Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: So who's got to hang out with a fave band, and what was your exp

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2011 1:25 PM CST
    • Untitled

The best night of my life came back in 2008 when I went to Arlington, VA to see the Fleshtones play at the Iota Club.  Being that I have loved these guys since I was a teen, it was a no-brainer that I along with my co-host of "Whiskey 'N' Waterbeds" at the time, would make it a road trip!  At the club, I hung out with Ken Fox beforehand and talked music, then I was able to speak briefly with Bill Milhizer and Keith Streng!  I thought that was awesome enough!  When they took the stage, it of course was amazing, especially since I had never gotten to see them live before!  What was even more amazing, was Peter Zaremba and Keith Streng pulled me onstage to pluck away on Keith's guitar during an instrumental!  I don't play guitar, but Peter convinced me that all I had to do was strum during this instrumental they were performing....I nearly fainted!  After the show, I got to hang out with Peter Zaremba and talk casually like we were old friends, plus get a cd autographed, get my pic taken with the guys (except Keith, he vanished), and walk away with their Sharpie scrawled set list that Peter used!  Second, I would have to go with the only time I had gotten to see Southern Culture On the Skids at a bar and grill here in town...Both Mary Huff and Dave Hartman are from here (Roanoke, VA), and you would think they would play here more, but they don't...Before the show, I was able to talk briefly with Dave, and afterwards, he autographed (along with Rick Miller) a cd I bought at the show.  Then I went to get Mary's autograph, and the sweetheart she is, invited me to sit with her in the booth she was lounging in...I had e-mailed them previously about remembering when Mary was in a local punk band and they did a commercial for a local indie record shop called "Penguin Tracks", and we had a good laugh, plus talked a little about the punk scene, got her autograph, and a kiss on the cheek (!)...  Lastly would have to be hanging out with Jeff Clayton of ANTiSEEN.  When I was still on "Whiskey 'N' Waterbeds", we landed an interview with him, and got in his good graces when the local music reporter from the newspaper did a shitty job with his Q & A...I brought him some moonshine, got his autograph (along with the band on a cd), and his address (so I could send him some burned cd's of some stuff he was interested in hearing)...Not long after, took on a roadtrip to Charlotte, NC to the Milestone Club to see a show, and he happened to be there.  Well, I had brought along some Grade A apple pie moonshine, so me, my former co-host, Jeff, and Jeff Williams of Charlotte based hardcore band "The Dead Kings" went out to the car and drank that whole jar of 'shine together!  Nice memories, indeed!  So what's yours?
    • February 7, 2011 6:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

wow, what a story.  Love Otto's.  It's a total time warp.  Usually has great music.  And one of the last of the real LES bars left.

The Black Saxons said:
      Kind of a different experience than hanging out with your favorite band but we played Otto's Shrunken Head on Fri. and we were the last of three bands so we did an extended set.  Near the end this guy comes up and asks if he can play something with us, so we just made up a bluesy type of song on the spot and freestyled some lyrics, people were dancing, it was a real cool time.  Anyway after the gig the drummer comes up and tells me, "Hey that was Frank Infante".  So, I thought that was pretty gnarly.  We talked with him out on the street for awhile and he was really cool.  The End.
    • February 4, 2011 7:16 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah !couldn't buy one there, i was saving my money for whisky !

I aslo met Eddie Mad3 there, who is a really sweet candy !

joey fuckup said:

What a fuckin' evening!  Bet you wish you had a video camera at the time!

Pat said:

I'm a big fan of Guitar Wolf,

While i was on tour in japan, we went to see Guitar Wolf backstage before their show in tokyo on the first night there, we meet the Foo Fighters guys in the audience and make fun of Dave Grohl.

Days after that we went to restaurant with Seiji and the manager after  an other Guitar wolf show  ! nice chat about a french version of "Jet boy jet girl" and the manager went out completly drunk !

• February 3, 2011 11:08 AM CST
    • Untitled

What a fuckin' evening!  Bet you wish you had a video camera at the time!

Pat said:

While i was on tour in japan, we went to see Guitar Wolf backstage before their show in tokyo on the first night there, we meet the Foo Fighters guys in the audience and make fun of Dave Grohl.

Days after that we went to restaurant with Seiji and the manager after  an other Guitar wolf show  ! nice chat about a french version of "Jet boy jet girl" and the manager went out completly drunk !

• February 3, 2011 5:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• February 2, 2011 6:31 PM CST
    • Untitled

Very cool!  Did you tell them to use more cowbell?  Sorry, but that seems to be heard everywhere now!  So did you see them at a club?  Honestly, I didn't even know they were still around...Well at least you did get to meet somebody!

Heather Drain said:
      All of you have far cooler experiences than mine. (The Fleshtones AND Gun Club. Swoon.) My big encounter lasted all of a minute when I got to meet Blue Oyster Cult. This was the more recent line up with Buck Dharma, Eric Bloom and Rudy Sarzo on bass. They were all pretty nice though as soon as I walked up I think I heard Eric say something like "Whoah tall girl!." Granted I'm around 5'9 and was probably the tallest person in the area. Are all rock & rollers hobbits or am I just some Amazonian R. Crumb girl? News at 11!
    • February 2, 2011 6:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All of you have far cooler experiences than mine. (The Fleshtones AND Gun Club. Swoon.) My big encounter lasted all of a minute when I got to meet Blue Oyster Cult. This was the more recent line up with Buck Dharma, Eric Bloom and Rudy Sarzo on bass. They were all pretty nice though as soon as I walked up I think I heard Eric say something like "Whoah tall girl!." Granted I'm around 5'9 and was probably the tallest person in the area. Are all rock & rollers hobbits or am I just some Amazonian R. Crumb girl? News at 11!
    • January 30, 2011 8:23 PM CST
    • Untitled

Hey, that's pretty cool!

The Black Saxons said:
      Kind of a different experience than hanging out with your favorite band but we played Otto's Shrunken Head on Fri. and we were the last of three bands so we did an extended set.  Near the end this guy comes up and asks if he can play something with us, so we just made up a bluesy type of song on the spot and freestyled some lyrics, people were dancing, it was a real cool time.  Anyway after the gig the drummer comes up and tells me, "Hey that was Frank Infante".  So, I thought that was pretty gnarly.  We talked with him out on the street for awhile and he was really cool.  The End.
    • January 30, 2011 8:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 27, 2011 11:34 AM CST
    • Untitled

A private Woggles show...damn, I know that was something you will never forget!  Oh, yeah, and I dug Coast To Coast AM too!

Max Reverb said:
      That reminds me of another time I saw the Woggles in portsmouth @ the Elvis room. All the Woggles were really cool guys to hang out with and friendly to talk too. at this particular show it was a weird night like a sunday and me and a couple friends had seen them play a great show in Maine the night before and they said if we weren't doing anything we should come to NH the next day and they would put us all on the list. Fuck yeah we went, and it was a good thing we did because there was maybe 2 or 3 other people there. Basically we had our own private Woggles show and they still gave it everything they had and we danced our asses off and they played every song we called out for. So we hung out with em all night and I took them to BullMoose Music, which is a great huge shop with lots of vinyl up the street. I remember Montague secretly buying an old Metallica tape which he confided to me that he was going to use to torture the other guys. I remember I had just found out about Coast to Coast with Art Bell and Montague was obsessed with it so we talked about that at length. Back in those days he carried these sheets with him that had every radio station in every state so he could listen every night on tour in the van. He was a great guitar player and great guy and he is missed.
      The stories about walking in on people reminded me of a story they told me that night. They had stopped at a truck stop on tour so that they could take showers. There was a truckstop woman that apparently took a liking to one of the Woggles, if memory serves it was Dan Electro, and she hopped in the truck stop shower with him in an effort of seduction, and it took some persuading from him to get her to leave! Ah the hazards of the road!

i'd love to hear the stories about the mummies.

Erin - thats so cool you got to hang out with Jeff from the Dead Boys!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Which reminds me....I accidently walked in on him when he was changing in the band room of one place they were playing and he had only a shirt on.  Luckily his back was turned to me so I was able to back out of the room before he noticed I was there.
    • January 27, 2011 11:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That reminds me of another time I saw the Woggles in portsmouth @ the Elvis room. All the Woggles were really cool guys to hang out with and friendly to talk too. at this particular show it was a weird night like a sunday and me and a couple friends had seen them play a great show in Maine the night before and they said if we weren't doing anything we should come to NH the next day and they would put us all on the list. Fuck yeah we went, and it was a good thing we did because there was maybe 2 or 3 other people there. Basically we had our own private Woggles show and they still gave it everything they had and we danced our asses off and they played every song we called out for. So we hung out with em all night and I took them to BullMoose Music, which is a great huge shop with lots of vinyl up the street. I remember Montague secretly buying an old Metallica tape which he confided to me that he was going to use to torture the other guys. I remember I had just found out about Coast to Coast with Art Bell and Montague was obsessed with it so we talked about that at length. Back in those days he carried these sheets with him that had every radio station in every state so he could listen every night on tour in the van. He was a great guitar player and great guy and he is missed. The stories about walking in on people reminded me of a story they told me that night. They had stopped at a truck stop on tour so that they could take showers. There was a truckstop woman that apparently took a liking to one of the Woggles, if memory serves it was Dan Electro, and she hopped in the truck stop shower with him in an effort of seduction, and it took some persuading from him to get her to leave! Ah the hazards of the road! i'd love to hear the stories about the mummies. Erin - thats so cool you got to hang out with Jeff from the Dead Boys!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Which reminds me....I accidently walked in on him when he was changing in the band room of one place they were playing and he had only a shirt on.  Luckily his back was turned to me so I was able to back out of the room before he noticed I was there.
    • January 26, 2011 10:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 26, 2011 10:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Manfred's one of the coolest guys I've ever met and am really honored to be his friend.  That was really awesome of him to do that.

Max Reverb said:
      I could probably go on all day with this one but the most appropriate story that comes to mind is when The Woggles came and played with the Brood (Maine Garage legends in their own right) in Portland. This was about 11 years ago and I was underage for the bar. I had seen the woggles rip it up previously at an all ages with SCOTS so I had emailed them and said it was a bummer i couldn't get in to the next show. I will never forget this and always love the Woggles for it. The Professor emailed me back and told me to meet him around the corner from the club and he'd get me in! And he did too, totally came through, met me around the corner and told the door guy i was his little brother! Way above and beyond the call of duty, and it was an epic show.
    • January 26, 2011 9:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

you are correct, jesco definitely likes to party ; )

joey fuckup said:
      Oh wow, staying at Jeff's place!  That's awesome!  I would really like to knock a few beers back with 'ole Jesco; I bought the "Wild & Wonderful Whites" dvd, really enjoyed it, and felt like he was just a good country guy that likes to party!  Did you see the pre-party vids for the film's release with Johnny Knoxville on You Tube?  Would've been a blast!

erin said:

one time i accidentally walked in on paul collins (the nerves/paul collins beat) changing into his pajama pants. boy was i red in the face.

i stayed at jeff magnum of the dead boys house. he put us up in his basement/rock'n'roll bunker, which was filled with his record collection and dead boys memorabilia (photos, original tour posters with the dead boys and damned, etc). he was a very gracious host! he has been a guest on my radio show several times.

i hung out in a basement with jesco white the dancing outlaw. jesco lifted up his shirt and showed me his tattoos (specifically elvis/manson on his back). then he squeezed his nipple and sang songs at me. he's something else.

• January 26, 2011 7:30 PM CST
    • Untitled

Shit!  That's awesome!!

Max Reverb said:
      I could probably go on all day with this one but the most appropriate story that comes to mind is when The Woggles came and played with the Brood (Maine Garage legends in their own right) in Portland. This was about 11 years ago and I was underage for the bar. I had seen the woggles rip it up previously at an all ages with SCOTS so I had emailed them and said it was a bummer i couldn't get in to the next show. I will never forget this and always love the Woggles for it. The Professor emailed me back and told me to meet him around the corner from the club and he'd get me in! And he did too, totally came through, met me around the corner and told the door guy i was his little brother! Way above and beyond the call of duty, and it was an epic show.
    • January 26, 2011 7:29 PM CST
    • Untitled

Too bad you couldn't have taped all that!

Dana V. Hatch said:
      Hard to pick just one but what about the Demolition Doll Rods? All three were totally nude when I met them backstage at Brownie's in NYC. One time a clubowner caught Danny naked in the ladies' room and cancelled the show on the spot. The cops were called and someone (me) launched and M-100 at 'em. Once in Boston a drunk jock was making google eyes at Danny onstage until he found out Danny was a dude then he got hostile. Danny turned around and stuck his ass in the guy's face and spread. The audience went wild and the jock stormed out in a fit of homosexual panic. Once the Slicks were on tour and Margaret gave us rolls of admission tickets in four different colors so we never ran out of drink tickets at clubs. Margaret and Christine used to do yoga in our front yard when they'd stay over, attracting a lot of gawkers (ok, maybe just one).
    • January 26, 2011 7:27 PM CST
    • Untitled

Oh wow, staying at Jeff's place!  That's awesome!  I would really like to knock a few beers back with 'ole Jesco; I bought the "Wild & Wonderful Whites" dvd, really enjoyed it, and felt like he was just a good country guy that likes to party!  Did you see the pre-party vids for the film's release with Johnny Knoxville on You Tube?  Would've been a blast!

erin said:

one time i accidentally walked in on paul collins (the nerves/paul collins beat) changing into his pajama pants. boy was i red in the face.

i stayed at jeff magnum of the dead boys house. he put us up in his basement/rock'n'roll bunker, which was filled with his record collection and dead boys memorabilia (photos, original tour posters with the dead boys and damned, etc). he was a very gracious host! he has been a guest on my radio show several times.

i hung out in a basement with jesco white the dancing outlaw. jesco lifted up his shirt and showed me his tattoos (specifically elvis/manson on his back). then he squeezed his nipple and sang songs at me. he's something else.

• January 26, 2011 6:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ha! after the sac show, was it??? yeah, i remember everyone just came here and went to sleep ; ) long live hotel hot trash!

Max Reverb said:

I think i might have had a pajama party with you ha! But the other dudes were too tired to let me play pinball!

erin said:
      i have pajama parties with bands all the time. favorite moments: tabman from holy shit! wearing one of my dresses and jumping on my bed, marcus from uv race playing pinball in his underwear (pulled up to his chest), have a rootbeer float party with the daily void and dots from italy, making scott from the blowtops do fart situps with a self-inflating whoopee cushion, benji from the creteens appearing in my bedroom doorway at 5am screaming, "WHERE THE HELL AM I?!?!" and on and on...
    • January 26, 2011 4:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

In 1981 I met Stiff Little Fingers for the first time. Being so influenced by The Clash, SLF always come out of the dressing room after a gig and hang out with fans for beers, chat, signing stuff and whatever. They were very nice, very cool and tolerant guys, and have been each time I have met them since.

Met Nick Cave last year when he was on a reading/speaking tour promoting his book. I asked him a question and he took the piss out of my Hawaiin shirt. The guy moderating pointed to me to ask my question and while I'm doing it Cave slowly fishes in his pocket and pulls out a pair of wrap arounds and sticks them on without saying anything, just a little smile. Before he answers he says: "Cool shirt, man." Afterwards while I'm in line to get the book signed he spots me and says: "Ah the man with the shirt!" I could only weakly say "Thanks" when he signed the book...then walk off feeling seven feet tall.

When I was a hack on the local paper I interviewed Rat Scabies and as the interview unfolded he got to know I was a big Damned fan, so at the end he says: "I'll put you on the guest list, come back stage after for a beer." I had already bought a ticket and I have to admit I didn't want to find out that guys whose music I had loved since I was a teen were assholes. So I didn't go back...They might have been great guys but I didn't want to risk it! They were supported on that tour by The Fuzztones.. What a show!!!

• January 26, 2011 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 26, 2011 3:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think i might have had a pajama party with you ha! But the other dudes were too tired to let me play pinball!

erin said:
      i have pajama parties with bands all the time. favorite moments: tabman from holy shit! wearing one of my dresses and jumping on my bed, marcus from uv race playing pinball in his underwear (pulled up to his chest), have a rootbeer float party with the daily void and dots from italy, making scott from the blowtops do fart situps with a self-inflating whoopee cushion, benji from the creteens appearing in my bedroom doorway at 5am screaming, "WHERE THE HELL AM I?!?!" and on and on...
    • January 26, 2011 12:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 26, 2011 12:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hard to pick just one but what about the Demolition Doll Rods? All three were totally nude when I met them backstage at Brownie's in NYC. One time a clubowner caught Danny naked in the ladies' room and cancelled the show on the spot. The cops were called and someone (me) launched and M-100 at 'em. Once in Boston a drunk jock was making google eyes at Danny onstage until he found out Danny was a dude then he got hostile. Danny turned around and stuck his ass in the guy's face and spread. The audience went wild and the jock stormed out in a fit of homosexual panic. Once the Slicks were on tour and Margaret gave us rolls of admission tickets in four different colors so we never ran out of drink tickets at clubs. Margaret and Christine used to do yoga in our front yard when they'd stay over, attracting a lot of gawkers (ok, maybe just one).
    • January 22, 2011 8:58 AM CST
    • Untitled

What a cool story, other than you getting blamed for stealing!  I have drank with Jeff Clayton of ANTiSEEN, but no beers with the Buzzcocks!  What an awesome memory!

Koko Loko said:
      I got to meet the Buzzcocks. I was the photographer (and maybe a little bit more) for their opening band one year, and I got to steal a couple beers from their cooler when I was only sixteen. Then when We all later went to the after party on a rooftop in LA, I asked Steve Diggle for a cigarette and I was so drunk somehow everyone was blaming me for stealing his cigarettes after that....
    • January 22, 2011 6:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got to meet the Buzzcocks. I was the photographer (and maybe a little bit more) for their opening band one year, and I got to steal a couple beers from their cooler when I was only sixteen. Then when We all later went to the after party on a rooftop in LA, I asked Steve Diggle for a cigarette and I was so drunk somehow everyone was blaming me for stealing his cigarettes after that....

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel