Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: How France gave punk rock its meaning (BBC article)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 6, 2011 8:40 AM CST
    • Untitled

BBC article

Check this out. I found this pretty cool and informative. I'm no punk expert so articles that aren't all about the Clash, the Sex Pistols etc have that effect. The article also links more French punk bands.

• March 14, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I only have that live comp with Stinky Toys on CD. I do actually have a Telephone LP, I don't think they've been mentioned yet. One of the most successful 70's French bands, but hey were a bit more mainstream new wave. It could be the album I have isn't the best tho. As for Stinky Toys stuff, I find that almost anything can be found on Soulseek if one is patient & persistent. Tho I probably shouldn't be advocating that.

Duke Of Earl said:
      I can burn dogs cd for stinky toys copy if interested.

Duke Of Earl said:
      I found the Dogs cd used for like 8$. All the notes in the book are in french so maybe its hard to get over here. Id wanna get a StinkyToys cd too. Not easy to find though for a fair price. Im not interested in french hardcore just raw punk type stuff. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

When I lived in France as a student about 10 years ago I was looking for 70's punk and found a live comp from '78 called "Rock D'ici A L'olympia: La Nuit Punk De L'olympia" with a few of the bands on that list.  I think a lot of French stuff from that period leans more towards new wave, but some of the artists like Stinky Toys, Diesel and Bijou I remember being pretty cool. And I still gotta check out the Dogs. Anyway, I think you can get "Rock D'ici A L'olympia" here:

http://sonsofthedolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/le-rock-dici-lolympia.html

• March 14, 2011 7:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I finally clicked the purloined BBC link and read the article. I only saw the link to the band list before. I totally agree, it's an article for squares. Poor phrasings, like the ones you mentioned, just kinda fall flat and sound over-generalized. And I gotta ask what cause are they "deeply committed" to? Nevertheless, the writer does expose interesting roots of certain punk ideals. I for one never new about the French Situationist influence on manipulators like MacLaren and Wilson. I do think that my interest in NY punk in part led me to major in French; everything from Tom Verlaine & Richard Hell's fascination with Verlaine and Rimbaud and Patti Smith's intro to the Anthology of French Poetry to David Byrne screaming "Qu'est-ce que c'est?" in Psycho Killer and Debbie Harry's dabbling in la langue francais. This article seems to suggest that punk came full circle in the French scene. I don't see it as such an even fit. I agree mostly that an article delving into what punk in Paris was like at the time, with anecdotes of live shows and band bios would be more informative than subjective musing. From a histological perspective I still find some of the trivia connecting French culture to punk is worthy of note, but I'm not sure it works towards supporting the thesis.

Phil holloway said:

Wow,  I hardly know where to start with what is fundamentally wrong with this article.

what a long long stretch this writer has made to prove a thesis.  Always a danger when intellectuals and writers try to define musical expression.  No?

""Now deified as arguably punk's most important individual, Malcolm McLaren,""

""US punk "godmother" Patti Smith""

Not hard to find a quote from Mr Lydon refuting both these claims.

I think most would prefer an article on the French punk scene and a list of bands to check out rather than this.

It supposes that punk gets it's meaning from politics. (rather than from the expression of teenagers feeling both alienated and horny)

To quote Marshall McLuhan "the Medium IS the message".

I am sure most  punk rock fans in France would agree.

• March 12, 2011 5:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm interested in 70s punk bands from france that sing in english. Or other foreign bands. I think the accents can put a unique twist on the sound but im far too lazy to translate languages. I like Briard from finland, I think. Recommended by me so you should all buy it, of course.
    • March 12, 2011 5:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can burn dogs cd for stinky toys copy if interested.

Duke Of Earl said:
      I found the Dogs cd used for like 8$. All the notes in the book are in french so maybe its hard to get over here. Id wanna get a StinkyToys cd too. Not easy to find though for a fair price. Im not interested in french hardcore just raw punk type stuff. 

When I lived in France as a student about 10 years ago I was looking for 70's punk and found a live comp from '78 called "Rock D'ici A L'olympia: La Nuit Punk De L'olympia" with a few of the bands on that list.  I think a lot of French stuff from that period leans more towards new wave, but some of the artists like Stinky Toys, Diesel and Bijou I remember being pretty cool. And I still gotta check out the Dogs. Anyway, I think you can get "Rock D'ici A L'olympia" here:

• March 12, 2011 5:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 12, 2011 4:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Still,  I would give Lydon more credit than McLaren who pretty much is justifiably documented as being a notorious cad.

However I would give McLaren credit for smelling a trend before it blows up.

I think what Lydon says in "the filth and the fury" documentary is basically close to the truth. 

Ultimately we should judge a tree by the fruits. that fruit being the actual output of music. 

nothing else. 

"The real punk movement started in New York and Paris came before the UK because we were really connected to New York..."  Can we at least assume this statement, Unless we redefine "REAL PUNK",  is utter pretentious nonsense?? 

Currently I myself am working on an article about how Motorhead would not have become a band without ABBA winning the 1974 Eurovision song contest.

• March 12, 2011 11:07 AM CST
    • Untitled

I was wondering whether someone would give that article a bit of criticism, I'm suprised it took so long. When I was reading it I thought some of the stuff was a bit dubious if not pretentious. Of course I still found it interesting because I knew nothing about French punk before that and now I know a little.

The claim that British punk rock would just be growly men with guitars is pretty stupid. Neither the Sex Pistols or the Clash were really intelectually political, the Clash at the start were angry punks with more social concerns than wider philospising. Perhaps though there might be some truth for bands like Crass, and then stuff like TSOL? Although even there I can't imagine many anti-establishment punks reading anarchist philosophy in French.

But I wouldn't listen to anything Lydon has said, he just talks crap before claiming to have invented anything from pogoing to Green Day.

• March 12, 2011 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow,  I hardly know where to start with what is fundamentally wrong with this article.

what a long long stretch this writer has made to prove a thesis.  Always a danger when intellectuals and writers try to define musical expression.  No?

""Now deified as arguably punk's most important individual, Malcolm McLaren,""

""US punk "godmother" Patti Smith""

Not hard to find a quote from Mr Lydon refuting both these claims.

I think most would prefer an article on the French punk scene and a list of bands to check out rather than this.

It supposes that punk gets it's meaning from politics. (rather than from the expression of teenagers feeling both alienated and horny)

To quote Marshall McLuhan "the Medium IS the message".

I am sure most  punk rock fans in France would agree.

• March 8, 2011 9:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 7, 2011 11:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is so many others then the ones in the articles that were better and far more interesting. Here's few; Béurier Noir, Les Wampas, Parabellum, Les Rats, Les Sheriff, Pigalle, Les Garçons Bouchers, Lolitas, La Mano Negra, OTH, Ludwig Von 88, Les Collabos, Komintern Sect, Camera Silens, and Trotskids. Most of them came from the 80's, but trust it's worth it to give them a good listening!!

Enjoy!!

• March 7, 2011 8:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out the French punk band the Dogs for sure. I don't know that many from France though. What 70s punk rock bands from France can compete with the DOGS?
    • March 7, 2011 7:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks for sharing, interesting!

erika

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel