Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Does anyone here remember the Star Spangles?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 16, 2011 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I first discovered them in May 2003 when they were sharing a bill with the Paybacks at Rosebud here in Pittsburgh (Rosebud is another defunct venue), and I liked them.  A month or so later a song from their debut LP, "Bazooka," was named as a "Coolest Song" on Little Steven's show ("Which One of the Two of Us is Gonna Burn This House Down" was the track).  I bought a copy of "Bazooka" shortly afterwards.  I thought they were a good, solid band, if nothing exceptional.  My favorite song from their debut was "I Don't Wanna Be Crazy," and I liked their cover of "Crime of the Century," a tune penned by Johnny Thunders and Wayne Kramer, which I suppose was from their short lived collaboration, Gang War.  I saw them one more time here in Pittsburgh at the 31st Street Pub in December 2003, and the last time I saw them was at Little Steven's festival at Randall's Island. Personally, I thought they had the best stage outfits of that day (They even outglammed the New York Dolls).  They also shared a local bill with one of my favorite local bands, the Science Fiction Idols, but I missed that gig.  I was disappointed by their follow-up, "Dirty Bomb," because it just seemed to be a really weak recycling of their first LP.   I just googled their name, and it turns out they broke up in 2008.  

Anyway, I'm bringing this up because I'm listening to "Bazooka" at work, and I was just wondering if anyone else here liked them or ever saw them live.

• March 16, 2011 4:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah... I wish I had seen them! All I know is a song called "Stay Away from Me" issued on a promo CD here in the UK, around 2004 I think. It KILLS! Criminally underrated, I'd say.
    • March 16, 2011 3:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, here's a clip of them playing at CBGB.
    • March 16, 2011 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You really didn't miss too much.  Like I said, I liked them, but I wasn't crazy about them.  That's why I didn't find out until today that they had broken up back in 2008, because I really didn't miss them all that much.

sleazy said:
      Nope:((
    • March 16, 2011 3:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, they were picked up by Capitol, and then they got dropped by Capitol after the release of their first LP.

JJ & The Real Jerks said:
      I saw them several times while living in NYC back in 2000-2002. When the whole 'garage rock' explosion happened in 2001 they were going to be the next thing. I think they were picked up by Capitol or something. I liked that tune 'Stay Away From Me'. I saw them a few times with Andy G & The Roller Kings.....Now THEY were a great band!!
    • March 16, 2011 3:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw them several times while living in NYC back in 2000-2002. When the whole 'garage rock' explosion happened in 2001 they were going to be the next thing. I think they were picked up by Capitol or something. I liked that tune 'Stay Away From Me'. I saw them a few times with Andy G & The Roller Kings.....Now THEY were a great band!!
    • March 16, 2011 3:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nope:((

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel