Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Ty Segall new album

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 24, 2011 8:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here in Europe people are talking about Ty Segall like he's the new Jay Reatard. I think he's an interesting guy, some Sic Alps stuff is really cool, Epsilons (Ty with Charlie Moonheart) is very nice, his solo-output has some highlights. I LOVE the split lp he did with Black Time, and his T-Rex album on Goner is just amazing. This week I listened to his new album "Goodbye Bread", out on Drag City. I think it's THEE disappointment of 2011. What a waste of vinyl this is. It's just boring and nagging. What do you think?
    • July 11, 2011 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Sounds good to me.
    • July 11, 2011 10:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's a total grower I think, took me a few listens. Sure not as rocking as his other releases but awesome in it's own right. The production is spot on, especially guitar sound on the solos. I also don't see the compassion between Ty & Jay, other than the pretty broad "Garage" label  both brilliant but coming from a totally different place in my opinion.
    • July 11, 2011 5:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Got his album but haven't had too much time to listen to it just yet. Got to see him play in Melbourne, Australia last night..was fucking amazing. Best show I've seen in ages...consisted of a few covers, old/new stuff & one really strange drunk heckler.
    • July 11, 2011 5:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I live in Europe but I must say that actualy I never liked so much Jay Reatards. Yes he was also a prolific one-man guy, but totally different in many respects...
    • July 10, 2011 11:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yep, i will stick to the "Melted" and "Lemon" albums, awesome. I fond "Goodbye Bread" less intense but good.
    • July 10, 2011 12:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boring and nagging? Dude, look in the mirror and rethink your style. Ty Segall is an awesome musician. Is there a contest going on that I don't know about to make each album better than the last? Does artisitc freedom mean anything to "rock critics"? I've heard most of the songs on "Goodbye Bread" and I like it a lot. Now, here's your sign Robdaswamp and here's half a peace sign with a smile.
    • July 9, 2011 11:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, he lists, among his favorites, sublime, alkaline trio and squirrel nut zippers, so there ya go.

Robdaswamp said:
      so, what's your hangout? 

Pierrot Nancy said:
      i hate anything he has done and will ever do. unbearably annoying.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 9, 2011 4:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

so, what's your hangout? 

Pierrot Nancy said:
    • July 9, 2011 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 9, 2011 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://garagepunk.ning.com/forum/topics/hideout-comp-series

Fun Guns said:
      Thanks!  We'd be honored.  How does one go about submitting a song for the hideout comp series?  Also, which song did you like most?

kopper said:
      Not bad! You guys should get busy and submit a song for the Hideout comp series.

Fun Guns said:

I think you might like our stuff.  It's more like the energetic stuff that Ty's known for.  I actually liked Goodbye Bread but it was definitely a change of pace.

Fun Guns

Phun Guns

• July 9, 2011 1:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've had the album for a week now and this thread has pushed me to finally crack it open and give it a listen. My first thoughts are that while I don't think it's bad, I doubt I'll listen to it much. My Head Explodes is the highlight for me right now...

Update: Actually this shit is pretty good. It's all just slow in regards to tempo. It has a place in my record collection. It fits a certain mood for sure.

• July 9, 2011 7:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fun Guns.. I love it. Thanks for the download! Now come play in Cleveland. :)
    • July 9, 2011 12:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks!  We'd be honored.  How does one go about submitting a song for the hideout comp series?  Also, which song did you like most?

kopper said:
      Not bad! You guys should get busy and submit a song for the Hideout comp series.

Fun Guns said:

I think you might like our stuff.  It's more like the energetic stuff that Ty's known for.  I actually liked Goodbye Bread but it was definitely a change of pace.

Fun Guns

Phun Guns

• July 9, 2011 12:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fun Guns said:

Fun Guns

Phun Guns

• July 8, 2011 10:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fun Guns

Phun Guns

• July 8, 2011 8:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My favorite Ty project outside of his solo stuff is the Traditional Fools. I love his body of work though and think he's a genius. In some ways I do see parallels to Jay.

As to this record it does stray a tad from his "expected" sound ... leaning slightly away from the garagey thing and a bit towards a more indie sound.. but isn't a negative in this case. He's showing range.  

His evolution has been exciting to follow. I have no doubt he will continue to evolve and give us more.

(On a side note: I do his hair!) 

• June 27, 2011 4:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it seems some peeps here are trying to convince me that Ty is evolving, up to the next level. I think it's a good thing artists are stepping up, but in this case, for me, it's a step down. Jay Reatard was moving away from the garage-scene with his Matador-releases, Black Lips same thing on Vice. Going more "commercial" isn't a bad thing, for the band/artist and a lot of fans go with it. But Ty isn't stepping up, he's lazy, with a nagging sound, boring songs. I still love listening to the new Black Lips, or the Matador releases by Jay. On the other hand, one bad album doesn't make him a bad dude. Let's see what he comes up with next.
    • June 27, 2011 2:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Fuck me, forget Ty Segall for a second, did you read that "do we need rock n roll" debate mentioned in that review?

" If we’re going to strip rock n’ roll back to its first principles and concentrate on it in its purest form, then we reached the zenith in the 1990s with Weezer’s first record and Lemonhead’s It’s A Shame About Ray; two records which can’t be improved upon." Christ.

Jon said:

i feel that this review of the album says everything we are thinking about the new Ty Segall.

Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread

• June 27, 2011 1:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i feel that this review of the album says everything we are thinking about the new Ty Segall.

Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread

• June 26, 2011 7:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'll defend this album.  He's growing up a little bit, and he's showing that there's more to his talents than fuzzed out, high speed punk thrashers.  This is a definitely a much more mellow album, and if you've read any interviews he's given about it, he purposely made it less intense than his previous releases.  Goodbye Bread is heavily influenced by T. Rex, Neil Young, and the Endless Summer soundtrack.  It's link punk and glam filtered through California sun and surf.  He fucking nailed this, and holy sweet jesus, it's fantastic.

Check out this interview to see where he's coming from on this record: http://www.pitchfork.com/news/42442-ty-segall-talks-serious-new-album/

• June 24, 2011 6:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i dont think Goodby Bread sucks, its just a bit lazier than his previous releases.

i think you can tell too he wrote alot of the songs acoustically so its a lot more laid back. his t-rex cover on this album and the actual Goner release blew me away, loved it.

plus, this wont be the last thing we hear from him either, hopefully he comes back with that reckless fuzzy energy.

• June 24, 2011 6:12 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I stopped bothering to pay attention to him after the truly awful Roy Orbison cover he did. I love Roy Orbison and what he did was a fucking disgrace! It just sounded lazy and a bit like an after thought.
    • June 24, 2011 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, I'm glad I've avoided "Goodbye Bread." I'm with you, I really liked his stuff w/ the Epsilons and early solo releases. Thanks for the warning. ;)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel