Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Modern Farfisa / Vox organ sound?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 29, 2011 10:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Everyone!   I did a search but I really didn't come up with too much about this, so I thoughtI'd ask.  Are there any modern keyboards/organs/pianos that can do the Farfisa or Vox sound?  Anybody ever use any of these?

thanks,

John. 

• August 24, 2011 10:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We've been using the MicroKorg XL. It's really cheap and although it's probably not the exact same sound it's close enough. Downsides are: I think we had to download the Farfisa sound from somewhere on the Korg website and it doesn't have a lot of octaves.
    • August 10, 2011 5:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

On a budget the new (post yr 2000) casios are sleepers - they do quite a good emulation. Such as the CTK 900. Should be able to get it for well under $200 US used.
    • July 14, 2011 10:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe you should try a Yamaha YC-20 combo organ...the are cheap on ebay and never brake down! And the look cool!
    • July 2, 2011 10:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

@ Johnny, we have two Farfisa mini compact's & they are great, but they do spend a lot of time in the shop. We've been using a Nord lately & it rocks. Check out the songs we have up on our page, that's the Nord.
    • June 20, 2011 11:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Korg PS 60 has lots of vintage keyboard sounds and is half the price of a Nord.

http://www.korg.com/ps60

On the organ tab, it has lots of hammond settings, a "vox classic" setting and "60's registars" which sounds like Johnny and the Hurricanes. You can add vibrato to any setting and change rotary speeds. There are 52 organ presets available, so there's a good bit of variety.

The Electric Piano has a "Old E. Piano" setting that nails the dark Wurlitzer tone. 

In the string section, there are some decent mellotron like settings.

Plus you can layer and split the settings. I use some left hand piano/right hand organ on a few songs. Most Nord models cannot have piano and organ at the same time.

• June 16, 2011 9:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Nowadays I use the software Reason by Propellerheads, they have pretty killer Farfisa and various Vox organ samples. I play that with a midi keyboard, run the signal through a guitar amplifier. It doesn't look that cool, but it sounds really authentic to me... and it's in tune!
    • May 30, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivHgX9XImg&feature=youtu.be

The new Korg SV-1, it's marketed as an Electric piano, however it has a really great vox sound, which you can see in the middle of this you tube demo.(around 2:39) However, it's freaking expensive. (2K). Maybe, just maybe they'd put out a cheaper, stripped down version without all the bells & whistles?? Korg, are you listening??

• May 26, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a two-register Farf for sale if someone is interested.
    • May 26, 2011 11:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Nord is about it so far, but I think there is a new digital Hammond coming out (SK1?) that will also have Vox sounds. I play a Hammond XK1 and it has an almost-but-not-quite voxy preset.

I've tried a couple of cheap old combos from E-bay but there's the question of reliabliaty and/or cost to service them

• May 7, 2011 7:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah these guys are right try the Nord C3...has a Farfisa sound and Vox as well ( maybe as an upload ) good for live stuff and reliable. Keep the original keyboards for recording ( we have a Tiesco,Yamaha, Vox & Farfisa )
    • May 4, 2011 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah The Nord is it. 

We have 2 Farfisa's & a Gem (Vox Jaguar) They break constantly, and even here in LA the waiting time to get one fixed is usually around a month. The parts are getting really hard to come by.  So we bought a Nord & find ourselves using it more & more often. It's not as cool looking as the Farfisa, but  it's better than most modern keyboards.

• May 2, 2011 12:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

everybody, thanks for the replies.  I would just think that in today's age of advanced electronics, there would be something more available and less expensive.  On the plus side, maybe that means that the sound isn't something that the mainstream is looking for and this style of music will stay unmolested by the mainstream.  Thanks again.

Time For Tiffin said:

Probably not what ya wanna hear but "luscevious" is spot on.

If ya issues are reliability,ease of transport and replicating the exact sound of a Farfisa or Vox it has to be a Nord.

Downsides are....they look hideous,they cost an arm and a leg,and its full of  Hammond and piano sounds ya wont use.

We spent years humping Farfisa's and Vox's around and after trying load's of cheaper option's had to bite the bullet and purchase a Nord.

• May 1, 2011 5:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Probably not what ya wanna hear but "luscevious" is spot on.

If ya issues are reliability,ease of transport and replicating the exact sound of a Farfisa or Vox it has to be a Nord.

Downsides are....they look hideous,they cost an arm and a leg,and its full of  Hammond and piano sounds ya wont use.

We spent years humping Farfisa's and Vox's around and after trying load's of cheaper option's had to bite the bullet and purchase a Nord.

• April 30, 2011 3:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

nord keyboards are famous for that, but they cost a lot...try running a search on ebay, farfisas are always available in the states

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel