Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Amp Builders?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 30, 2011 2:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone of you is building his own amp(s)? I'm working on my 2nd one so experience is still limited and questions pop up here and there. I know there are tons of amp-forums around to join but I thought I see if there are any builders among the Garage community. So anyone?

My current build is going to be a head with a simple pre-amp with added bright-switch and mid-boost, 50w pp, 2 kt88s(as I'm a sucker for clean sound - don't need or want amp distortion) and an impedance selector. My first was a Marshall kit, just to see if I like soldering. It turned out okay but I just can't bear that Marshall sound...

Axel

• July 6, 2011 9:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, I wish I had any skill or talent with electronics. I'd like to try to build a nice little Supro Thunderbolt clone, but I might end up electrocuting myself to death if I do, haha.

• July 1, 2011 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks KK for the link. I will check it out.

John, good to know I can ask when necessary. I already post now and then my questions on the AX84 forum. My new build is taken from that site, the simple pre-amp and the 50w pp from the 'Building Blocks' section. Most question I have so far are about the differences in the schematics/layout and what I read in books.  And I plan on doing some mods to the AX84 circuits so there will be questions about that, too.

• July 1, 2011 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Do you have any details  on this booklet? I would like to check it out.

The Fnords said:

There's a wee Mullard booklet which has valve amp circuits. I started one; haven't finished yet as it needs a chassis building and I haven't got round to that yet. I've done some modifying, but mostly to the boxes containing everything!

D.

• July 1, 2011 8:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You've got a fellow amp builder here. Looks like there are others too.

If/when you have questions, just ask. I've found that one of the best resources is the AX84 forum. There are some very experienced/knowledgeable folks there that are happy to help and share their knowledge. It's a very good group, everyone is welcome and treated with respect.

If you check out my profile you can see some of my efforts.

John

• June 30, 2011 1:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a wee Mullard booklet which has valve amp circuits. I started one; haven't finished yet as it needs a chassis building and I haven't got round to that yet. I've done some modifying, but mostly to the boxes containing everything!

D.

• June 30, 2011 11:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool. I am a total gear-head. I build primitive instruments out of cigar boxes such as guitars, amps, lap-steels, kalimbas, etc. and I modify electric guitars. I have several custom-made amps and guitars, so I have interest but no huge experience. I do, though, build small amplifiers out of cigar box guitars and cigarette boxes (they are only a few watts, run on batteries, and the speakers don't get much larger than 2.5 or 5 inches. 

So, regardless, I'd like to follow this thread. 

I know of amp builders that you could probably contact if you have further needs.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel