Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: GaragePunk.Com: An Embarassment of Riches???

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 7, 2011 9:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here is a whiny complaint from an ingrate. :) There are just too many awesome podcasts. Wayyy too many with similar form and content to listen to them all. You have to sift through hours of stuff to find ones you really like. I either listen to podcasts while I'm exploring the Hideout site, or on my iPhone while I'm out stumbling around. So I only have time to basically choose one or two and go with those, which leaves me sticking to the same two or three podcasts at all times. FlyingSsaucer RnR is always good, Koppers' show is always good, I like the Surfcast. Other than that, despite there being tons of great shows here, (Get Drunk and Play Records gets honorable mention) I don't check as many out as I'd like to. MAYBE there's a way to organize the podcasts into, like, categories so people can find the ones they're interested in more easily? For example I'm mostly interested in hearing vintage 50s and 60s stuff, some rockabilly, some garage, some surf, some old greasy soul/RnB, and newer bands that sound like that. Not so much interested in KBD style punk and noise-punk. So I'd prefer to avoid that stuff, where other people might want to go straight for that and avoid the vintage stuff. I dunno, I'm probably being a dick. But there you have it. :)
    • February 9, 2011 4:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

swt said : "Anyone who listens to ALL the shows has a lot more free time than I do."

I usually listen to one show a day (while driving to work or in my bathroom, trying to make myself look like a decent man when I was born as ugly as your worst nightmare) and I'm usually able to listen to them all, even if I'm a bit late !

And I'm glad I can because picking just a few shows would be soooo frustrating since they're all soooo GREAT !

One more thing, each show is posted via the podcaster's own blog here in the HIDEOUT. And these blogs are tagged. Could be a way too pick more easily what you're looking for...

• February 8, 2011 3:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

PLUS: The others are right :)

Here for the stir

• February 8, 2011 3:15 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's just like with mother nature's givings: The goodness never stops on the GARAGEPUNK HIDEOUT.

Seriously, here's a discussion where people can spotlight their personal faves from time to time, including what they loved about the content and the programming of a show, so others can pick up on it easy:

YOUR FAVE KICK ASS PODCASTS!

Here for the stir

• February 7, 2011 4:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Mal. The admiration is mutual.

Mal Thursday said:
      THE BIG ENCHILADA rules, by the way. WAY PAST COOL, KICKS FROM THE BOOT, and Kopper's new show are other good ones of more recent vintage. And the beer-themed one as well. There are so many. Michael Kaiser's are great as well. RADIOBLIVION, R.I.P.
    • February 7, 2011 4:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE BIG ENCHILADA rules, by the way. WAY PAST COOL, KICKS FROM THE BOOT, and Kopper's new show are other good ones of more recent vintage. And the beer-themed one as well. There are so many. Michael Kaiser's are great as well. RADIOBLIVION, R.I.P.
    • February 7, 2011 3:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You have a good point, Chaz. Anyone who listens to ALL the shows has a lot more free time than I do.

Maybe tagging is a good idea (if that's possible. Is it?)

The trouble with trying to organize is that a lot of our podcasts contain lots of those various genres -- R&B, garage old and new, rockabilly, often in the course of one show. I know mine, The Big Enchilada, does.  I also do hillbilly shows every few months and often do sets of various styles including gospel, jug band, Japanese punk, "world garage" etc.

Most of the current podcasts have playlists on our Hideout blogs or at least descriptions of each episode.

• February 7, 2011 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree: too much of a good thing. I'm not complaining, though.

I just think that your idea of organizing them, or at least tagging them so they are easily searchable, might be a good way to self-promote them a bit better. Maybe each episode could be tagged much in the way we can tag these forums/discussion topics.

PS: Try Radioblivian (my personal fav), I think you'll like that one, too.

• February 7, 2011 10:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah I've listened to most of the older ones from years back, and I really like Mike Stax's show. I'm sad the Radioblivion is over. And I have listened to and enjoyed your show, sir. I'm going to check out the greasy RnB 'casts you mentioned as i don't *think* I've checked those two out before, despite having been listening here almost as long as GaragePunk has existed. Thanks!

Mal Thursday said:
      I would say that most of the shows here meet your criteria. Of course, I gotta tell ya, you're missing out on some great shows. For instance, THE MAL THURSDAY SHOW, TEXAS TYME MACHINE, and FLORIDA ROCKS AGAIN!

For greasy R&B, a couple of no longer active 'casts, HOT SLOP and SHOUT BAMALAMA! Had some good stuff.

My favorite new show is UGLY THINGS ON THE RADIO.
    • February 7, 2011 9:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would say that most of the shows here meet your criteria. Of course, I gotta tell ya, you're missing out on some great shows. For instance, THE MAL THURSDAY SHOW, TEXAS TYME MACHINE, and FLORIDA ROCKS AGAIN!

For greasy R&B, a couple of no longer active 'casts, HOT SLOP and SHOUT BAMALAMA! Had some good stuff.

My favorite new show is UGLY THINGS ON THE RADIO.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel