Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: GG Allin

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • January 26, 2011 6:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not exactly familiar with a lot of his music and I know he's not exactly along the lines of Garage Punk, Psych Folk Rockabilly Trash Surf and other various lofi genres generally favoured in this site but I'm wondering for any fans out there..what is a good place to start ? What was his best era ? For his albums, previous bands etc. Never really dug deep into his music and more so just seen footage of him for his antics.
    • December 10, 2012 8:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for reposting. That is so funny. Even all the turds in that cartoon of GG did'nt tip this guy off .

Leco Rezende said:

Haha, that's a good one. Sorry for the video did it wrong

here's the right link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBpmDWf3rw

• December 10, 2012 5:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I loved it, it was so funny when fell for it. They never knew who he really was. It shows the ignorat are always worthy of a laugh. 

Leco Rezende said:

Haha, that's a good one. Sorry for the video did it wrong

here's the right link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBpmDWf3rw

• December 10, 2012 2:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Violencia , Alcoholismo , Drogas , Crimen y......LA POLKA ?!!!

• December 9, 2012 7:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I could'nt get it to play ,but , that's probably my computer. A hoax , YAY ! My favorite GG Hoax is that he was stabbed during the '85 Dallas show. Horseshit , I was there. I told his biographer I'd tell him what I remembered about that show. Never heard back from him.

Several years ago , The Goblins (Masked Chicago band.) staged a phony res - erection of GG . tHE GUY WHO PORTRAYED HIM (He's here , BTW ,but , he can out himself.) flung choklit puddin ' at the audience . "OH NO ! HE'S POOPING ON THE AUDIENCE ! OH , THE HUMANITY !".

• December 9, 2012 1:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In 2003, we did here in small city in south of Brazil a Ten Years without GG Allin Festival. 5 days of gore/horror/alternative movies and documentaries at the Federal University and a gig at the end of it in a local bar. My garage band played a  cover of GG's I wanna fuck myself. But the best part of the festival was the hoax my friends did at the local TV Show.

you can check out here with subtitles:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBpmDWf3rw

• December 7, 2012 7:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

GG Allin and the MC2 (Wayne Kramer and Dennis Thompson)

And this is my favourite cover of a GG song:

• December 5, 2012 3:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course, Always was... is great, but he's also recorded country music and that's some perfect material. Check the Carnival of Excess album.

• December 4, 2012 10:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not that I know of .....If he did'nt , then Question Mark beat him to the punch , posthumously , anyway ,  by saying "Fuckin'" in his version of "Don't Give It Up , Now".

• December 4, 2012 10:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Didn't he cover one of their songs?

John Battles said:

A former member of DMZ told me that GG wanted them to be his backing group , but , this was long before he became "The Monster". Under a different set of circumstances , that might have worked , in the short term.  I talked to GG a few times , he was'nt so imposing when he was'nt on stage....He said , when he lived in  Boston , there were'nt very many bands , there , that he liked at the time , but , he did like The Lyres , and he preferred DMZ to The Lyres , as well.

• December 4, 2012 9:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A former member of DMZ told me that GG wanted them to be his backing group , but , this was long before he became "The Monster". Under a different set of circumstances , that might have worked , in the short term.  I talked to GG a few times , he was'nt so imposing when he was'nt on stage....He said , when he lived in  Boston , there were'nt very many bands , there , that he liked at the time , but , he did like The Lyres , and he preferred DMZ to The Lyres , as well.

• December 4, 2012 9:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I'd love to have heard him do a garage album, which could have been a humdinger. He could start dressing sharply and channel his fury more stylishly. It shows he had great taste in music.  I know he liked a lot of the blues artists, as he said he could listen to that all day, as I can. I could even easily imagine him doing an R&B album too (as in the proper stuff). 

John Battles said:

Yeah , my friend's band , here , did a version of it a few years ago. I forget their name because it's a Japanese name.....The very early Jabbers stuff borders on New Wave OR POWER POP , BUT , I WAS IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE GUYS IN THAT BAND , AND HE SAID GG WAS VERY MUCH INTO GARAGE , ROCKABILLY , ETC. 

• December 4, 2012 7:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gonzo , I guess no one answered your question , here , but , drink , drugs , jail and accelerated hard living happened to GG....It is almost hard to believe , when you look at pictures if him , taken at scarcely over a dozen years before his death , he looked like he could have done very well with the ladies. Even in '85 , when I first saw him , he still seemed like somebody the chicks would dig......UNTIL !!!!!! You know , doo doo caca poo poo shiser.

Gonzo said:

Holy crap that's GG ? What ever happened to him ...thanks for the replies.

kopper said:

Always Was, Is and Always Shall Be LP (1980) is indeed fantastic. There are a couple of other early 7" EPs that are worth hunting down, too. The S/T 7" on Orange Records from 1980 is one, GG Allin & The Scumfucs 7" on Blood Rec. (1982?) is another.

• December 4, 2012 6:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , my friend's band , here , did a version of it a few years ago. I forget their name because it's a Japanese name.....The very early Jabbers stuff borders on New Wave OR POWER POP , BUT , I WAS IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE GUYS IN THAT BAND , AND HE SAID GG WAS VERY MUCH INTO GARAGE , ROCKABILLY , ETC. 

• December 4, 2012 3:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

The Dum Dum Girls did a brilliant version of "Don't Talk To Me", with girl group-esque vocals and completely made it their own.

• September 25, 2011 11:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

haha fucking thiefs... but it's okay because they're so cool... 

John Battles said:

Axel , It sounds like they mean they would like to hear The Ravonettes cover it...."Die When You Die" actually IS a cover song , of sorts. It's taken directly from "You're Gonna Die" by Destroy All Monsters. He changed it a bit ,  of course , the words are his. He did the same thing with "Scumfuc Tradition" ("Family Tradition" by Hank Williams , Jr.) , "Outlaw Scumfuc" ("Longhaired Redneck by David Allan Coe.) and even "Blow Jobs" ("She Got a Nosejob " , a Mad Magazine record !!!!). YES , I DO NEED TO GET OUT , TONIGHT.

Axel Björnsson said:
      are you talking about they have already cover it or you like to hear them cover it? (don't find it on youtube)
    • September 25, 2011 11:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i loves GG - was really surprised by how much i liked the music - leave out the blood and shit montage and listen to the Murder Junkies music - it's great. and GG himself - his lyrics are pure pain but he was a wordsmith for sure...
    • September 23, 2011 5:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Allin was influenced by Hank Williams, as well as the Stones, the New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, The Stooges, etc. I wonder what he could do with a Smiths song (and I'm a Smiths and occaisional GG fan)?

John Battles said:

Axel , It sounds like they mean they would like to hear The Ravonettes cover it...."Die When You Die" actually IS a cover song , of sorts. It's taken directly from "You're Gonna Die" by Destroy All Monsters. He changed it a bit ,  of course , the words are his. He did the same thing with "Scumfuc Tradition" ("Family Tradition" by Hank Williams , Jr.) , "Outlaw Scumfuc" ("Longhaired Redneck by David Allan Coe.) and even "Blow Jobs" ("She Got a Nosejob " , a Mad Magazine record !!!!). YES , I DO NEED TO GET OUT , TONIGHT.

Axel Björnsson said:
      are you talking about they have already cover it or you like to hear them cover it? (don't find it on youtube)
    • September 23, 2011 4:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Axel Björnsson said:
    • September 23, 2011 4:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I'd love to hear them cover it.

Axel Björnsson said:
    • September 23, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey , Mike. You might be thinking of "Hated in The Nation" , which was a ROIR cassette comp of various studio recordings , inc. the ones with Wayne Kramer and Dennis Thompson - or some of 'em - and the very Bubblegum Punk of "Gimme Some Head"  which I thought WAS the guys from The MC5 , but I guess was J. Mascis on Kramer-ish guitar - all spliced together with aggravated stage banter from the "Legendary" Twilite Room , Dallas 1985 show ( Which I was at.). It was later released on vinyl , and probably CD.

Retraction : Maybe you mean one of a few reissues of his first album , "Always is , Always Was , and Always Shall Be". I had a chance to buy it once , when Allin was virtually unknown beyond The East Coast. It is , as others , here , noted , truly innocent compared to what he put out in later years. I thought he LOOKED too innocent to be this monster I'd read a little bit about in Trouser Press....Little did I know...that , and the fact I could probably ask three figures for it , today , if I had bought it , then.

Mike said:

Only saw GG once. Way late. Maybe early to mid 90's up in San Francisco. I wasn't impressed. Just watched him do his poo thing and chase people around the club. Musically, it was boring and pretty generic sounding. With that said, I do like the two singles I have - 'Gimme Some Head' & 'No Rules' which it seems alot of people I know don't like. There was a CD that came out around '99/2000 that had most of his early stuff on it. i really liked it but can't find it now. Anyone know what it was called?
    • September 23, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 23, 2011 3:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

"Die When You Die" is a good song, but I'd to hear The Raveonettes cover it with more menace and at a slower tempo. "Expose Yourself To Kids" is pure gonzo comedy at its most fuckwitted.

Axel Björnsson said:
      I love "Die When You Die"

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel