Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: New York Tips?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 29, 2011 5:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah, I forgot i'm djing in canada. Killer diller is taking over the great white north!
    • April 29, 2011 3:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

that weekend has the above & electric mess in canada i believe but i'm sure there will be some good shows. usually these things pop up on the radar a couple of weeks in advance.
    • April 29, 2011 10:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What kind of food do you want to eat?
      Great Jones Cafe is perfect for lunch and drinks(New Orleans styled Southern food). Christophe and I eat there a lot.
      Dumont, in Williamsburg, has an incredible burger and great mac'n'cheese.
      By my house, in Greenpoint, there's this great seafood place with a cheap lobster dinner (only $18 for a whole lobster and fries!) and other great food for little money.
      Crif Dog is a truly American experience. It's a hot dog place that will make you a major fat ass, but it tastes great. They've got two locations, one in Williamsburg and one in East Village.
      Trailer Park in Chelsea is worth a visit. Tacky decorations and greasy food.
      Peter Luger is a famous Brooklyn steak house.
      Head down to Coney Island for awesomely nasty food, rides, a freak show, and the beach.
      If you want pizza, i'll give you a list of places.
      I'm on my phone at work right now, but I can send more suggestions when I get to a proper computer.
    • April 29, 2011 2:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well i'm landing on tuesday 7th and leaving back on monday 13th !

(i m playing with The dwarves in France on the 14th ! so i had to shorten my trip...)

• April 28, 2011 10:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

what dates are you in town? there's a music festival the first weekend of june.  i believe we've got a Hullabaloo! with Twin Guns on June 17...
    • April 28, 2011 9:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks !

i was planing to go to beauty, motor city... i'll maybe try the other places but 6 days is short !

For the restaurants , i heard about the Delicatessen, Katz...

I didn't found any interesseting gigs yet

• April 26, 2011 9:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I only get to NYC once a year but there are some fun things in Manhattan.  Motor City, Cake Shop in LES, Beauty Bar on E. 14th, Lit Lounge in East Village.  Stop by Mark for $2 sliders (on St. Mark's Pl) and interesting beers.  If you want to do something fancy one nite, get a cocktail at the Flatiron Lounge on W. 19th, cool deco bldg and excellent drinks.  Go early to avoid the crowds.
    • April 24, 2011 1:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I did!
    • April 21, 2011 3:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

héhé

did you receive our demo (the cavaliers) ?

Killer Diller Records said:

OK, shit, yeah, I know who you are now.  Christophe and I are finishing the third issue of Bananas today!
    • April 20, 2011 11:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, shit, yeah, I know who you are now.  Christophe and I are finishing the third issue of Bananas today!
    • April 20, 2011 9:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i should have known you're a friend of christophe's.  all you frenchman know each other.  see you in june then.
    • April 20, 2011 4:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

by the way i staying from 7th to 13th june

Kopper is right, you can stay cheaply at a YMCA or a hostel.  As far as "real" hotels in Brooklyn, the only one in an area close to all of the action is http://www.hotellejolie.com/ and it is not cheap.

Are you thinking of spending most of your time in the Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bushwick areas?  Or doing more Manhattan things?

Otto's is in East Village Manhattan(one train stop from Williamsburg), and it can be a fun place to hang out, depending on the night and what you're interested in.  Other than that, Manhattan isn't that great for hanging out at night in bars and clubs unless you know of a specific event you're going to.  Most places are really expensive, overcrowded with yuppies or college students into Lady Gaga, or just a totally standard bar you'll find anywhere in America.

What dates in June will you be here?  I can tell you about some night activities to check out and if you're looking for places to buy records, I can help with that too.

As far as places to stay, I'd just hit the internet and try to find a cheap hotel near a metro station.  If you stay near the L train line you'll be able to jump back and forth between Manhattan and the parts of Brooklyn worth going to.

There are a couple hostels in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, I've heard of.  You might want to google around to find out how much they cost.  Williamsburg is a really safe neighbourhood, so you can feel central and comfortable.  Just be careful about "East Williamsburg" which is pretty much Bushwick, and that area can get a little dodgy, but has REALLY cleaned up the last few years, so it's not total gang wars or anything like that.

You might also want to check craigslist.com and see if you can rent an apartment.

• April 20, 2011 3:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In fact i'm a friend of Christophe ! i'm in Bananas n°2, first pic , on top left, with the Hell Bananas !

Kopper is right, you can stay cheaply at a YMCA or a hostel.  As far as "real" hotels in Brooklyn, the only one in an area close to all of the action is http://www.hotellejolie.com/ and it is not cheap.

Are you thinking of spending most of your time in the Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bushwick areas?  Or doing more Manhattan things?

Otto's is in East Village Manhattan(one train stop from Williamsburg), and it can be a fun place to hang out, depending on the night and what you're interested in.  Other than that, Manhattan isn't that great for hanging out at night in bars and clubs unless you know of a specific event you're going to.  Most places are really expensive, overcrowded with yuppies or college students into Lady Gaga, or just a totally standard bar you'll find anywhere in America.

What dates in June will you be here?  I can tell you about some night activities to check out and if you're looking for places to buy records, I can help with that too.

As far as places to stay, I'd just hit the internet and try to find a cheap hotel near a metro station.  If you stay near the L train line you'll be able to jump back and forth between Manhattan and the parts of Brooklyn worth going to.

There are a couple hostels in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, I've heard of.  You might want to google around to find out how much they cost.  Williamsburg is a really safe neighbourhood, so you can feel central and comfortable.  Just be careful about "East Williamsburg" which is pretty much Bushwick, and that area can get a little dodgy, but has REALLY cleaned up the last few years, so it's not total gang wars or anything like that.

You might also want to check craigslist.com and see if you can rent an apartment.

• April 20, 2011 3:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THanks guys !

in fact we just booked an hotel in chinatown/little italy, not that expensive... I trying cragilist to rent a appartment but it's full of scams out there ...

I already got the dates from garagepunknyc ! I ll be there at Hot Dog on tuesday 7th , it will be our first night !

i got the record shops addresses too !

We'll be doing some touristic stuffs of course but i'm saving time to see rock'n'roll life too !

• April 19, 2011 12:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Howdy Pat,

NYC is a pretty expensive place for hotels.  Here are some recommendations...

This place ain't super cheap but it's cheaper than almost anything in Manhattan and it's walking distance to all the rock'n'roll clubs in Williamsburg & Greenpoint, Brooklyn: http://www.hotellejolie.com/

If you need to go super cheap (> $75 a night), you'll want to look for hostels (something you know from old Europe) or the YMCA.  There's a YMCA in Greenpoint, Brooklyn with clean (but very simple) rooms:  http://www.ymcanyc.org/greenpoint/guest-rooms/accommodations/

If you're looking for kicks, check out the GaragePunkNYC calendar/blog: http://blog.garagepunknyc.com/ -- should be lots of rockin' action in June.

cheers
      SHIMMY 

• April 19, 2011 12:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 19, 2011 12:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When my wife and a friend of ours went to Cavestomp in 2001 we stayed at the YMCA in Brooklyn... I think it was free (or at least VERY cheap). It was just a couple of blocks from the venue, in Greenpoint. Stumbling distance!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 15, 2011 9:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is there anyone here who know someone who can rent us a small apartment or a room ??
    • March 30, 2011 3:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and also Otto's shrunken head...

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel