Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Garage in the Carolinas?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 17, 2011 8:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Although I've been listening to garage and Nugget-y stuff for a long time, and although I've even been playing it with my own "rockin' post-teen combo" for a while, I'm not really aware of a "scene" in this part of the country -- I'm not too far from Columbia, SC.

Is there such a thing around here? Festivals? Record stores that carry this kind of music? Bands that might be interested in splitting gigs? Help ease my isolation.

Warren, drummer/songwriter/vox for The Berries, Newberry, SC

• March 8, 2012 9:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ahh yeah, I can't wait meet to another garage-goon in this neck o the woods, Warren! ...I'll be the spazz with the white tee and tambourine...

Warren Moore said:

The rest of the band and I are planning to be there. I'll be the huge guy with grey-and-red-hair.

• March 5, 2012 7:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The rest of the band and I are planning to be there. I'll be the huge guy with grey-and-red-hair.

Wipeout! said:

Really diggin' the Lean Few...& it's worth notin' that thee Crucials are doin' a reunion of sorts this April with the Lean Few, a new local surf band called Gravitron, & a new incarnation of the Get Wets at Art Bar in Columbi-yeah, SC...dig it, fer one brief nite it'll feel like there's a world of a garage scene in SC...

rob the throb said:

I do a one man band and four piece now trying to bring SOMETHING good in Charleston, SC.  We're the Lean Few (http://www.reverbnation.com/theleanfew)

• March 5, 2012 6:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Really diggin' the Lean Few...& it's worth notin' that thee Crucials are doin' a reunion of sorts this April with the Lean Few, a new local surf band called Gravitron, & a new incarnation of the Get Wets at Art Bar in Columbi-yeah, SC...dig it, fer one brief nite it'll feel like there's a world of a garage scene in SC...

rob the throb said:

I do a one man band and four piece now trying to bring SOMETHING good in Charleston, SC.  We're the Lean Few (http://www.reverbnation.com/theleanfew)

• December 14, 2011 6:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Dirtybeats are based in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, and perform vintage 60's garage rock covers.  Check us out, and download, at bandcamp.com.  We are open to gigs within 60 miles of RDU currently.

Simon said:

Check out Pinche Gringo and The Paint Fumes, Charlotte is starting to pop up on the radar.

• November 23, 2011 7:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Pinche Gringo and The Paint Fumes, Charlotte is starting to pop up on the radar.

• November 18, 2011 3:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

a small sample of the Get Wets live (coverin' les Sexareenos classic "Put Out")

at the sadly defunct Love Shack in Columbi-yeah, SC...dig it

• August 16, 2011 5:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dude, I'm re-forming my combo, psycho a go-go and we're looking for a drummer. We have guaranteed gigs, great originals, vintage gear. The slot is open. for bass player also. We already have the name recognition and will have a lot of support once we start playing.
    • August 16, 2011 4:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is a rather spread out but large garage and surf movement in the Carolinas. Look for the bands Blood Red River, Aqualads, Monterreys, Killer Filler and many others. This May marked the 2nd or 3rd annual "Instro Summit" in Chapel Hill, NC. It was 3 nights of the best instro/garage/surf that the east coast/southeast has to offer. We were honered to take part. It will be happening again in 2011 so I would certainly keep an eye out if I were you.

As for us, we have been doing spradic tours through the Carolinas. Most recently we hit Charlotte and Asheville. We plan on returning some time after the first of the year.

• May 19, 2011 9:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, Please come play Columbia. We are starved for garage here. It's just too laid back a lifestyle here to foster the bone-crunching jackhammer voodoo rythyms I was used to in the NYC/Philadelphia area.
    • May 19, 2011 11:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey fuckup said:

Well, hate to bring up "what used to be", but one of the most famous garagefests in the south was "Sleazefest", a now defunct live music event that was held annually in Chapel Hill. It was the brainchild of Southern Culture On the Skids, and a majority of the bands played the Local 506. Bands like the Fleshtones, Dirtbombs, Paybacks, Greenhornes, Detroit Cobras, Nashville Pussy, and many others played numerous times over the course of years that this was still going on. However, the Local 506 and the Cave which is nearby still book garage bands to play. There is also a killer music shop on the same street called CD Alley, which carries a shit ton of vinyl and cds from Arf! Arf!, Norton, etc. as well as more than enough titles from all your favorite garage, surf, and punk bands. Speaking of Sleazefest, I think it was inspired my a live music event called "Trashfest" that was held in Athens, GA, but I'm not even sure if that's even going on anymore...  

Although it's not really garage, there's the "Heavy Rebel Weekender" event held in Winston-Salem, NC every July 4 weekend, and it's more centered around the psychobilly/rockabilly hot rod scene although they have booked some garagepunk bands over the years...

Sleazefest fuckin' wailed....miss it so...
    • May 19, 2011 11:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well there's at least a small garage/rnr scene in Cola-town...there's Say Brother (southerndirtyblues style garage), Norwegian Blue (surfy garage pop) & my band, the Get Wets (party garage heavily r&b/surf inspired)....check 'em out...would really dig gettin' to see y'all live in Soda city...
    • May 17, 2011 9:05 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Well, hate to bring up "what used to be", but one of the most famous garagefests in the south was "Sleazefest", a now defunct live music event that was held annually in Chapel Hill. It was the brainchild of Southern Culture On the Skids, and a majority of the bands played the Local 506. Bands like the Fleshtones, Dirtbombs, Paybacks, Greenhornes, Detroit Cobras, Nashville Pussy, and many others played numerous times over the course of years that this was still going on. However, the Local 506 and the Cave which is nearby still book garage bands to play. There is also a killer music shop on the same street called CD Alley, which carries a shit ton of vinyl and cds from Arf! Arf!, Norton, etc. as well as more than enough titles from all your favorite garage, surf, and punk bands. Speaking of Sleazefest, I think it was inspired my a live music event called "Trashfest" that was held in Athens, GA, but I'm not even sure if that's even going on anymore...  

Although it's not really garage, there's the "Heavy Rebel Weekender" event held in Winston-Salem, NC every July 4 weekend, and it's more centered around the psychobilly/rockabilly hot rod scene although they have booked some garagepunk bands over the years...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel