Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Jon Spencer Blues Explosion covered "Black Betty" for Volkswagen

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 22, 2011 7:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

..shit never ends.
    • July 29, 2011 1:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A great band covering a great song!
    • July 29, 2011 9:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bwhahahahaha, I'm so zoned out when I watch TV, I didn't even get it was the EXPLOSION, hehe.

+++ "Have love..." was featured in a phone commercial here in Spring - everytime they sell lame product, they take rad music for it to get to you.

I love hearing those songs with commercials, it makes TV great for a change.

Here for the stir

• July 28, 2011 7:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Spencer in Brasil. Grrreat!

• July 27, 2011 4:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok, I agree with what Kopper said, but I'm not biased on selling out music for commercial, I'm not generalizing. Simply I think this song is a crap as most as the last things he did. Black Angels recently did the same, but they still making good albums (IMHO). Everybody remember White Stripes Coke commercial, and noone can say that White, or Spencer are crap just for that, ignoring all the rest. I took the Blues Explosion for example, because it's a band that I really loved in the past, and not everyone knows that in Italy he collaborates with a shitty italian melodic singer called Eros Ramazzotti (one of the best italian sellers) in something beyond the imagination. In my sorrows I ask WHY?  ..and answer: ..shit never ends.

And BTW seeing a huge audience of TV zombies singing po popopopo popo (Seven Nation Army) didn't raised the cultural level around me.

Eros Ramazzotti featuring Jon Spencer:

kopper said:

I think it's kinda funny (ironic?) how some people I know really *cringe* or yell "sellout" when they hear a great song being used on a TV or radio commercial. It's almost as if they'd rather hear crappy music on them instead. I have no problem with it, for the most part because it means the artist is actually getting PAID for once (hurray for them!) and it means I get to hear a great tune on a commercial once in a while instead of some hip hop or Phil Collins bullshit. It also means that their music is being heard by a HUGE audience... and primarily an audience of TV zombies whose only other exposure to music of ANY kind is the crap they hear on commercial radio, in movies, or somehow convince themselves is good like the crap you hear on stupid shows like American Idol. But whether or not you like it or not is beside the point entirely, because it's up to the individual artist to determine what happens with their music. If they want to sell the rights to a marketing agency so it's used to sell shampoo or cars, then that's their right, and you HAVE to respect their right to do what they want with their music. Because it belongs to THEM, not to you. Just because you "heard it first" or love it so much that it changes your life doesn't mean you own it. Plus, you never really know how you would respond to an offer like that if the shoe was on the other foot.

End of rant. ;)

• July 26, 2011 9:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it's kinda funny (ironic?) how some people I know really *cringe* or yell "sellout" when they hear a great song being used on a TV or radio commercial. It's almost as if they'd rather hear crappy music on them instead. I have no problem with it, for the most part because it means the artist is actually getting PAID for once (hurray for them!) and it means I get to hear a great tune on a commercial once in a while instead of some hip hop or Phil Collins bullshit. It also means that their music is being heard by a HUGE audience... and primarily an audience of TV zombies whose only other exposure to music of ANY kind is the crap they hear on commercial radio, in movies, or somehow convince themselves is good like the crap you hear on stupid shows like American Idol. But whether or not you like it or not is beside the point entirely, because it's up to the individual artist to determine what happens with their music. If they want to sell the rights to a marketing agency so it's used to sell shampoo or cars, then that's their right, and you HAVE to respect their right to do what they want with their music. Because it belongs to THEM, not to you. Just because you "heard it first" or love it so much that it changes your life doesn't mean you own it. Plus, you never really know how you would respond to an offer like that if the shoe was on the other foot.

End of rant. ;)

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 23, 2011 4:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...tv sucks ass, but I stopped thinkin' 'bout such things since 'Have Love Will Travel' was used for a Sprite commercial...well, even better than most of the songs (ab-)used for commercials out there...still dig the Blues Explosion a lot. My god, 'Here Comes the Summer', hehe...
    • July 22, 2011 7:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By the way this version kicks ass as usual..

And a 7" split double version with Melvins has been released too.

• July 22, 2011 7:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Where I wanted to stay.. ;) Sorry, don't watch much TV

kopper said:

Good for him!

By the way, this happened six months ago. Where ya been? ;)

• July 22, 2011 7:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good for him!

By the way, this happened six months ago. Where ya been? ;)

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel