Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Dirtbombs Do Techno

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 2, 2011 4:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've just ordered "Party Store," the new Dirtbombs LP where Mick Collins and co. cover 9 classic Detroit techno classics. I've heard a couple of songs and they sound ace. I reckon all the garage purists are gonna hate it. Love to hear some opinions.
    • February 10, 2011 3:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Party Store turned up yesterday and I've just finished listening to it and I have to say I fuckin love it. Only familiar with a couple of the origoinal techno tunes and am not really a big fan, but I love the way the dirtbombs have scuffed em up and made them sound gritty and dirty, the drumming is ace. I thought it would polarise opinion and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground, you either love it or hate it.
    • February 8, 2011 7:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Scion paid for them to record the album. Mick's influences are all over the place. This might get them some additional exposure that they deserve for the albums we all love. People like us will talk about it until the cows come home. Back in the mid 90s there was a tribute album to the Smith's performed by a bunch of knucklehead Hardcore bands. That got me to look at the Smith's a little differently. Hopefully if some Techno purists check this out they will like the Dirtbomb's a little more and who knows maybe the Dirtbomb's can convert a skinny jean wearing kid on this site to hit the dance clubs (god forbid!).
    • February 7, 2011 10:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ko mentioned this album on her Underground Garage show on Sirius/XM.  She's really excited about it, but she also admits that a lot of people probably aren't going to like it.  Unfortunately, that's the price you pay for doing something new or different.
    • February 7, 2011 9:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds cool to me:)

electrocute your cock said:
      Sounds like the score for some cheesy straight to dvd burnt-out maverick-cop-on-the-edge action film.
    • February 6, 2011 6:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fantastic!
    • February 5, 2011 8:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

not impressed. in fact, pretty lazy and horrible
    • February 5, 2011 5:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

disappointed...very
    • February 5, 2011 4:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

we not like this new record.
    • February 4, 2011 5:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 4, 2011 2:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I heard Dirtbombs have been invited to play at the next "Movement" techno festival in Detroit.

THE GO SOUND INVASION RADIO SHOW said:
      Well I only listened the album once and I was .... petrified.
      Now I'm a bit skeptical (I have to listen to it again) and I wonder: what about the live act ??
      Did Mick Collins or someone else in the band say something about it ?
      Eric.
    • February 4, 2011 10:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well I only listened the album once and I was .... petrified.
      Now I'm a bit skeptical (I have to listen to it again) and I wonder: what about the live act ??
      Did Mick Collins or someone else in the band say something about it ?
      Eric.
    • February 4, 2011 9:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha! You're absolutely right.

electrocute your cock said:
      Sounds like the score for some cheesy straight to dvd burnt-out maverick-cop-on-the-edge action film.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• February 4, 2011 9:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• February 4, 2011 9:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Geez, you know I love the Funk and I'm glad people do too. The stuff you named shows that. Just saying, it would turn those people off on a high rate that are purely into loud trash (therefor the percentage - it's not aimed at the world population or aware music listeners. Sorry if I didn't make that clear). :)

+ The Dirtbombs may be looked at by the younger Techno crowd outside Detroid for a second with this album and all it's remixes. But they won't cut into it and see it as a good thing, that would lead them to listen to other material by them. They will jump back to their David Guetta derivate and think it's the shit. Just my lame-ass prediction though...

Anyhow, I know I'm sticking my neck out with this and don't mean to compare, but why this interest me and why I give it the genral "OK" button, is because: I see this happening in a larger swap of work, along with Mr. Quintron, Hunx's earlier Gravy Train!!!! involvement and the SUICIDE/punk connection. Hell, even the later New Wave thing. Bear in mind, that's only my corner to come from though. "People" always hate that stuff when it's out - everyones got their personal likes, so what the hey.

Even Muddy Waters got shit for his Electric Mud back then and he just played the same cool stuff as always. But I'm drifting off... Finally, I'm happy these guys step out of their comfort zone, playing round with the form, should we dig it or not.

kopper said:

IDON MINE said:

I'm still waiting for Mick to go all Funk, like he said he would some time ago. Now that would be boring to 92% of ... hmmm, everyone.

Are you kidding me? Funk is a lot more popular than that. Just look at how successful King Khan & the Shrines have been! People love George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic, not to mention James Brown. Hell, there've always been funk cover bands in St. Louis, even. And let's not forget the whole funk/rap/metal craze of the late '80s, either. Fishbone used to be a good ska band until they jumped on that funk bandwagon.

Here for the stir

• February 4, 2011 8:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://metrotimes.com/music/the-dirtbombs-i-party-store-i-1.1095346

n8dly said:

Tied in with that are the (Scion sponsored) techno remixes of Ditbombs songs that were announced two days ago. Here is the press release with links to free downloads:

The Dirtbombs, the venerable Detroit garage outfit formed by Mick Collins, will be the next entry in Scion A/V's ongoing remix series. While the project intitally seems at odds with The Dirtbombs' oft-traditional blend of garage, punk, and soul, the new album marks a stylistic departure for the band, paying homage to the diversity of their hometown with a collection of classic Detroit Techno covers. Scion A/V, long proponents of both the garage rock and Detroit techno scenes, are commemorating the effort by releasing an EP of techno remixes of The Dirtbombs' covers, along with a booklet of stories by Collins about his youth in Detroit, his first exposure to Detroit techno at parties in 1982, and, most surprisingly, his forays into making dance records before forming the massively influential garage band The Gories, which his name would soon become synonymous with.

Opening with the classic 1981 A Number of Names single "Sharevari", recontextualized through both theDirtbombs' and ubiquitous Detroit house DJ Omar S's filters. Then, handclaps and heavily delayed guitar lines signal the intro to techno collective Ectomorph's remix of the band's take on Knights of the Jaguar's classic 1999 single "Jaguar". The third and final remix, of Innerzone Orchestra's "Bug in the Bassbin", is a gritty facelift by Kyle Hall, the 19-year-old prodigy already being praised by the likes of XLR8R and many others as the new face of Detroit techno. Closing out the collection is the original Dirtbombs version of "Sharevari".

Scion A/V Remix: The Dirtbombs tracklisting:

1. Sharevari (Omar S Remix)

2. Jaguar (Ectomorph Remix)

3. Bug In The Bassbin (Kyle Hall Remix)

4. Sharevari (Original Dirtbombs Version)

Stream and download Scion A/V Remix: The Dirtbombs here:

Stream: http://soundcloud.com/scionav/sets/scion-a-v-remix-the-dirtbombs

Download: http://scionav.com/thedirtbombs   

Watch the trailer here: http://vimeo.com/18965404

To see the video for The Dirtbombs' cover of "Sharevari" that came out last month as part of the latest installment of the Scion A/V Video series click here: http://vimeo.com/15623513

• February 4, 2011 1:47 AM CST
    • Untitled

It's not something I can listen to like regular rock n roll, but on my computer I have a bunch of acid jazz and electric violin instrumentals that don't go anywhere. They are boring to listen to for fun but sometimes if I'm doing something where I need concentration and a little bit less music then that kind of stuff is pretty cool. I can't be bothered to listen to a 6 minute song of repetitiveness because it goes nowhere but as far as background noise goes it's cool.

Would I be paying attention to it if I didn't know it was The Dirtbombs? Really I don't know jack shit about Garage music. I got into this whole thing last year when I joined the site and this might make a few folk cry but this might just be the first Dirtbombs song I heard!

kopper said:

The song posted above sounds like someone trying to learn guitar over a techno backbeat, at least at the beginning. Then later on it sounds like disco, then back to meandering guitar that goes nowhere. I find it quite tiresome and annoying. There's no ROLL to it. Like a continuous buildup but no climax. I mean, what's next? Hand claps? I usually try to listen to things a few times before giving any opinions, but in this case, I'm with Teenfink.

Also, consider this: Would you be paying ANY attention to this if you didn't know it was the Dirtbombs?
      Mike Humsgreen said:

I don't know much about techno but because they are using actual instruments to do the covers, it just sound like a jazzy instrumental. The redigitized stuff on scion just sounds like someone shat on my speaker.
    • February 3, 2011 11:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:

Also, consider this: Would you be paying ANY attention to this if you didn't know it was the Dirtbombs?

no

• February 3, 2011 7:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IDON MINE said:

I'm still waiting for Mick to go all Funk, like he said he would some time ago. Now that would be boring to 92% of ... hmmm, everyone.

Are you kidding me? Funk is a lot more popular than that. Just look at how successful King Khan & the Shrines have been! People love George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic, not to mention James Brown. Hell, there've always been funk cover bands in St. Louis, even. And let's not forget the whole funk/rap/metal craze of the late '80s, either. Fishbone used to be a good ska band until they jumped on that funk bandwagon.

• February 3, 2011 5:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

actually at 4:25 there is this kind of "House" Handclapping...hehe

kopper said:

The song posted above sounds like someone trying to learn guitar over a techno backbeat, at least at the beginning. Then later on it sounds like disco, then back to meandering guitar that goes nowhere. I find it quite tiresome and annoying. There's no ROLL to it. Like a continuous buildup but no climax. I mean, what's next? Hand claps? I usually try to listen to things a few times before giving any opinions, but in this case, I'm with Teenfink.

Mike Humsgreen said:

I don't know much about techno but because they are using actual instruments to do the covers, it just sound like a jazzy instrumental. The redigitized stuff on scion just sounds like someone shat on my speaker.
    • February 3, 2011 5:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, right, the fact that the Dirtbombs did it brings it up on my radar, there's nothing bad with that I think. Two scenarios apply:

A) I would not hear of it, if it was another band, cause I'm slow that way and would possilby pick it up years later when I come across it in a yard sale. Because: I like the connection of electronic beats and handmade beats and would check it out.

B) I'm basically open to that kind of experiment, be it a fail or a win, to speak in internet lingo. So, it would be on my radar anyhow, popularity enhancing it or not. Just a matter of finding it then :)

Go for the "weird" stuff (in whatever context), yes. I'm still waiting for Mick to go all Funk, like he said he would some time ago. Now that would be boring to 92% of ... hmmm, everyone.

Here for the stir

• February 3, 2011 5:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds stoopid to me.

• February 3, 2011 4:54 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's not just because it's the Dirtbombs that I'm paying attention, there is a history of bands with punk roots mixing dance beats of various styles with guitars. It doesn't always work but Gang of Four, Delta 5, Public Image, Cabaret Voltaire, The Fall and many others have all produced great music by mixing things up a bit.

kopper said:

Mike Humsgreen said:

• February 3, 2011 4:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I get the idea of using guitars to play computer music, the Dirtbombs have done it before covering Soft Cell. I don't think Mick Collins is doing it to get a reaction or to piss anyone off, it seems he's genuinely interested in doing something different and stretching what he can do with a regularish band format. And from what I've heard so far of Party Store I like the results. It reminds me a bit of Can and Neu!

The Scion remixes seem a bit pointless though in that they've just turnd it back into more or less the same techno tunes they were originally.

• February 3, 2011 4:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike Humsgreen said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel