Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Best way to meet band members?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 23, 2011 12:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I need to get in a band, bands are a lot of work so you need to find the right guys. I'm willing to try different ways as long as they dont cost money. Going out to bars for a week looking for people wastes to much $. I find its tough to find people who share common interest in music and ideas for this.
    • February 2, 2011 10:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Teddy, I aint a musician, Im just a hack with a guitar. All the talk about looks is getting over-amplified here. Some of the ideas though like trying to get people to change the way they dress or talking to everybody sounded retarded. I just wanted to know if maybe there was some sites I could post some adds on. Basically I just need another amateur guitar player with similar interests as me who would be available to practice some songs, and its proven to be way harder to find than I would have ever thought. My "bad attitude" doesn't plan on changing anytime soon so I'll always think most people are knobs, and do things my own way. 

I dont know about you but I like music that gets me excited and as a matter of fact I like it so much that I even prefer people who remind me of a music. I've told people right to there face that were actual musicians that No sorry I dont wanna jam with you, you wear a baseball hat/or No you look like my dad, or an insurance salesman, or walk like you hide gerbals in your ass, so Im upfront about it. I don't give a shit if they like that or not. 

Because Im not a good musician Im not concerned with musical talent but more with people who share interest in playing similar stuff. I dont beleive you have to be a top-notch musician to make the bands I like. You just need to be playing often, and you'll get good at your songs. 

Teddy Jungle King said:

I don't know if you can, but that would be better to leave it there anyway, if someone else has the same questions then he can find it with a quick search on the website.

There has been quite a lot of talking about the looks, I think I'll give you my opinion on that matter: Sure you want your band to look cool, and the way people dress themselves in a rock context is often linked to the music they listen to. But in my experience I found that most of the time the one with the coolest looks were the shittiest musicians, the one that just wanted to be in a band to be even cooler. It's hard to find someone that will fill your expectations on both esthetics and music. But if you choose the cool looking guys without talent or real will to make good music, you'll never be anything more than the cool local band that girls come to see. That being said, you can always decide of the image of the band when the line up is completed, I don't think that the Hives were wearing matching suits when they met, just sayin'...

Duke Of Earl said:

How do you delete this dicussion? Im done with it. Thanks to all 3 of you for your time.

• February 2, 2011 7:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know if you can, but that would be better to leave it there anyway, if someone else has the same questions then he can find it with a quick search on the website.

There has been quite a lot of talking about the looks, I think I'll give you my opinion on that matter: Sure you want your band to look cool, and the way people dress themselves in a rock context is often linked to the music they listen to. But in my experience I found that most of the time the one with the coolest looks were the shittiest musicians, the one that just wanted to be in a band to be even cooler. It's hard to find someone that will fill your expectations on both esthetics and music. But if you choose the cool looking guys without talent or real will to make good music, you'll never be anything more than the cool local band that girls come to see. That being said, you can always decide of the image of the band when the line up is completed, I don't think that the Hives were wearing matching suits when they met, just sayin'...

Duke Of Earl said:

How do you delete this dicussion? Im done with it. Thanks to all 3 of you for your time.

• February 2, 2011 6:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the way you look or do things can express things just like a song can.

John Carlucci said:

I've been in a million bands. The best way to get in a band is to get out there & meet people. Go see as many bands as you can, chances are you will come across a guitar player here, a drummer there, that are not happy in their current situation. If you see someone that you think is cool, talk to them, get the word out there. Ads are okay, but the chances of meeting someone with an ad is almost like winning the lottery. If you get out there & start playing, and you are any good, people will notice you & they will approach you.

While it's good to have a certain look & an image in mind. Don't fall into that trap. Are you a musician or a fashion model? If you rely on looks, you will have a short career in the music business. Looks fade with age. Rely on your love of music & develop your talent & you will meet like minded people.

• February 2, 2011 6:28 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I allready said thanks to ya honey. Dont worry about me too much. Im gonna take it to the top you'll see. Just checkin to see if maybe there was some ideas I might have mised. I think maybe I just ain't too much of a people person. The # of bands somebodies been in means nothing to me as a bragging right. That speaks nothing of the quality of band. I've been in 2 shitty ones. Those were easy to form. Id like to avoid being in a 3rd and find the "right guys" first. How do you delete this dicussion? Im done with it. Thanks to all 3 of you for your time.

Michele Ari said:

"It appears Im getting bad advice here. I allready know what to do now"

That is quite an interesting response to the people who took the time to try to help you. My advice might or might not  be bad, but I always have a band, make records, sell them, tour and get world-wide positive press and I take time out of my VERY busy day to help another if they want help as I did with you. I can't know nothing at all or have no idea what I am doing. And the others who posted gave good advice too and were nice enough to give it.

You don't have to like my advice or use it. To say its "bad" after I clearly took a lot of time to try to be helpful is a bit over the top and downright rude. If you already know what to do then don't ask for help. It seems the biggest problem you have is your bad attitude and narrow mind. That will get you nowhere . And its not likely to help you get support from people who do know what they are doing.

Over and out.   

Duke Of Earl said:

I want my band to look cool,and like to relate to my friends a bit. I dont like talking to every single person, cus I dont like most of em anyways. If you look like a trendy fag, you probably like shit bands and are in a dork-trap. About concert going, Thats tough because I dont like most of the new bands enough to pay a dollar on them.

It appears Im getting bad advice here. I allready know what to do now. The answer is not to play with dorks or talk to as many people as I can. I'll get an acoustic and make songs or cover them and then I'll go out with it until I meet people for an electrified band.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel