Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Comic Book Films: Love 'em Or Hate 'em?

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • June 17, 2011 6:34 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I wasn't too thrilled when I heard the news that N. Cage was going to play Ghost Rider myself. But I have to admit, I did like the movie, but yes, it would have been much better with someone else (and I'm still not sure who I would have picked for it). It was cool to see Peter Fonda in it, but if you read Ghost Rider comics from the '70's, Mephisto was never in human form like that. I was amazed at the effects, though. But one thing you can bet on, Ron, is that if they do sequel, Cage won't do it, since he's said before that it would be highly unlikely that he would reprise the role (even though he's this huge fan of the character). If Marvel pushed for another Ghost Rider film, chances are they would either retell the story, or just go with the '90's treatment of the character with the other alter-ego.

I loved "Daredevil", and agree with you on Ben Affleck. At first, I thought it would suck, but damn, it was such a brutal film! I loved that made him more of a ferocious, driven character as opposed to the earlier comics of a justice enforcer. I actually liked the casting of Bullseye, but really questioned that on Kingpin. And yes, I would have liked Elektra to have been more like the comics version, but since I really liked the movie, I overlooked a lot of that shit. But I just didn't like the "Elektra" movie at all. To me it was "Alias" meets "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". And as far as a sequel, Marvel has pretty much said it won't happen, at least not in the forseeable future, especially since Ben Affleck has said he has no interest in reprising the role (even though he's a big Daredevil fan). All of this sucks, because the potential to have done a second film would have been great, given the character's rich history.
      Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I like most of the new movies I've seen this past decade (I would have liked Ghost Rider as well if they had had some one besides Nicholas Cage as the character).  In many ways they aren't as fun as the stuff from the 40's - 80's but they seem much truer to the comics than they ever have before, and the effects and stunts are much better executed now than they ever could have been done in the past.  It makes you wish that comic book movies could have waited until the technology was perfected instead of hurrying to make it onto the big or small screen, but then again, it's the corniness of the past that makes those older movies fun.

I do want to say something about Daredevil.  I personally think Ben Affleck was an excellent choice for the role but Jennifer Garner as Elektra made no sense and neither did Colin Ferrel as Bullseye.  It was uneven especially towards the end and maybe I'm wrong, but an extra half hour could have helped.  You just felt that the writers' hearts weren't into the project and it was doomed not to have a sequel.  Thor and Iron Man were much better done.

• September 4, 2013 6:15 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Just to keep this thread going, what do any of you think about the current state of comic book adaptations on the horizon? Do you think Marvel is doing a good job with their Avengers template? And how about how things are going with DC? It seems the heat is on them to try and compete with Marvel in what seems to be the laying the foundation for a "Justice League" project.

• September 9, 2013 4:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone who likes garage and comics should check out the Rockin' Bones series.

http://www.comicvine.com/rockin-bones/4050-61711/

It's like an unofficial Cramps comic.

• October 5, 2013 7:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nifty thread. I grew up reading Hulk, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Thor, Capt. America, Iron Man, etc. so here I am. BUT, till now, I like the movie adaptations of those superheroes that convey ONLY sound anti-war and life-learning, good value education to young readers (the target group these comics and movies are made for!!). Having ranted about that, I can safely say that for me, the ONLY good superhero movies have got to be Hulk, Iron Man, Spiderman, Thor...even Superman. I can easily dump Capt. America (TOO nationalistic, pro war and falsely patriotic!!!), X-Men (moronic stories at that!!) and the like. That's MY 2 cents:)

• October 5, 2013 7:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nifty thread. I grew up reading Hulk, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Thor, Capt. America, Iron Man, etc. so here I am. BUT, till now, I like the movie adaptations of those superheroes that convey ONLY sound anti-war and life-learning, good value education to young readers (the target group these comics and movies are made for!!). Having ranted about that, I can safely say that for me, the ONLY good superhero movies have got to be Hulk, Iron Man, Spiderman, Thor...even Superman. I can easily dump Capt. America (TOO nationalistic, pro war and falsely patriotic!!!), X-Men (moronic stories at that!!) and the like. That's MY 2 cents:)

• October 5, 2013 7:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry for the double thread up there............:(

• October 11, 2013 10:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I too, like Thor. I watched the Avengers and was bored - but I'd heard about what a popular character Loki had become so we checked out the Thor full length. I was suprised at how engaging it was.

I haven't read all the way thru the 10 pages of discussion but I'll throw out a few faves... Scott Pilgrim was awesome! Sin City raised the bar for movies from comics and (predictably) Ghost World remains at the top of my list. 

• November 10, 2013 9:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think they are neccessary due to 9/11. People are afraid of this world they're living in, so we need comics and superhero's to be able to face the day. Example V For vendetta versus Asnonymous movement. Or any other robot comic film for that matter. We have become machines, work/home, eat/sleep. etc. 

• November 12, 2013 11:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i AGREE , DAN. "GHOST WORLD" CAUGHT THE MOOD AND TEH DRY HUMOR AND TEH "WONDERMENT IN THE FACE OF BOREDOM" OF TEH ORIGINAL COMIC SO WELL.   BUT , HAVING DAN CLOWES WRITE THE SCRIPT DID'NT HURT . IT'S TOO BAD THEY DID'NT USED "CARBONA NOT GLUE" AS BACKGROUND MUSIC FOR "ENID'S PUNK DAY". I GUESS THEY COULD'NT GET THE RIGHTS . CARBONA'S MANUFACTURERS PROBABLY WOULD'NT HAVE LET THEM USE IT IF THEY DID GET PERMISSION FROM THE RAMONES' PEOPLE.    THE HUGE RETROSPECTIVE SHOW ON DAN CLOWES' WORK JUST RAN AT THE MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART IN CHICAGO. IF IT COMES TO YOUR TOWN , JUST GO.

CLOWES , AND LIKEWISE , PETER BAGGE , WERE BEING COURTED TO DO MOVIES AND TV SINCE THE LATE 80'S. DAN MADE A POINT OF WAITING UNTIL HE HAD COMPLETE CONTROL. I STILL DON'T THINK IT'S TOO LATE FOR SOMEONE TO DO A "BUDDY BRADLEY" CARTOON. OR , EVEN A LIVE ACTION FEATURE. I KNOW BAGGE WOULD'NT DO IT UNLESS THE PEPLE HAD THEIR SHIT RIGHT. IT'S ONLY FAIR.

• January 20, 2014 9:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got the good wordie , "Chica - Murcielaga"aka "Bat - Chica"  (Batgirl) , the unauthorized '66 Superheroine pic , inspired by the criminally -  unavailable "Batman" TV show, is supposed to see an official U.S.debut on DVD , presumably with English subtitles. This Batgirl goes around in a mask and cape very similar to Adam West's attire on TV , but , with a bikini made of the same material. A more or less ordinary black car passes for the Batmobile. It's a fun picture , even though my copy's in Spanish , and my Spanish could be better than it is.....I guess Warner Bros. is ok with it. God knows , they were going around in 1988 , when Batman became THEIRS , forcing stores that had sold Batman buttons for eons to cease and desist. A club I was doing ads for got a cease and desist order from WB's Secret Police for doing Batman themed nights (FREE ADVERTIZING FOR THE MOVIE ) , WHICH THEY'D BEEN DOING FOR YEARS BEFORE THE MOVIE CAME OUT.

• April 10, 2014 6:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Watching "Fearless Frank" , an obscure superhero parody made in Chicago , with Jon Voigt (Pre - Midnight Cowboy.) , Monique Van Vooren and David Steinberg (Wearing a bad fake moustache and  eyebrows that make him resemble Tony Valentino , (unfortunately ) ex- Standells' Guitarist.). The  story line is similar to Andy Griffith's "No Time For Seargents" but with a twist. Voigt plays a good ole' boy from the country who decides to walk to Chicago AND MAKE HIS FORTUNE.  Along the way , he gets murdered by gangsters for trying to rescue reluctant moll , Van Vooren . Next thing he knows , he's been literally brought back to life , Frankenstein-  like (But still looking exactly as he did in his first life.),by a Doctor sworn to combat evil. Instead of becoming a monster , though , he becomes a superhero , with strength to equal that of Superman , plus , he discovers he can fly , too...Soon , his ego gets the better of him , and in that , maybe he Is the deceptively handsome monster (Like Van Vooren and Udo Kier's somehow beautiful , though incestuously concieved , children in " Paul Morrissey's Flesh For Frankenstein", who prove to be the real monsters of that film.). Meanwhile , the Doctor's villainous Brother creates an evil, superhuman  lookalike to Voigt's character . THE TWO FIGHT OF COURSE , AND EACH ONE LEANS MORE TOWARD THE OPPOSITE OF THEIR ORIGINAL INTENDED PURPOSE.

It IS a comedy. IT IS'NT HILARIOUS , BUT IT'S INTERESTING AND FUN .  A NARRATION is done over comic book illustrations (With word balloons , natch.)....YOU EXPECT TO HEAR THE WORD "*SIGH*".

Lots of good location shots of 1960's Chicago . Voigt wears a badass sharkskin suit , and Van Vooren wears a plethora (Her name in the picture) of classy ,  moderately revealing gowns. THE MOVIE WAS RE- RELEASED AFTER THE SUCCESS OF "Midnight Cowboy" , surpisingly , with a "G" RATING. iT MAY HAVE been cut , somewhat , somehow......It is , surely , one of the first Second City - related projects to become a full - length feature. Despite the Frankenstein/Gangster overtone , it seems to be more influenced by THE "BATMAN" TV show (There's even some "BIFF ! BANG ! POW!" FIGHT SCENES.). The movie was released in 1967 , when "Batman" was still on Television. it could be argued it tried to hard to attain camp , but , so did Lady Gaga , and she could BUY  Chicago , now. 

• April 11, 2014 2:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW - I meant it's unfortunate that Tony Valentino is the EX Guitarist for The Standells.

• June 14, 2014 11:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....Thing is , Joey F. , The Standells were , like Garage - Punk or Proto - Punk...whatever they were , they were'nt NEW WAVE . It's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT HEAD !!!!

Wow , I just found "The Legends of The Superheroes".... I REMEMBER SEEING IT WHEN IT WAS ON TV (1978.), but , I only remembered not thinking it was good enough to buy a bootleg copy for $20 at a movie memorabilia show , some 20 years later. I found it for a dollar this week at a thrift store. NOW they're talking my lingo !

Anyway , it was a two - part TV movie that attempted to revive the "Batman" characters (Adam West as Batman , Burt Ward as Robin and the great Frank Gorschin as The Riddler.), with Captain Marvel  (Not Jackson Bostwick from the Saturday morning show , "Shazam!".), as well as Green Lantern (They make a joke about him being Black , though , he was'nt...But , he WOULD be , many years later !), The Flash (Who'd have his own TV show , years later.), Hawkman , and a few lesser - known heroes and villains. Best of all , Captain Marvel's arch - nemesis , Dr. Sivana , turns up . The makeup job looks uncannily like the comic book character , no mean feat. On cursory inspection , the actor playing Sivana turns out to be the legendary Howard Morris (Ernest T. Bass , the voice of Jughead.).

Ruth Buzzi plays the secondary Captain Marvel villainess , Auntie Minerva. 

It gets even weirder BEFORE THAT.....The first half of the show is a superhero celebrity roast , hosted by (I swear before God , and two other Black guys.) ED MCMAHON !!!!!!

Obviously ,the show is played for laughs. Sometimes , it works . You get to see West and Ward in The Batmobile , again. But , overall , it reamains the by - product of Bizarro World.

• January 17, 2015 9:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i don't know....the ant-man trailer looks a little underwhelming....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel