Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: New Model Army

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 24, 2011 9:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there!

I was wondering what you guys think about New Model Army. I loved them when I was a teenager, and I still love them today, and I think Justin Sullivan has one of the best voices in rock music. But I can also see why they are called the U2 of indie rock.

So I'm curious, what do you think?

Cheers, Doc Sanchez

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• October 11, 2012 7:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I really like New Model Army. I only started listening to them about 10 years ago after they made a rare visit to Atlanta and their show blew me away. Their most recent album, Today is a Good Day (2009) is their best since The love of hopeless causes (1993). Yes, I can see why anyone can think their sound is very "dated" because the lyrics are very earnest and political, but I guess I need a little of that from time, especially during election season. "Turn out the lights on the age of reason!"
    • October 10, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I never thought much of them , but , I realize that probably puts me in a minority. I think Kopper has a point , though he left it here about a year ago. A friend who tried to get me going on them was also a Quaker , coincidentally. She did'nt mention the guy from NMA being one.

PAUL REVERE IS  A MENNONITE (NOT THE SAME THING.) AND WAS A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR BEFORE THE VIETNAM WAR BROKE OUT. I'D MUCH RATHER LISTEN TO THE RAIDERS , THO' AN OLDER FRIEND OF JAMES PORTER AND MYSELF TOLD HIM THEY'RE "GARBAGE" . HA HA HA.

• October 10, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Doc,

I still dig New Model Army, and listen to them on occasion, although I only own The Ghost of Cain and Thunder & Consolation...thunder bein my fave-

Robt

• October 9, 2012 11:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i must of seen 'em 'bout 7 or 8 times in the mid 80's,at the time i thought they was ruling.nowadays it sounds to me to be very much of that era and i rarely revisit their back cataloge these days except of course for the 1st album which is obviously still killer.

• January 25, 2011 2:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Smiths are cool. NMA (sic) aren't, never have been, never will be.

Mr. Neg

South London

Doc Sanchez said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking NMA. If you want to check them out I'd also say to go for their old stuff. I stopped listening to them in '94, and even that's pretty late , and the albums after '94 pretty much sucked. And it's definitely true, they sound really dated from today's point of view.

I always liked their folky tunes more than their "rock" songs, and my favourite album is "Thunder & Consolation", but that's probably because that's the first album I knew by them, and it did console me as a teenie... And besides, their folk songs really don't sound that dated.

Still, when NMA were cool (in the 80's), they rocked, even though I hardly listen to them anymore.

Cheers, Doc

P.S.: And how do you like The Smiths, by the way?

• January 25, 2011 11:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not liking NMA. If you want to check them out I'd also say to go for their old stuff. I stopped listening to them in '94, and even that's pretty late , and the albums after '94 pretty much sucked. And it's definitely true, they sound really dated from today's point of view.

I always liked their folky tunes more than their "rock" songs, and my favourite album is "Thunder & Consolation", but that's probably because that's the first album I knew by them, and it did console me as a teenie... And besides, their folk songs really don't sound that dated.

Still, when NMA were cool (in the 80's), they rocked, even though I hardly listen to them anymore.

Cheers, Doc

P.S.: And how do you like The Smiths, by the way?

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• January 25, 2011 8:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nothing wrong with being "a bit neg," Muck. Most music falls into that gray area of not being either "great" or "terrible," and NMA is definitely one of those. I listened to them for a while back in the mid '80s, esp. the first record, but that's only because we had it at the radio station I DJed at back then. At the time there were comparisons floating around to the Clash more than U2 (ugh). But I couldn't get into their other records at all. And now when I hear them, well, let's just say their music has not aged well. There are SO many more deserving bands to discuss... I'd suggest getting back to those. :)

Lord Muck!! said:
      I just downloaded some of their stuff and it confirmed to me what I've long known - that I don't like 'em... sorry if that's a bit neg

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 25, 2011 7:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just downloaded some of their stuff and it confirmed to me what I've long known - that I don't like 'em... sorry if that's a bit neg
    • January 24, 2011 4:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey Doc. I saw them a few times in their early days (mid-Eighties). They were a very refreshing take on punk with a lead singer/guitarist who wasn't afraid to express his Quaker beliefs, an incredible bass player who had been listening to JJ Burnell, but pushed it right out front and a rock steady drummer back there keeping perfect time. They had a lot of positive energy but...by the time they released their second album (Vengence) it was all over for me. Their first mini-album - every tune a classic (Small Town England, Sex, Falklands Spirit...). If they're still out there and still doing it I say good for them and if you're into it that's cool, but not my cup of tea.
    • January 24, 2011 10:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I saw them 3 times supporting other bands in the mid-eighties never heard anything about them since although posters for shows appear on slum walls every 2 or 3 years. One of those bands with one great song (Vengeance) but you cant remember anything else :)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel