Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Does Portland Have Any Punk Venues?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 27, 2013 2:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Since Satyricon closed down, has Portland, Oregon had anywhere for a punk band to play? It seems like Slabtown, Dante's, Doug Fir will have a punk roadshow once in awhile, but is there a venue that showcases local punk consistently?

Are there any local punk bands left in Portland?

• January 29, 2013 4:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin', glad to hear you're going! Yeah, downtown  West side is pretty narsty, Dante's had some cool stuff in the past. But no-one ever says a bad thing about Ash St.

Thanks for venue names, always good to spread the word.
      Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

For some reason my brain registered Sonics as Sonic Youth and I'm now realizing its The Sonics (really!!??). Wow, I was lucky enough to see Gonn a few years ago and I have never seen The Sonics. I like Hawthorne Theater, friendly folks. I saw Unknown Hinson there last summer. So, yeah, I will go in that case. In terms of venues (garage/surf's been on a downturn for quite a while around here there's more of just basic punk or slight variations thereof) lately. So all depending on the night.... East End, Kenton Club, Foggy Notion, Katie O'Brien's (love the bar staff there, actually looks like a promising show on Feb. 10), occasionally O'Malley's ..... Somebody already put up the website I check for shows. I try not to put name or sources up because I'm well aware of the creepy phone calls that venues get from RIAA folks. . . Luckily, I don't see a shortage of original bands playing original music, just downtimes here and there. . . such as now. Right after the holidays it seemed like everyone was playing. I'm not a big fan of Downtown... because of the douche-ification factor. Ash Street Saloon isn't so bad, tho'.

dave said:

Ugh, Crusty-core, don't remind me! ;D 

But where do garage-type punks hang out? Or where do '77-types hang out?

Y'going to the Sonics gig?

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

Are you guys kidding? There are more punk venues than even 2 years ago AND booking ...well almost 7 days a week (who can afford 7 days a week anymore). Doug Fir?...that's more of hipster noise venue. Though there's is the occasional good show there. Quite a few don't seem to advertise, which is fine by me. It's the Portland-weird way. But get ye olde Mercury or WW out, seek and ye shall fine. Some venues may place a general ad, but don't put the shows up, could I be speaking of Club 21? This town is littered with everything punk venue-wise....I like The Know because it's in my 'hood. Even if you don't like too much doom crusty in yer punk'in pie. No, they mix it up. Y'know Portland is home to the hybrid crust-hipster-punk-doom crossover. Hybrid is the wave of the future you know.

• January 29, 2013 3:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For some reason my brain registered Sonics as Sonic Youth and I'm now realizing its The Sonics (really!!??). Wow, I was lucky enough to see Gonn a few years ago and I have never seen The Sonics. I like Hawthorne Theater, friendly folks. I saw Unknown Hinson there last summer. So, yeah, I will go in that case. In terms of venues (garage/surf's been on a downturn for quite a while around here there's more of just basic punk or slight variations thereof) lately. So all depending on the night.... East End, Kenton Club, Foggy Notion, Katie O'Brien's (love the bar staff there, actually looks like a promising show on Feb. 10), occasionally O'Malley's ..... Somebody already put up the website I check for shows. I try not to put name or sources up because I'm well aware of the creepy phone calls that venues get from RIAA folks. . . Luckily, I don't see a shortage of original bands playing original music, just downtimes here and there. . . such as now. Right after the holidays it seemed like everyone was playing. I'm not a big fan of Downtown... because of the douche-ification factor. Ash Street Saloon isn't so bad, tho'.

dave said:

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

Are you guys kidding? There are more punk venues than even 2 years ago AND booking ...well almost 7 days a week (who can afford 7 days a week anymore). Doug Fir?...that's more of hipster noise venue. Though there's is the occasional good show there. Quite a few don't seem to advertise, which is fine by me. It's the Portland-weird way. But get ye olde Mercury or WW out, seek and ye shall fine. Some venues may place a general ad, but don't put the shows up, could I be speaking of Club 21? This town is littered with everything punk venue-wise....I like The Know because it's in my 'hood. Even if you don't like too much doom crusty in yer punk'in pie. No, they mix it up. Y'know Portland is home to the hybrid crust-hipster-punk-doom crossover. Hybrid is the wave of the future you know.

• January 29, 2013 1:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ash St.? Thanks for the info, fingers crossed!

MonkeyBeat said:

Portland's clubs are currently on a down swing. I don't think any of them book live bands 7 nights a week right now, & none really book only one type of music like the Satyricon did back in its day. The last one to do the punk only booking was Plan B, which just changed to become the "White Owl Social Club". They just opened a week or so ago, so I'm not sure what the booking plans are for them. The old Plan B booker is now at Ash Street Saloon, so they might be an up swing in punk bands at that venue.

Most of the local punk gigs are listed on http://pc-pdx.com/show-guide/

• January 29, 2013 1:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lutz Vipinderwoman said:

• January 28, 2013 12:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 27, 2013 11:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Portland's clubs are currently on a down swing. I don't think any of them book live bands 7 nights a week right now, & none really book only one type of music like the Satyricon did back in its day. The last one to do the punk only booking was Plan B, which just changed to become the "White Owl Social Club". They just opened a week or so ago, so I'm not sure what the booking plans are for them. The old Plan B booker is now at Ash Street Saloon, so they might be an up swing in punk bands at that venue.

Most of the local punk gigs are listed on http://pc-pdx.com/show-guide/

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel