Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Mono or Stereo?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 14, 2011 10:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just bought "The Capitol Albums" volume one by the Beatles, and the CDs include both the stereo and mono versions of the songs from the first four American releases.  I'm just wondering what do people here prefer, mono or stereo?  Personally, I like the mono versions better.

• June 24, 2011 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In the case of the Beatles, sometimes the mono mixes were the ones in which the band was most closely involved, with the stereo mixes being more of an afterthought. For example, I've heard from several sources that the mono Sgt. Pepper is the version the guys approved, while the stereo version had less band involvement. The hideousness of some of the duophonic stereo mixes would seem to support that as well.
    • June 23, 2011 8:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What about the other one: Electronically Processed Mono, which will give a stereo effect on stereo equipment! I.E. I heard a stereo import of "Introducing the Beatles" and there's all extra reverb and shit. whereas the stereo version of the UK "please Please me" was- instruments to the left, vocals to the right. Which i think was basically taken from a 2-track recording type tape machine, (all they had at Abbey Road at the time). I love split stereo mixes though
    • June 20, 2011 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi,

It comes down how was it recorded with the  Beatles and or early  Rolling Stones LP they were all record in mono  so that the way I like listen and on vinyl but I hate the Beatles, but early Stones mono LP's kick ass.The mono recording that were change to stereo just don't sound right good mono recording sounded great!

• June 18, 2011 3:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if it's stereo that is.

Phillip Jaggar said:

glad to be of assistance. Though I do play alot of stereo records for DJing, most early to mid 60's stuff has odd mixing to it.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:
      I put this question in the DJ group forum and this is the kind of input I was looking for, much thanks!

Phillip Jaggar said:
      Mono for DJing, Stereo for home listening. Having to hear a shitty 60's stereo recording in a club sucks, especially bands like Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, and a few Beatles songs are horrid when played in a club. But I do agree stereo did do wonders for some psychedelia.
    • June 18, 2011 3:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

glad to be of assistance. Though I do play alot of stereo records for DJing, most early to mid 60's stuff has odd mixing to it.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:
      I put this question in the DJ group forum and this is the kind of input I was looking for, much thanks!

Phillip Jaggar said:
      Mono for DJing, Stereo for home listening. Having to hear a shitty 60's stereo recording in a club sucks, especially bands like Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, and a few Beatles songs are horrid when played in a club. But I do agree stereo did do wonders for some psychedelia.
    • June 17, 2011 4:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't care either way as long as it sounds good.

There's good and bad mono records and there's good and bad stereo records so the issue is really all about whether the producer/engineer knew what they were doing.

• June 17, 2011 3:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Monoreo ???

Max Reverb said:

2 mono's are better than one!

Lord Muck!! said:

Does mono sound better in stereo...??
    • June 17, 2011 3:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2 mono's are better than one!

Lord Muck!! said:

• June 16, 2011 10:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Phillip Jaggar said:
    • June 16, 2011 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Beatles in mono is amazing, though I have a soft spot for lots of their stereo mixes. Back in the 80's I stumbled onto a mono version of the White Album and I was pleasantly surprised how much cooler it sounded then the stereo mixes I had heard my entire life. And back in the day they would spend a whole lot more time mixing the Mono versions since that was what would be played on radio and TV.
    • June 16, 2011 5:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL!

Lord Muck!! said:
    • June 15, 2011 7:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 15, 2011 3:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Mono generally. Seems more often the actual band are involved in a mono mix, whereas the stereo is done later by an engineer. Not always the case obviously, but generally. I guess later in the 60s people started to actually think more about stereo separation - advances in multitrack technology obviously makes a difference. 2 and 4 track stereo is pretty limited for obvious reasons.
    • June 15, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 14, 2011 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He kept it very carefully hidden with his hair, and years later he underwent a series of operations to get this problem fixed.  I first read about this in Chris Lendt's book, "Kiss and Sell."

The Ultimatemost High said:

Really?  I didn’t know that about Paul.  I just went searching for photos and you can never see his ears.  He even wears a headband over them.

• June 14, 2011 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really?  I didn’t know that about Paul.  I just went searching for photos and you can never see his ears.  He even wears a headband over them.

• June 14, 2011 1:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right, it does work better for songs that are more produced.

What you said about having two ears made me think of Van Gogh, so I couldn't resist:)  Maybe I should have made a reference to Paul Stanley, because he was born with a cauliflower ear.

Heh.  Yeah, that’s just a dumb joke.  But stereo experimentation in the 60’s has an appeal.  I think it made psychedelia that much more entertaining.  

• June 14, 2011 1:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heh.  Yeah, that’s just a dumb joke.  But stereo experimentation in the 60’s has an appeal.  I think it made psychedelia that much more entertaining.  

• June 14, 2011 1:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess that means Van Gogh would have preferred mono:)  Can't say what his favorite band would have been, though.

Stereo.  I have two ears.  :)

• June 14, 2011 12:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stereo.  I have two ears.  :)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel