Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Comic Book Films: Love 'em Or Hate 'em?

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • January 5, 2012 4:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think you'd have to have somebody like Dan Clowes involved , to get "The Spirit" right....And as much as I love the TV show , I could not be driven to see the "Green Hornet" movie. Gimme the 40's serial with the cop from The Abbott and Costello Show playing Britt Reid.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Being on a budget during the 80s, I didn't buy Watchmen comics so I didn't see that movie.  I also skipped out on the Spirit as it looked too much like Frank Miller wanted it to be the same visual style he had for Sin City.  I preferred Will Eisner's comic.  There was a very corny 90's TV movie for the Spirit and watched that.  Kind of fun but still not as funny as Will Eisner's comic.
    • December 20, 2011 11:36 AM CST
    • Untitled

"Ghost World" was a great movie! I've never read the comics, though, but I know what you're saying about Terry Zwigoff. "Crumb" was an excellent doc, but I wasn't that much into "American Splendor". The portrayal of Harvey Pekar was award-winning stuff, though.

I never had a real attachment for the "X-Men" films, although I really did like the first one. I think the reason I wasn't so hip on them was simply the fact that I wasn't a fan of the comics. I really enjoyed the "Wolverine" flick, and from what I understand, there's another one in the works.

Ron Perlman was an excellent choice for "Hellboy", and I highly recommend you watching the sequel. It does delve more into being a fantasy film, but at least you don't feel like you're watching a re-hash of the first one. I've heard rumors that a third outing is also in the works.

I haven't seen "V For Vendetta" or "The Watchmen". I don't know, I just never seemed to be interested in seeing "Vendetta", but I do have "The Watchmen" on my "need to see" list. I tried to watch "The Spirit", but I was just too disappointed in it. The acting was just too silly and over the top. I expected better from Frank Miller! Sad too, I was always a fan of the comics...

dave said:

I generally flinch when I hear that a comic is being made into a movie, but sometimes they do hit the nail on the head. Ghost World is 1 of my all-time movie loves (and the guy is 3-fer-3 w/ comix: Crumb, Ghost World, and American Splendor), and I actually think that it's better than the comic, not sure if there has been another movie I can say that about.

Also, the initial 3 X-Men films are solid (lotta political metaphors there, too). And Ron Perlman as Hellboy is perfect, even if Mignola didn't care for it (I didn't catch the sequel, yet). Coulda used a bit less CGI, but that's a pet peeve. Alan Moore has disavowed all of Hollywood's adaptations of his works, but I hafta say that V For Vendetta, while not as good as the comic, came pretty close. The Watchmen I haven't seen, mainly because of the ending (no giant skwid, oops), but many people seem pretty happy w/ it.

All I can think of right now.

• December 19, 2011 2:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I generally flinch when I hear that a comic is being made into a movie, but sometimes they do hit the nail on the head. Ghost World is 1 of my all-time movie loves (and the guy is 3-fer-3 w/ comix: Crumb, Ghost World, and American Splendor), and I actually think that it's better than the comic, not sure if there has been another movie I can say that about.

Also, the initial 3 X-Men films are solid (lotta political metaphors there, too). And Ron Perlman as Hellboy is perfect, even if Mignola didn't care for it (I didn't catch the sequel, yet). Coulda used a bit less CGI, but that's a pet peeve. Alan Moore has disavowed all of Hollywood's adaptations of his works, but I hafta say that V For Vendetta, while not as good as the comic, came pretty close. The Watchmen I haven't seen, mainly because of the ending (no giant skwid, oops), but many people seem pretty happy w/ it.

All I can think of right now.

• December 15, 2011 4:48 PM CST
    • Untitled

Yes, Topher Grace was a good Eddie/Venom, but having that character involved in #3 was just too much. Again, too many plots going on at the same time, and I still think that the third was just wrong wrong wrong...I think, yes, Harry Osborne should have taken revenge on Peter, but there should not have been a place made for Gwen Stacy and her father, nor the Sandman. Venom is too complex of a storyline to have tried to insert as a side plot. He should have just been saved for a #4, which Sam Raimi and Toby McGuire would have done if it hadn't been for the meddling of Columbia Pictures (I think). Fans of the franchise were robbed of having Curt Connors as the Lizard, didn't happen, so why in the fuck even introduce him at all? He should have been the main villain in #3, and due to the fact that he could really work Spiderman over in the comics, could explain Peter convincing Harry to help him combat a formidable foe.

I will be one of the first to admit that when I heard that N Cage was going to be the Ghost Rider, I thought "No fucking way". But I guess they didn't want somebody to actually look like Johnny Blaze from the comics, who after all, kinda resembled Will Katt (ha ha). But he desperately wanted to be in a superhero film, and after having the Superman deal go sour (Kevin Smith and Tim Burton were collaborating on that), he proved he should be Ghost Rider because he had a tatoo of him. So the story goes. Peter Fonda was a cool touch as Mephisto, but I was always used to that character being a full blown, fearsome demon. It was also a neat touch to have the '40's Ghost Rider be a part of the plot as well. The sequel looks pretty wild from what I've seen. You can check out a trailer for it on You Tube.

John Battles said:

Retraction : I recently saw the two Spiderman movies . Not in their entirety , but , enough to geta feet for 'em , and I have to admit , I did'nt think they were bad at all. Actually some pretty good performances. Zooey Glockenshpeil  , or whoever , was'nt a bad pick for  Mary Jane, tho' I guess I'd have preferred seeing someone who looked and acted more like her ,  Laura Prepon , maybe. But , that's not even a complaint. I never knew why they did'nt paint Willem DaFoe green _- BING ! - instant Green Goblin , instead of using all these appliances to detract from his already reptilian features. I realize ,if they were all lined up for a date with him or me , there'd be ONE line , but , I always thought he was creey looking. Sorry.

I thought , whatshisname , Eric from "That 70's Show" played a right bastard of a rival , but , he might have been even better as Peter Parker . Seriously. Anyway , I should'nt have said I would'nt have liked it , due to my rare aversion to CGI (Sorry . I wish Harryhausen did'nt have to live to see it happen , but , he's been a sport about it.). I liked 'em both. What I saw.

"Ghost Rider" had some nice touches . It was'nt as awful as I expected. I mean , come on , Nicholas Cage. I don't think I've liked anything of his since "Valley Girl" , and he was too young to know how badly he was acting ! I guess I like a few things...The Ghost Rider looked bad ass with his "Eternal flame"skull , and Peter Fonda as Lucifer was the icing on the cake. Otherwise , it's hardly challenging , but , I liked it all right. No use of Suicide's "Ghost Rider" , though ? CRIME !

• December 15, 2011 4:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Retraction : I recently saw the two Spiderman movies . Not in their entirety , but , enough to geta feet for 'em , and I have to admit , I did'nt think they were bad at all. Actually some pretty good performances. Zooey Glockenshpeil  , or whoever , was'nt a bad pick for  Mary Jane, tho' I guess I'd have preferred seeing someone who looked and acted more like her ,  Laura Prepon , maybe. But , that's not even a complaint. I never knew why they did'nt paint Willem DaFoe green _- BING ! - instant Green Goblin , instead of using all these appliances to detract from his already reptilian features. I realize ,if they were all lined up for a date with him or me , there'd be ONE line , but , I always thought he was creey looking. Sorry.

I thought , whatshisname , Eric from "That 70's Show" played a right bastard of a rival , but , he might have been even better as Peter Parker . Seriously. Anyway , I should'nt have said I would'nt have liked it , due to my rare aversion to CGI (Sorry . I wish Harryhausen did'nt have to live to see it happen , but , he's been a sport about it.). I liked 'em both. What I saw.

"Ghost Rider" had some nice touches . It was'nt as awful as I expected. I mean , come on , Nicholas Cage. I don't think I've liked anything of his since "Valley Girl" , and he was too young to know how badly he was acting ! I guess I like a few things...The Ghost Rider looked bad ass with his "Eternal flame"skull , and Peter Fonda as Lucifer was the icing on the cake. Otherwise , it's hardly challenging , but , I liked it all right. No use of Suicide's "Ghost Rider" , though ? CRIME !

• December 15, 2011 4:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A Young Dan Pussey movie , that would've been funny. I was just glad that Clowes finally got ANY movie out , based on his comics (NOT GRAPHIC FUCKING NOVELS. COMIC BOOKS.).  I knew he's been trying to get a TV or Movie deal since the 80's. The first , obvious , choice would've been "Lloyd Llewellyn" , and , much later , "Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron" , but , "Ghost World" was written like a movie , too. I loved the movie , and I liked "Art School Confidential", which was based on a , what? 4 page comic ? I like it better when I watch it again , other people have told me the same .  I am glad for Dan Clowes' success , but , I have to wonder , when the Hell is Peter Bagge gonna get his ? Admittedly , the animated cartoons he did online are hilarious , but , I could see a Buddy Bradley half - hour series or full length film. It's an idea who's time may have well passed and gone....He might have struck gold in the 90's-oughts when some the best TV shows not called "The Sopranos" WERE cartoons (King of The Hill , Beavis and Butthead , South Park , even The Simpsons were still holding their own.).

DammitDave said:

I forgot about the Mystery Men!  Great fun.  Maybe for the sequel, they'll have the Flaming Carrot, too.  I'll hold my breath.

Ghost World?  I'd rather have seen a Young Dan Pussey movie (Alpha Bots?  Omega Mission?)

• September 29, 2011 12:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The only thing I ever appreciated from Jules Feifer was HIS book THE COMIC BOOK BOOK, which I got when I was 10, mostly for the old reprints he put in the second half of the book, I actuallystarted reading the commentary he wrote the following year when I could better understand it (I have asberger's and was reading at college level, but only stuff that appealed to me).  But he seemed to agree too much with Dr. Wertham and HIS book, which I never read either but it's all ridiculous.  I guess we should be thankful that he didn't cast Bruce Wayne as a closet pedophile.  It's funny that the book started as a tangent against Horror comics of the era (EC and all its competitors).  As stupid as THAT was, at least a crusade against horror comics wouldn't tarnish the reputation of do-gooders with stupid theories of who was gay and who was a facist and whatever else Dr. Wertham thought he recognized in child hood favorites.
    • September 28, 2011 7:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin' Rod , I agree. How was Batman going to "Make" Robin Gay anymore than Wonder Woman was going to "Make" young women Lesbians ? We ARE dealing with Jules Feiffer , a cartoonist , himself , who probably made that comment in an attempt to be funny. I don't know. I do know The FRIEDMAN Bros. threw Feiffer's ass on the rails in their comic strip adaptation of his life and career !

You're questions about She Hulk lead me to a Google search and someone actually wrote a book about the entire Bill Bixby experience. You Wouldn’t Like Me When I’m Angry: A HULK Companion by Pat Jankiewicz talks about the unfinished pilot and says a sports figure was going to play her.  But other than that, Google didn't have any other answers.  But what I remember reading way back when on why the comic was created in 1980 was that this TV pilot was going to be done and the comic was a tie-in but of course the pilot was never completed.  I guess we're all gonna have to buy this book.  It's like 500 pages.
      joey fuckup said:
      So was "She Hulk" a completed project? Or a shelved unsold pilot? I thought I read somewhere a long time ago, that Bill Bixby was interested in bringing the Hulk back somehow, and maybe the "She Hulk" telefilm would allow that to happen. I want to say that all this was being discussed/planned but then he died, so the possibility of bringing the Hulk back to television was dropped. I may have mentioned this earlier on this thread, but it's been rumored that a Hulk TV series is on the drawing board with the director of the "Hellboy" films at the helm. (Shit, I just forgot his name.) But this would not have anything to do with the Hulk films at all (???).

Actually, those Hulk team-up movies were on NBC, who didn't care if things got a little goofy.  As for the "Bruce" thing, I remember that too.  Stan Lee didn't get it but that Bruce thing actually goes back to the 50s when some pyschologist wrote this book called SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT  on how comic books were corrupting the youth of America and tried proving that Bruce Wayne was a closet homosexual and was just biding his time until Dick Grayson came of age before he could tell Dick how he "really" felt about him.  This was apperently because during most of the 40s and all through the 50s, he had no romantic interest in the comics.

The She Hulk WAS created for live-action and so a comic was done as a tie in.  Had no idea that Bridgett Neilson was going to be involved.

joey fuckup said:

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Spiderman episodes on "The Electric Company", it's just they were too short, so I always felt robbed! It's why I liked the CBS series better. And yes, Rod, I remember seeing the tag line on Spiderman and Hulk comics promoting them as "TV sensations". Speaking of CBS and their ridiculous "realism" angle, Stan Lee also said in an interview that they were forced to change Banner's first name to David because CBS executives felt that the name "Bruce" was too "homosexual" (???)! I think it was a clever writing ploy in Ang Lee's "Hulk" film that Bruce Banner's father was named David as an homage to the TV series. However, having him turn into the Absorbing Man was a surprise. To me though, the Hulk series did seem more grounded in reality, and was better written (in my opinion). And I'd have to assume the programming guard at CBS changed somewhat and the "realism" concept was thrown out the window when they greenlit "The Incredible Hulk Returns" TV movie with Thor. I remember reading an article on that coming out, and Stan Lee was saying that this project would springboard Thor into his own series (or at least he was hoping it would). Obviously, the reaction wasn't favorable, and that idea was flushed. The next Hulk TV movie "The Trial Of the Incredible Hulk" brought Daredevil and the Kingpin into CBS' "real" superhero world. I believe Stan Lee was yet trying again to bring another Marvel character onto primetime television, but alas, that never happened neither. It's pretty much known that Stan Lee, more or less, was using these Hulk "reunion" telefilms as "pilots" for these characters, but television executives weren't exactly blown away by the characterizations. Of course, the Hulk was killed off in "The Death Of the Incredible Hulk" when Banner was finally able to free himself from his alter-ego. It is known (or rumored) that Bill Bixby and Marvel were planning on doing a "She Hulk" TV movie as a possible pilot for a series, and the then hot on the spot actress Bridgett Nielson would portray her. I've seen a production still of her (or not) as She Hulk, but I can't say 100% sure if it's an authentic photo, or if even this really was a planned venture. The latest rumor I heard was that Marvel was considering a big screen "She Hulk" film spun off the Edward Norton/Hulk film and Megan Fox was being considered for the role.

As dumb as "Spidey Super Stories" was, I actually got a kick out of that but that started when I was 6 and at least the bad guy in the story would have a costume.   That's hilarious about the "realism" comment.  During 1977 through 1979, all the Spider-Man and Hulk comics would have on the cover "Marvel's TV Sensation!"  But while the heroes in the comics were fighting characters like the White Dragon and the Abomination,  The TV characters were fighting the Mob, Bank Robbers and Mad Scientists (Spider-Man), or Cattle Rustlers and conspiritors (the Hulk).  My favorite comic story while the TV show was running was where Spider-Man met a new character that Curt Connors accidently creates called the Iguana.  Can you imagine THAT on the 1977 TV show?

• September 28, 2011 7:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It seems unfair to target Robin as a closet homosexual in his book just on the fact that when it was written, Dick Grayson was portrayed as a 12 year old boy.  He wasn't even 16 until the mid 60s (thanks to comic book time).  I remember reading in Jules Feifer's THE COMIC BOOK BOOK that Wonder Woman was indeed a lesbian and was going to turn young girls into such as well.

John Battles said:

Rockin' Rod ,

Yeah , elsewheres , I mentioned the band , Seduction of The Innocent , made up of comics industry people (Inc. Bill Mumy.) , and that they got their name from the book , which , I wish they'd reissue. Dan Clowes first told me about it , how it says Batman and Robin are closet Gays , while Superman (Whose creators , of course , were Jewish.) was the Nietzchean(sic) embodiment of the "Perfect man " , in other words , Hitler's poster boy , even though ALL the capes and tights set fought for The Allies during the war. The book also suggests that Rock'n'Roll will lead to race - mixing (Horrors!) , and young men being "Turned into" Homosexuals. Clowes did a great comic , using direct quotes from the book. I was supposed to get a transcription of "Seduction"in full , but have'nt got one , yet.  I guess it's buried in legal red tape , or Fantagraphics , or someone , would've made it available to those of us who like a good laugh.

Actually, those Hulk team-up movies were on NBC, who didn't care if things got a little goofy.  As for the "Bruce" thing, I remember that too.  Stan Lee didn't get it but that Bruce thing actually goes back to the 50s when some pyschologist wrote this book called SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT  on how comic books were corrupting the youth of America and tried proving that Bruce Wayne was a closet homosexual and was just biding his time until Dick Grayson came of age before he could tell Dick how he "really" felt about him.  This was apperently because during most of the 40s and all through the 50s, he had no romantic interest in the comics.

The She Hulk WAS created for live-action and so a comic was done as a tie in.  Had no idea that Bridgett Neilson was going to be involved.

joey fuckup said:

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Spiderman episodes on "The Electric Company", it's just they were too short, so I always felt robbed! It's why I liked the CBS series better. And yes, Rod, I remember seeing the tag line on Spiderman and Hulk comics promoting them as "TV sensations". Speaking of CBS and their ridiculous "realism" angle, Stan Lee also said in an interview that they were forced to change Banner's first name to David because CBS executives felt that the name "Bruce" was too "homosexual" (???)! I think it was a clever writing ploy in Ang Lee's "Hulk" film that Bruce Banner's father was named David as an homage to the TV series. However, having him turn into the Absorbing Man was a surprise. To me though, the Hulk series did seem more grounded in reality, and was better written (in my opinion). And I'd have to assume the programming guard at CBS changed somewhat and the "realism" concept was thrown out the window when they greenlit "The Incredible Hulk Returns" TV movie with Thor. I remember reading an article on that coming out, and Stan Lee was saying that this project would springboard Thor into his own series (or at least he was hoping it would). Obviously, the reaction wasn't favorable, and that idea was flushed. The next Hulk TV movie "The Trial Of the Incredible Hulk" brought Daredevil and the Kingpin into CBS' "real" superhero world. I believe Stan Lee was yet trying again to bring another Marvel character onto primetime television, but alas, that never happened neither. It's pretty much known that Stan Lee, more or less, was using these Hulk "reunion" telefilms as "pilots" for these characters, but television executives weren't exactly blown away by the characterizations. Of course, the Hulk was killed off in "The Death Of the Incredible Hulk" when Banner was finally able to free himself from his alter-ego. It is known (or rumored) that Bill Bixby and Marvel were planning on doing a "She Hulk" TV movie as a possible pilot for a series, and the then hot on the spot actress Bridgett Nielson would portray her. I've seen a production still of her (or not) as She Hulk, but I can't say 100% sure if it's an authentic photo, or if even this really was a planned venture. The latest rumor I heard was that Marvel was considering a big screen "She Hulk" film spun off the Edward Norton/Hulk film and Megan Fox was being considered for the role.

As dumb as "Spidey Super Stories" was, I actually got a kick out of that but that started when I was 6 and at least the bad guy in the story would have a costume.   That's hilarious about the "realism" comment.  During 1977 through 1979, all the Spider-Man and Hulk comics would have on the cover "Marvel's TV Sensation!"  But while the heroes in the comics were fighting characters like the White Dragon and the Abomination,  The TV characters were fighting the Mob, Bank Robbers and Mad Scientists (Spider-Man), or Cattle Rustlers and conspiritors (the Hulk).  My favorite comic story while the TV show was running was where Spider-Man met a new character that Curt Connors accidently creates called the Iguana.  Can you imagine THAT on the 1977 TV show?

• September 28, 2011 7:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're questions about She Hulk lead me to a Google search and someone actually wrote a book about the entire Bill Bixby experience. You Wouldn’t Like Me When I’m Angry: A HULK Companion by Pat Jankiewicz talks about the unfinished pilot and says a sports figure was going to play her.  But other than that, Google didn't have any other answers.  But what I remember reading way back when on why the comic was created in 1980 was that this TV pilot was going to be done and the comic was a tie-in but of course the pilot was never completed.  I guess we're all gonna have to buy this book.  It's like 500 pages.
      joey fuckup said:
      So was "She Hulk" a completed project? Or a shelved unsold pilot? I thought I read somewhere a long time ago, that Bill Bixby was interested in bringing the Hulk back somehow, and maybe the "She Hulk" telefilm would allow that to happen. I want to say that all this was being discussed/planned but then he died, so the possibility of bringing the Hulk back to television was dropped. I may have mentioned this earlier on this thread, but it's been rumored that a Hulk TV series is on the drawing board with the director of the "Hellboy" films at the helm. (Shit, I just forgot his name.) But this would not have anything to do with the Hulk films at all (???).

joey fuckup said:

• September 27, 2011 6:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin' Rod ,

Yeah , elsewheres , I mentioned the band , Seduction of The Innocent , made up of comics industry people (Inc. Bill Mumy.) , and that they got their name from the book , which , I wish they'd reissue. Dan Clowes first told me about it , how it says Batman and Robin are closet Gays , while Superman (Whose creators , of course , were Jewish.) was the Nietzchean(sic) embodiment of the "Perfect man " , in other words , Hitler's poster boy , even though ALL the capes and tights set fought for The Allies during the war. The book also suggests that Rock'n'Roll will lead to race - mixing (Horrors!) , and young men being "Turned into" Homosexuals. Clowes did a great comic , using direct quotes from the book. I was supposed to get a transcription of "Seduction"in full , but have'nt got one , yet.  I guess it's buried in legal red tape , or Fantagraphics , or someone , would've made it available to those of us who like a good laugh.

joey fuckup said:

• September 27, 2011 11:13 AM CDT
    • Untitled

joey fuckup said:

• September 27, 2011 2:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Spiderman transported into Concan's world would be great as a back-visit. "THE SPIDER-GOD in the land of the savage!"

Just imagine...

John Battles said:

Aldyth , Actually , I think it's pretty cool that you did remember that.

Aldyth Beltane said:

Oddly, Conan *did* appear in the Spider-Man title Marvel Team-Up, in which Conan was somehow magically transported to modern New York.  MTU had some of the most improbably crossovers imaginable.

(I am oddly disturbed that I recall this particular bit of trivia.)

joey fuckup said:

With Spiderman being the THE flagship character for Marvel, I think the only comic book series he didn't appear in was "Conan the Barbarian". He crossed paths with everybody, and I think back in the '70's (for the most part), Spiderman had 5 different titled series. I read a rumor some time back that a fourth Spiderman movie would involve Morbius, and Blade would appear in it as well. Apparently Marvel was interested in breathing life back into the Blade franchise. There was even an industry insider joke that Wesley Snipes would portray him again because he needed the money. (Referring to his tax evasion troubles). Snipes has said that he has no desire to play Blade again, citing his displeasure with filming "Blade: Trinity". I do know that at one time, he was being considered to play Black Panther for the big screen.

Here for the stir

• September 27, 2011 2:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah, I can totally root for that!! ;)

I'm waiting for someone to make make Superhero movies in that fashion. Someone should make a comic off a Shaky Kane book.

John Battles said:

IDON MINE , You are so right ! I just love seeing what people can do when straddled with a virtually nonexistent budget . They had to use their imaginations ! And that , my friends , is what comic books are all about. Suspension of disbelief.

IDON MINE said:

Rip off super Hero movies are the best!

I love that Mexican Bat Girl flic you metioned, well worth the watching ...and watching again.

John Battles said:

It depends. I like the old serials of the 30's and 40's - Batman (Hilarious) , Spy Smasher , Captain Marvel , Flash Gordon , etc. I still like the '66 Batman movie. There's a seldom - seen R- Rated 70's sex comedy , "Hot Times" , featuring Archie and his gang (Without permisson , of course.)....I used  to see it on primitive cable. Wish I'd bought it when I had the chance. The early 90's Captain America and Fantastic Four movies are a riot...

Here for the stir

• September 26, 2011 9:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey fuckup said:

• September 26, 2011 7:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joey , It's true , I remember reading the network deep - sixed the name "Bruce Banner" (Tho' I think "Bruce" was his seldom - mentioned middle name ) because it was a popular stereotype at that time that a lot of Gay men were named "Bruce" or "Brucie" , and they did'nt like giving off that sort of vibe. I'm not saying they made the right move. It's like , in reality , if you went to a Butler's Convention, how many do you think you'd meet named "Jeeves"? ONE ?!!! In Mad magazine's "Hulk" parody , Bill Bixby , in cartoon form , explains that he was really called "Bruce" , but they changed it to "David" , because Bruce did'nt sound very masculine. Then , you see a TV set , announcing "JENNER WINS THE DECATHALON ! BRUCE IS THE WORLD'S GREATEST ATHLETE !!!" . Then , Adam West sent a letter to The Editor , in real life , saying that CBS should have called Bruce Banner by his "Real" name , as his own character , Bruce Wayne , was a real "Swinger" with the ladies (Tho' his damn fool ass kept saying "No" to Julie Newmar!).

joey fuckup said:

• September 26, 2011 6:36 PM CDT
    • Untitled

• September 26, 2011 3:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Aldyth , Actually , I think it's pretty cool that you did remember that.

Aldyth Beltane said:

Oddly, Conan *did* appear in the Spider-Man title Marvel Team-Up, in which Conan was somehow magically transported to modern New York.  MTU had some of the most improbably crossovers imaginable.

(I am oddly disturbed that I recall this particular bit of trivia.)

joey fuckup said:

With Spiderman being the THE flagship character for Marvel, I think the only comic book series he didn't appear in was "Conan the Barbarian". He crossed paths with everybody, and I think back in the '70's (for the most part), Spiderman had 5 different titled series. I read a rumor some time back that a fourth Spiderman movie would involve Morbius, and Blade would appear in it as well. Apparently Marvel was interested in breathing life back into the Blade franchise. There was even an industry insider joke that Wesley Snipes would portray him again because he needed the money. (Referring to his tax evasion troubles). Snipes has said that he has no desire to play Blade again, citing his displeasure with filming "Blade: Trinity". I do know that at one time, he was being considered to play Black Panther for the big screen.
    • September 26, 2011 2:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joey , I almost forgot The Electric Company stuff...I thought it was cool , just because it was Spiderman. I dug the Spidey theme song they had , when IT WAS SUNG BY SOME GUY TRYING TO SOUND LIKE DR. JOHN , not the kid's chorus.  I heard Morgan Freeman still gets pissed if people sing "Easy Reader , That's My Name.." to him.

Retraction (From earlier) : I did see the second "Spiderman" movie , but only part of it. When I heard Willem DaFoe was going to play The Green Goblin , I thought , perfect ! paint his face green , and he's good to go ! But , of course ,they had to go and bury his face in appliances , to where he was barely recognizeable.

With or without supervillains , Spiderman was always "Realistic" , because he had day -to - day problems.

joey fuckup said:

Yeah, Rod and John, I used to watch that '70's "Spiderman" show religiously, and I loved it. To me, it was a lot better than "Spidey Super Stories" on the "Electric Company" TV series (haha). But Rod, I had to agree, the plots were boring, it was just thrilling seeing him in true action (for the era that is). I had watched an interview with Stan Lee regarding that Spiderman series, and he said that CBS wouldn't allow him to introduce any supervillains from the comics because they wanted the series to be as realistic as possible (?!?!?!?!?!). I guess CBS could invision a guy getting bit by a radioactive spider and becoming superhero, but they couldn't imagine characters like the Green Goblin, Doc Ock, or the Sandman. So the "villains" of the series were boring stereotypes like the mob, bank robbers, mad scientists, etc. One of the great things about the Spiderman comics were the villains, naturally, so it's no wonder the series didn't last long.

I was well aware of the Spider-Man show from the 70s because I was always wondering when the next episode was going to be but even as a 10 year old, I thought it was lame.  No Super-Villains, Spider-Man (or his stunt man) couldn't swing out from a building any further than 10 feet, and the plots were boring.  I felt the Toby McGuire movie was finally the Spider-Man I always loved from the comics even if some of the details were changed.
    • September 26, 2011 2:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IDON MINE , You are so right ! I just love seeing what people can do when straddled with a virtually nonexistent budget . They had to use their imaginations ! And that , my friends , is what comic books are all about. Suspension of disbelief.

IDON MINE said:

I love that Mexican Bat Girl flic you metioned, well worth the watching ...and watching again.

John Battles said:

It depends. I like the old serials of the 30's and 40's - Batman (Hilarious) , Spy Smasher , Captain Marvel , Flash Gordon , etc. I still like the '66 Batman movie. There's a seldom - seen R- Rated 70's sex comedy , "Hot Times" , featuring Archie and his gang (Without permisson , of course.)....I used  to see it on primitive cable. Wish I'd bought it when I had the chance. The early 90's Captain America and Fantastic Four movies are a riot. I liked the new Captain America movie , actually , but , it's about the only one I've watched since the '88 "Batman" movie. Love "Ghost World" , and , yes , I consider "Eightball" and "Lloyd Llewellyn" comic books , not "Graphic novels".  But , lately , I've been digging some of the Turkish unauthorized Western Superhero films , like "Killink" (Better known as Kriminal or Killing , actually a Super - villain , from Italy , I believe ...). But he FIGHTS a Captain Marvel - inspired (Rippped off.) superhero , alternately known as Flying Man or Superhero (Real original , eh.). There's many others like these (Turkey is exempt from international copyright law , or so I've read.) , but , the ultimate is generally agreed upon as "Three Mighty Men". It's about the evil Spiderman , a sadistic crime boss , bumping off any and all rival gangsters and informants who stand in the way of his planned worldwide countierfitting ring. Captain America and Santo are called to Istanbul to fight the evil Spiderman , who does'nt climb walls , but can actually reproduce himself . If killed , he mysteriously reappears !     The South Indian Superman is hilarious , but , of course ,it's 3 1/2 hours long and loaded with romantic musical numbers. In Mexico , Santo , Blue Demon , Mil Mascaras , etc. , have filled the superhero void in the movies , but they did do a "Bat Girl" flick , the title heroine wears a bikini , cape and mask made of material similar to Adam West's costume on TV. Her "Batmobile" leaves a lot to be desired , but , might I say , she does'nt.

• September 26, 2011 12:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 26, 2011 11:15 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Yeah, Rod and John, I used to watch that '70's "Spiderman" show religiously, and I loved it. To me, it was a lot better than "Spidey Super Stories" on the "Electric Company" TV series (haha). But Rod, I had to agree, the plots were boring, it was just thrilling seeing him in true action (for the era that is). I had watched an interview with Stan Lee regarding that Spiderman series, and he said that CBS wouldn't allow him to introduce any supervillains from the comics because they wanted the series to be as realistic as possible (?!?!?!?!?!). I guess CBS could invision a guy getting bit by a radioactive spider and becoming superhero, but they couldn't imagine characters like the Green Goblin, Doc Ock, or the Sandman. So the "villains" of the series were boring stereotypes like the mob, bank robbers, mad scientists, etc. One of the great things about the Spiderman comics were the villains, naturally, so it's no wonder the series didn't last long.

I was well aware of the Spider-Man show from the 70s because I was always wondering when the next episode was going to be but even as a 10 year old, I thought it was lame.  No Super-Villains, Spider-Man (or his stunt man) couldn't swing out from a building any further than 10 feet, and the plots were boring.  I felt the Toby McGuire movie was finally the Spider-Man I always loved from the comics even if some of the details were changed.
    • September 26, 2011 3:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

It depends. I like the old serials of the 30's and 40's - Batman (Hilarious) , Spy Smasher , Captain Marvel , Flash Gordon , etc. I still like the '66 Batman movie. There's a seldom - seen R- Rated 70's sex comedy , "Hot Times" , featuring Archie and his gang (Without permisson , of course.)....I used  to see it on primitive cable. Wish I'd bought it when I had the chance. The early 90's Captain America and Fantastic Four movies are a riot. I liked the new Captain America movie , actually , but , it's about the only one I've watched since the '88 "Batman" movie. Love "Ghost World" , and , yes , I consider "Eightball" and "Lloyd Llewellyn" comic books , not "Graphic novels".  But , lately , I've been digging some of the Turkish unauthorized Western Superhero films , like "Killink" (Better known as Kriminal or Killing , actually a Super - villain , from Italy , I believe ...). But he FIGHTS a Captain Marvel - inspired (Rippped off.) superhero , alternately known as Flying Man or Superhero (Real original , eh.). There's many others like these (Turkey is exempt from international copyright law , or so I've read.) , but , the ultimate is generally agreed upon as "Three Mighty Men". It's about the evil Spiderman , a sadistic crime boss , bumping off any and all rival gangsters and informants who stand in the way of his planned worldwide countierfitting ring. Captain America and Santo are called to Istanbul to fight the evil Spiderman , who does'nt climb walls , but can actually reproduce himself . If killed , he mysteriously reappears !     The South Indian Superman is hilarious , but , of course ,it's 3 1/2 hours long and loaded with romantic musical numbers. In Mexico , Santo , Blue Demon , Mil Mascaras , etc. , have filled the superhero void in the movies , but they did do a "Bat Girl" flick , the title heroine wears a bikini , cape and mask made of material similar to Adam West's costume on TV. Her "Batmobile" leaves a lot to be desired , but , might I say , she does'nt.

Here for the stir

• September 26, 2011 12:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Saturday morning relevent issue shows.  Yeah, those were funny when you look back on them.  I really liked Shazam for a moment too just because of the comic but I couldn't figure out why they never had stories set in the city.  I guess it was cheaper to film out in the mountains and beaches than in the city but I thought that's what sets were for.   The 30s and 40s serials they'd show after school or sometimes before were a lot more entertaining.  I did like the 70s Doctor Strange movie even if it did look a little cheap but it seemed more like a comic book rather than a cop show with a guy in a costume, or painted green.
    • September 25, 2011 9:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin' Rod ,    That's pretty good , I guess you remember the show better a lot than I do , and I was probably 13....I don't remember the plots being particularly engaging , either , but , at the time I was glad the show even existed.        In hindsight , it seemed more like an extended pilot. These other pilots (Dr. Strange , Captain America , Wonder Woman #1.) did'nt seem to have enough to build a show from , but , at the time , I was glad to see they tried.
      The problem was , a lot of these shows had to be "Socially relevant" , instead of focusing on the action. Remember "ShaZZZZZZZam!"? As a kid of about 10 , I liked it , but that was mainly because Captain Marvel was my favorite superhero at the time. But , even then , I felt like I'd been gyped , because there was so little action , and , as you pointed out about the "Spiderman" show , no supervillains....Maybe I'd like the "Spiderman" movie , now that the hype's died down (It took me a year or two to watch "Batman" , because I felt like I'd already seen it. Plus , Warner Bros. were bullying local stores that sold "Batman" buttons that were made years before  , and a club that I was doing ads for at the time , but that's another story.). I just have this aversion to CGI. I don't mind a little , but , with movies like "Van Helsing" , that's almost all there is.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel