Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Radio tips and tricks - how do you do it?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 24, 2011 6:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here are my tips for doing a boss community radio show.  I've been doing one for 15 years.

Be on time-get to the station at least 15 min before "star time".  This lets the DJ before you relax and lets you get your shit together.

At least know what your first tune is going to be-this sets the tone for your show-everything might go crazy from there,but that first track should be killer!

The entire point of your whole show should be to make it impossible for listeners to change the station!  That is why "dead air" is to be avoided;  people will move the dial to make sure the radio is still working, and they might find something they like more on a nearby station!  Tell people whats coming up, both on your show and the next show so they will stick around!  Stick to your genre, but put in some surprises to hook people in.  

Change things up, some slow songs, some fast songs, some instros, some female vocals, etc.  Don't let your listeners get bored! 

Don't play the same records every week-it'll kill you.

Ahhh-I got a million of 'em-what are yours?

• October 13, 2011 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Preparation is definitely the key to a smooth running show! I plan out my playlist plus about 5 extra tracks (just in case) and take a few notes on each band, song, or album. I also take a few notes if the band is out on tour or has a new album coming out. To help increase listeners, I post my upcoming show on a few other social networking sites and tag the bands I'm playing. If they know they're gettin air-time, they'll promote it to their fans!
    • August 2, 2011 8:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I choose my tracks for the show, then take note on the posts; which songs have the longest instrumental intros.  I plan my airbreaks around those so that I can create a smooth transition into the music. What helps more, though, it taking note of the outros to songs, whether they are cold or fades, or natural endings.  You can cue up the beginning of a track pretty easy, but the end is more difficult.

Listener interaction is key to building a memorable show and creating P-1's. There are no "stupid requests," but you can always guide listeners to something else that may be more appropriate.  Answering the phone line/responding to emails should be taken more like customer service than an arrogant dude on a podium. As a DJ, it's pretty easy to be the latter.

I always try to frontsell, vs backselling.  This way, people who tune in mid-way can still carry on and it keeps people listening through stop-sets. The recording/podcast/playlist posting is for the people who want to check out what has already happened. In the same light, I only talk about gigs that are coming up, and not past ones.  People can't attend a show that has already happened, but your 30-45 second airbreak could bring in a few more ticket sales to next week's gig.

In a music related show, your airbreaks should not deter from your subject. Short and sweet. And don't try to overshadow the the music. Play music you are stoked to play, listeners can hear it!

Also, when having a co-host, continue to talk "TO THE LISTENER" and not "to your cohost." Radio is live, and radio is interactive, keep the audience involved.

• August 1, 2011 10:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good points. I'd even go further and recommend you draw up an outline of what you're going to play. Bring along a list of songs. I used to plan my shows out in advance—every week—for years. That way you can also plan ahead on what you're going to say about the bands or songs during your breaks. Have some info prepared, like band histories, etc. Do some research on a particular artist and tell a story about them. Not too long, though, but keep it interesting. A lot of people (myself included) don't like to hear a lot of talk on a music show. But short, interesting stories about bands or songs can be fun to both tell and hear over the air.

Another thing I would say is to try and sound like you're into it. I hear SO MANY community radio jocks who sound like they'd rather be anywhere else than where they are. They sound bored, they mumble, they throw in too many "uhs" and "ums," and they're just completely boring to listen to. Get excited, and SOUND excited. Relay the information as if you're telling your best friend about a band you just heard for the first time. Get a co-host if it helps (it usually does), but if you do, don't get sidetracked and start talking about stuff only the two of you understand (like inside jokes, etc.). That's a great way to lose listeners, too.

Always know what bands are coming to town, and don't be afraid to announce and talk about festivals coming up, too. INFORM your listeners. Most of them won't know any of this stuff and will benefit greatly from getting the information from you, and will keep them coming back for more.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel