere in the middle of the USA because they were THE CRAMPS and they looked like THE CRAMPS !  

kopper said:

I'd like to see what they wore to their day jobs (wait, did they even *have* day jobs?). Or to the grocery store. Somehow I bet Poison Ivy didn't cruise the cat food aisle wearing her tiger cat outfit (although I wouldn't have complained if she did). ;)

Still a little bit more outrageously than the average bank clerk ! ;)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that they were as cool on stage as they were cool on the street.

Mina said:

Poison Ivy and Lux Interior didn't really dress up outrageously imo.

Andrew Malcolm said : "Cool on stage, and cool on the street, are two completely different things."

Well, that should not !

As Idon Mine said : "if you are a weirdo, stage dress up and life dress up aren't that easily torn apart."

Do you remember THE CRAMPS ?

Here for the stir

• August 4, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Two words: NOVELTY ACT

MikeL said:

A sense of style, or wearing costumes to be more theatrical, can be cool, but it should be about the music first.  Bands often use those things to compensate for not having really good songs.  I still like KISS, and I love that picture of that female tribute band (SLUTTER is a very clever name), but lets face it, they were  a musically mediocre band that hit it big mostly because of their image and stage show.  I feel the same way about 80s hair metal.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel