Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Cloud Music

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 11, 2011 10:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone here using the Amazon and/or Google music cloud services?

I wrote a column about it a couple of weeks ago for my local paper http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/2011/06/terrells-tuneup-hey-you-get-onto-my.html

Since that was published, Amazon has upped the ante by giving UNLIMITED storage for those who on the $20 per year for 20 GB. That applied to those of us who got on the 20 GB plan for buying one $5 MP3 album from them. 

The good thing about the Amazon Cloud is that you can download your music if you need to. So basically you can store all your music for $20 a year.

Trouble is, the Amazon uploaded kind of sucks. It crashes when I try to upload my entire collection at once. So I have had to do it little bits at a time. (and the uploads are really slow.) So far I have more than 14,000 songs uploaded -- and still got a long way to go.

So what do you guys thing about this cloud stuff? 

• July 12, 2011 2:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have been wondering about these new services, too. It sounds like a great deal, but at the same time, I'm trying to save money and not have any more "bills" or "subscriptions" if I can help it. So, instead of paying a monthly fee, I keep using my external hard drives and the good old DVDs or CDr backup hard copies.
      I know of a few other local people that own servers and charge a monthly or yearly fee for use. I know that is a great way to store or share whatever you want, and it is probably less than how much you'd pay for these other services.
      Does anyone else have suggestions as to great ways to store/organize their cumbersome music libraries?
    • July 11, 2011 5:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I trust 'em ... but I keep my external hard drives too.
    • July 11, 2011 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess it depends on how much you trust Amazon or Google with your stuff. I created my own music archive/backup directory through my Web hosting service (DreamHost). Since I'm already paying them like $7/month for hosting GaragePunk.com and a few other domains, I figured this was the best way for me to do it, and I just access the directory via FTP (which never crashes, haha). I've done the same thing with all of our family photos, creating a separate directory for Photo Archives. It's always backed up, and with unlimited storage space, I'll never run out of room. Problem solved.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel