Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: So who's got to hang out with a fave band, and what was your exp

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 21, 2011 11:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They didn't offer that.  Maybe it's because our BBQ sauce in Seattle is generic and comes from the midwest.

joey fuckup said:
      Would love to meet the Mummies and the Woggles!  Did you let the Woggles baptize you in bbq sauce like they would at Sleazefast?

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I've made friends with a lot of the early 90s bands like the Mummies and Makers, And Woggles but I thought it was cool meeting the Romantics a few years back.  A lot of musicians toured together promoting Camel Cigarettes, but it was people like Wayne Kramer, Peter Zaremba, and Pat Dinizio from the Smithereens and the show was free and everything was laid back so talking to these people was really easy as there was no security people and what not.  That was in 1996 or 97.
    • January 21, 2011 10:37 PM CST
    • Untitled

Would love to meet the Mummies and the Woggles!  Did you let the Woggles baptize you in bbq sauce like they would at Sleazefast?

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I've made friends with a lot of the early 90s bands like the Mummies and Makers, And Woggles but I thought it was cool meeting the Romantics a few years back.  A lot of musicians toured together promoting Camel Cigarettes, but it was people like Wayne Kramer, Peter Zaremba, and Pat Dinizio from the Smithereens and the show was free and everything was laid back so talking to these people was really easy as there was no security people and what not.  That was in 1996 or 97.
    • January 21, 2011 5:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 13, 2011 5:22 PM CST
    • Untitled

Wow Dave!  That's awesome!  Can't imagine meeting Link!  And he probably still put on one hell of a show!  Very cool!

DammitDave said:

I got to meet Link Wray in 1996 (97?) when he played in Champaign, Il.  I was friends with the opening band (The Bottletones) and got to meet him before the show.  He was the nicest guy ever and had some great stories about "The Killer" and writing Run Chicken Run (too naughty to tell here).  He also told about being on a tour with some teen heartthrob in the 50s that went through Kentucky.  There were tons of teenage girls there with their fathers and the fathers were there with their shotguns to protect the daughters' virtue!

• January 13, 2011 1:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got to meet Link Wray in 1996 (97?) when he played in Champaign, Il.  I was friends with the opening band (The Bottletones) and got to meet him before the show.  He was the nicest guy ever and had some great stories about "The Killer" and writing Run Chicken Run (too naughty to tell here).  He also told about being on a tour with some teen heartthrob in the 50s that went through Kentucky.  There were tons of teenage girls there with their fathers and the fathers were there with their shotguns to protect the daughters' virtue!

• January 13, 2011 11:24 AM CST
    • Untitled

That's great that it was a pleasant experience!  My fear has always been to meet a band/musician that I really liked, but they turned out to be major douchebags...I have met some that were arrogant or just asses (I won't name them), but that's just life, I guess...Back when I was on "Whiskey 'N' Waterbeds", I came away from a couple of experiences where I was like "Fuck this"!  I keep in mind "Love the art, not the person"...

Doc Sanchez said:

With my former band Filthy Cowboy Sunset we once opened for DM Bob and Jem Finer (of Pogues fame - a band that meant pretty much to me back then) with Bob's girlfriend Silke from the Watzloves, and hanging out with them was one of the least rock'n'roll things ever - but pretty great! We played on a weekday, and my band was tired from work, and they were tired from travelling, so we hung out in the backstage room and must have been a sight to see: Bob and Jem were playing chess, Silke was reading copied texts about Dadaism, our violinist was reading something else, our pianist and our drummer were sleeping, and me and our singer were just sitting there eating, amused about the scenery.

The three of them were really nice people, polite, cool, nice, funny and modest - and so much fun on stage (which you wouldn't have thought seeing them playing chess like some elderly gentlemen on the porch)!

So - hanging out with fave musicians for me was like watching TV with friends: a relaxing, funny thing, somehow without much rock'n'roll, but still a fine experience.

• January 13, 2011 4:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

With my former band Filthy Cowboy Sunset we once opened for DM Bob and Jem Finer (of Pogues fame - a band that meant pretty much to me back then) with Bob's girlfriend Silke from the Watzloves, and hanging out with them was one of the least rock'n'roll things ever - but pretty great! We played on a weekday, and my band was tired from work, and they were tired from travelling, so we hung out in the backstage room and must have been a sight to see: Bob and Jem were playing chess, Silke was reading copied texts about Dadaism, our violinist was reading something else, our pianist and our drummer were sleeping, and me and our singer were just sitting there eating, amused about the scenery.

The three of them were really nice people, polite, cool, nice, funny and modest - and so much fun on stage (which you wouldn't have thought seeing them playing chess like some elderly gentlemen on the porch)!

So - hanging out with fave musicians for me was like watching TV with friends: a relaxing, funny thing, somehow without much rock'n'roll, but still a fine experience.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• January 11, 2011 5:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For me it would be the Gun Club back in '85. Met Patricia Morrison in the bar at the back of the venue and proceed to attempt to impress her with our (that would myself and The Boss from MOTH) knowledge of the late 70's LA punk scene, which she'd been a part of whilst in the Bags. Anyway she very kindly offered to put us on the guest list for a gig that weekend in Sheffield (not far from where we were based in Leeds). I still feel somewhat embarrassed looking back at how much we must have overstayed our welcome in the dressing room at that show. After barging in at the end of their set, they were clearly in no mood hob-nobbing with us (and several other hangers-on we'd brought with us) specially after we'd helped ourselves to their beer and sandwiches. However, Patricia was very tolerent and The late, great Jeffrey Lee Pierce managed a few grunts as I recall..and that's about it really. Not a very interesting story I'm afraid!

Oh! did meet the Ramones after a gig in '79 whilst I was still at school and got them to sign a record sleeeve, that I still have.

• January 10, 2011 3:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i have pajama parties with bands all the time. favorite moments: tabman from holy shit! wearing one of my dresses and jumping on my bed, marcus from uv race playing pinball in his underwear (pulled up to his chest), have a rootbeer float party with the daily void and dots from italy, making scott from the blowtops do fart situps with a self-inflating whoopee cushion, benji from the creteens appearing in my bedroom doorway at 5am screaming, "WHERE THE HELL AM I?!?!" and on and on...
    • January 9, 2011 6:33 PM CST
    • Untitled

Wow!  No, can't say I had a garage band play at my wedding!  Great memories indeed!  Another "brush with fame" moment I had was when I was in Norfolk, VA at the Taphouse for a show...Thee Apostles, the Rats, the Needles, and a couple of others were there, and I was there to do a "Whiskey 'N' Waterbeds" show there..Well, my co-host was waaay to fucked up, some equipment got stolen (including my fucking 80 gig ipod), but I was able to hang out with the Needles for beers...but I also hung out, drank with, and did shots with none other than Steve Baise formerly of the Devil Dogs!  He was at the time in the band the Villains, and he had contacted us about meeting up and maybe getting in on the interviews...I was like, "THE STEVE BAISE"?!?!?!?!  Well, since the taping of the show got flushed down the shitter, it was still cool to hang out with a legend like Steve, talk music, and drink like we were old college buddies (along with the Needles)...the guy was a class act!

grant fisher said:

For me having a long drink & chat with Graham Day backstage after a gig in Dublin. I had met him a couple of years before this but was starstruck and didn't know what to say to him so I just got a photo. So glad that when I did finally get the courage to chat to him,  he turned out to be really nice and interesting as well.

Also met and hung out with The Revellions in Spain when they were recording their first album. Really nice guys.

But the biggest stars in my eyes are The Keepers from Belfast, who became friends after I had booked them to play here on the Isle of Man and they even returned to play my wedding a couple of years later free of charge!

Anyone else on here had a garage band for their wedding? It certainly clears the place of all the old folks but gives you truely a day you never forget.

• January 9, 2011 2:34 PM CST
    • Untitled

No, they didn't, but when I did a podcast that night, I did!  Anyways, they did do "Theme From Vindicators" and Keith and Ken walked around on top of the bars, playing in unison, even walking around in the audience, while Bill played drums...It was so surreal!  I love that tune, and for them to just jump off the stage with their guitars and walk around and play...?!?!?!  THAT was SO amazing!!!
      sleazy said:
      Did the Fleshtones play Blowjob???!
    • January 9, 2011 2:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did the Fleshtones play Blowjob???!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel