Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Books On Garage Rock

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 23, 2011 5:23 AM CDT
    • Untitled

What are your favorites? 

I just ordered this:

• July 25, 2011 7:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

i actually picked up a copy of lovers, buggers and thieves from my library!!  a great and twisted read.... now meandering my way thru Guitar Army - John Sinclair... not so much garage as late 60s politix but interesting ride all the same
    • July 25, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I shall be buying this on payday, thanks!

John Carlucci said:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7267275

Knights Of Fuzz by Timothy Gassen. I think the book is out of print, but there is a DVD documentary available which has a digital version of the book included.

• July 23, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
    • Untitled

If you like the Fleshtones, Joe Bonomo wrote an eye-opening history on the band called "Sweat: the Story Of the Fleshtones, America's Garage Band". It's amazing what this band has been through, and yet still keep on going. Even if you have just a casual interest in their music, you would come away from this a dedicated fan. There's a complete discography not just of the band, but the side projects as well. Hell, there's even a list of all the cover songs they've ever done at their live shows. Plus, when you buy the book, their label, Yep Roc gives you an online code to get an unreleased track, free tracks from their albums "Beachhead" and "Do You Swing", and a 10 song sampler from the label itself.
    • July 23, 2011 3:09 PM CDT
    • Untitled

If you want a good read on garage rock 'n' roll from the late '80's to say 2001, Eric Davidson of the New Bomb Turks wrote an excellent book called "We Never Learn: the Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001". It covers the scene all right, detailing the histories and insights on bands like the Dwarves, Gories, Supersuckers, Devil Dogs, Cynics, Mummies, Rocket From the Crypt, Hives, Nashville Pussy, etc., plus labels and fanzines that were a part of it all. It even comes with an online code to get a free downloadable comp of 20 choice cuts!
    • July 23, 2011 1:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

never seen that one, shall scour Amazon now. Fuzz acid and flowers is a must.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel