Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What was THE record that got you hot for garage rock 'n' roll?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • February 13, 2014 2:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IT SOUNDED like you were saying that just seeing The Monkees on TV was an early motivation for you. It was for me , too. They made it look like being in a band was fun and adventuresome. But , anyone that's ever been in a band knows the adventures that come with it are'nt always fun.  I was seeing The Monkees on Saturday Morning TV (THE MONKEES were still together , just barely. ) , and I saw "Help!" around the same time (The Beatles were also still together , just barely.), and , of course , The Monkees were a revisionist version of The early Beatle films for the younger set.

I don't remember hearing The Stones , Raiders , or "Nuggets" hits on the radio in the Late 60's - Early 70's , though I must have. When I was 4-6 years old , maybe , The Beatles  were still saturating the airwaves.      That's cool that your Dad had such varied tastes in music , and turned you on to so many things at an early age. I learned about Slade , Bowie  and Alice Cooper in the early 70's from my oldest Brother. I REALLY THOUGHT SLADE WAS A BIG BAND (IN THE STATES.). BOWIE WAS ALL OVER THE ROCK MAGAZINES , BUT, EVEN THOUGH HE WAS FAMOUS , I don't remember hearing him on the radio at all until "Fame". They pitted him against Cooper in this Professional Wrestling - inspired "Shock Rock" or "Glitter Rock" grudge , when they were really good friends (Just like a lot of competing Wrestlers.).

• February 17, 2014 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I came from punk and early 80's HC-scene, after a while i was looking for wilder and sexier sounds and found The Cramps and Gun Club. Those two bands definitely kicked my first garage door wide open and i still hold them high. I knew the Cramps played obscure covers but at that point i didn´t really bother to check the originals out scince the Cramps were so GREAT already. Yeah, "Songs the lord thought us" is THE album that got me hot for garage Rock 'n' Roll.
      Swedish pioneers The Nomads, especially "Where the wolf bane blooms", and later on the brilliant "Back From the Grave" comps took me further on the path that led to The Sonics. From then on it was no turning back. "Here are the Sonics" and "Boom" are both simply "the best Garagerock album". The Sonics have the ultimate sound and on top of that they look soooo Bad Ass on that Boom-cover.

• February 17, 2014 4:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Yeah John, I feel lucky my dad had so many cool records when I was a kid. I also had an older cousin who was really into music. He was in a metal band at 16 when I was probably 11 and I thought he was the coolest guy ever. He gave me Metallica - Kill'em All on cassette and that really started me into metal at an early age. However, I was still listening to garage music at the same time. I didn't really ever stick to one genera of music. 

And as to what Cheese says, I too was very much into punk and hardcore before I got into garage in any serious way, as in record collecting way. The Cramps had a big impact on me learning about old garage rockabilly. The Sonics and the Wailers really blew me away when I first heard them. I spent so many years playing BOOM over and over, I thought I'd never wanna hear it again at one point. Me and friends from various local Indiana bands put together a Sonics/ Wailers cover band for house parties. That was many years ago and we never took it seriously cause we were all in real bands, but those were some fun sets to play.

The Sonics played here in Toronto 4 or 5 years ago. It was a free outdoor show. I HAD TO WORK. I think I was the only person in the city who did not go to this show. Very sad. 

• February 17, 2014 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Cramps had everything to do with me getting into Garage , Rockabilly and Instrumental Rock in the early 80's , tho' I already knew and enjoyed quite a bit of the obvious stuff. I bought the "Born Bad" comps , because , for boots ,they were nicely laid out....THE EARLIER " Songs We Taught THE CRAMPS" (0r vice - versa?) has better sound and artwork , but , it took me years to find a copy.

I'd heard some of The  songs The Cramps covered , like '' Surfin' Bird", "Psychotic Reaction" and "Muleskinner Blues" on "Oldies Radio " in the 80's and on life - changing compilations like "40 Funky Hits" in The 70'S , but , imagine my shock , hearing "Save It" by Mel Robbins on Oldies Radio , once , in the 90's ! It was about 10:00 pm , but , STILL ! I was shocked to hear how much wilder it was than The Cramps' version, as much as I love that....

As much as I love The Sonics , it's a pity so many people start and stop , there. I'm going to go see them in a little over a week. I aw them in October and they were INTENSE. Anyone that's too cool to give 'em a chance , now , can't be too cool.    I don't listen to The Nomads that much ,anymore , tho' I still like 'em. I first heard them in 1984 , and kept that name in mind, until I found their first LP , TWO YEARS LATER ,and bought it. I did'nt realize songs like "I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time" , "Don't Tread on Me"and "The Way (You Touch My Hand" ) were cover songs , too....But , I got caught up.

I saw The Nomads 3 times in the 90's. First two shows were great , third one was pretty awful , tho ' everyone else seemed to love it.

• February 17, 2014 4:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Matt , I just now saw your comment , was'nt ignoring it.....OH , NO !!!! well , the good news is , The Sonics are touring more , now , so , you may still get your chance. I hope so.....That sounds like fun , a Sonics /Wailers combo that plays house parties. I was especially lucky , I got to see The Wailers , once , too. i WAS FLOORED , THO' IN A DIFFERENT WAY THAN with the Sonics......It was the 50th  anniversary of "Louie , Louie", and my friend said , why are'nt they doing a big "Louie Fest" in Seattle with The Wailers , The Sonics , Mark Lindsay , The Kingsmen (Who were basically a bar band when I saw them in '86 , but I hear they have their ups and downs...), and , was Richard BERRY STILL ALIVE iN '06 ? I FORGET , sorry.....But , The Sonics had yet to reform . The Wailers' (And , later, The Sonics') Drummer told us they did do a show with The Kingsmen and Paul Revere , but there were no plans for a BIG show to honor the song that put Seattle on the map , and I don't mean "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

I could'nt imagine being tired of The Sonics , even when I meet people who waited 20 and even 30 years for them to become "Hip"before they'd actually listen to them. But , sure , Imight walk away for a while , though , every time I HEAR THOSE FIRST TWO LPs , NOT TO MENTION THE Vastly UNDERRATED Third LP , I think "THAT'S the band that raised the bar.", and they still ARE.

• February 18, 2014 2:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Work, what a bummer. Check them out if you ever get the chance again, Matt. I've been fortunate to see The Sonics a couple of times since the reunion and they are maintaining their cool, for sure. I also think the bass player from the Wailers is in there now, but i'm not too sure. Talkin' bout The Cramps, another mind-blowing original is Charlie Feathers truly breathtaking " I can't hardly stand it", how weird and wild ain't that piece? Just love it.
      Also forgot to mention that as a very young kid i was fed some of the early Stones, stuff like "I just wanna make love to you", so when I later started to dig in on 60's Punk/Garage, something was already tuned in.
      There is so much great stuff out there and I agree w.John that even though they're awesome, it is a pity so many people start and stop w the Sonics. Today I dig The Jim Jones Revue a lot, think they're very close to the truth.
      Joined this site the other day, great place!

• February 18, 2014 6:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cheese , You're close.....Freddie , the current Bass player/Singer with The Sonics  , was in a band called Freddie and The Screamers , with ex - Sonics Bassist , Andy Parypa , and he was also in The Kingsmen from 1972 - 84. I TALKED TO HIM FOR AWHILE , RECENTLY , HE DID'NT SAY ANTYTHING ABOUT BEING IN THE WAILERS, EVER. It's 's possible he may have filled in for Buck Ormsby on occasion....

• May 26, 2014 1:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.....The other thing , Cheese , Freddie sings in a key very similar  to The Late Kent Morril of The Wailers....crossed with Noddy Holder. He COULD HAVE sang with The Wailers , though , of course , without Kent , there is no Wailers.

Even people who don't like The Cramps (CRIME!) have told me they have them to thank for turning us all on to all these crazy records from previous eras.....I did'nt know too many of the covers they were doing when I first heard them , barring "Surfin' Bird"and "Lonesome Town"...."Green Door" , my Mom had recently met the guy who wrote it , when their version came out.   A little later, of course  , I knew "PSYCHOTIC REACTION", TOO.     There were so many songs that even The Cramps did'nt have the moxie to cover (Though , if anyone could have , they could have.) , like "I Want Some of That" by Kai Ray. But , even tho' they were protective of the songs they covered. Lux and Ivy publically called Robert Gordon out for doing "The Way I Walk" after they did it. Gordon protested that anyone could do it , and ,  besides ,The Ramones covered Surfin' Bird after The Cramps , to which , Lux replied "But , The Ramones ASKED  us if they could do it....".

Still , The Cramps realized these songs that they may have popularized , first , now belonged to the world. It's The Cramps , Cramps , Cramps' world , man, we just live in it.

• September 24, 2014 4:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I remember hearing Cinderella by the sonics while getting my hair done at the barbers.  Pretty much a life changing moment.

• September 24, 2014 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WOW !  I hope your hairdo did'nt get destroyed. To me , it's not so strange hearing The Sonics in TV commercials ,  which is how many people are now hearing them for the first time. Strange = Rockabilly chicks, line - dancing to "The Witch". I have seen this with my own two eyes. 

• September 25, 2014 4:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sadly I think I have witnessed the same thing. I like hearing their music and although I think it's a bit weird putting it to adverts I'm glad they are getting some money. What did wind me up is that car advert a while back that had a diabolical Cramps cover playing. Made my neck veins stick out.

My barber was in a garage band called Freak 4 and ended up giving me a whole lot of records. I was gonna drum for him in a surfy fuzz project that sadly never happened. He is great guy, I should go visit him.

• September 25, 2014 3:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , no kiddin' , you should go see him. My former Dentist , who was also my friend and neighbor , was into The Ramones , Clash ,  X , early Stones , stuff like that. I RAN INTO HIS Brother , yesterday , and , I was saying , WOW ! I was telling a friend about your Brother , yesterday. It was so cool to know ANYBODY in the community with a clue about music.

He did'nt play the Ramones during Dental sugery - HA HA....So , I still have most of my teeth.

Speaking of which , he and his Brotehr had a joke band called Shane McGowan's Lung.      John.

• September 30, 2014 12:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I was 12 years old I got a stereo for Christmas. It's one of those with the cd player, tape deck, & record player, you know the whole package. My dad gave me a box of 45s for the record player. In that box was, Question of Temperature by The Balloon Farm and a copy 96 tears by ? And The Mysterians. From the moment the needle hit the vinyl I was immediately hooked. I love 96 tears, but Question of Temperature definitely sealed the deal for me.
    • September 30, 2014 2:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Matt, sounds like the "Question" had a pivotal part in both records that broke RNR to you, nice going.
      Matt Brandt said:
      When I was 12 years old I got a stereo for Christmas. It's one of those with the cd player, tape deck, & record player, you know the whole package. My dad gave me a box of 45s for the record player. In that box was, Question of Temperature by The Balloon Farm and a copy 96 tears by ? And The Mysterians. From the moment the needle hit the vinyl I was immediately hooked. I love 96 tears, but Question of Temperature definitely sealed the deal for me.

Here for the stir

• September 30, 2014 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha I guess that's true I've never seen it that way before. it was definitely a life changing experience. Before I heard these records I was listening to alot of classic rock, 50s & 60s country, and oldies radio (primarily 1955-1962/3 pre beatles.) After I heard these two records I was on the hunt for a grittier sound, considering I'm a huge 50s RnR fan, I first found that grittier sound in rockabilly (especially, Love Me by The Phantom, when I first heard that I was blown away) so for a couple years rockabilly was all I needed. But about 2 years ago (I'm 18 btw, so this all happened in a 6 yr span) I found myself once again wanting that grittier sound, I remembered Question of Temperature, so I decided to explore the genre, I checked out the Nuggets series it was great. But than I checked out the pebbles series it was even better, but what really did it for me was the Back From The Grave series. I listened to all of those and I was in love haha. I don't know why I explained all this, maybe I just feel passionate about what music I listen to lol.
    • September 30, 2014 7:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I first picked up "Nuggets The Hits" in '85 , tho' I was aware of Pebbles and other comps , because it had all my favorite Garage Rock HITS THAT , BACK THEN ,YOU COULD STILL HEAR ON THE RADIO.  

But , some were songs I'd only heard OF , like "Are You A Boy or are You a Girl" (Could'nt believe how sloppy and raw that sounded , to still be an AM RADIO HIT.). I knew about Blue Cheer , but had never heard them until I got that comp. Blew my HEAD off !!! I knew they were considered the First Heavy Metal band , but I had no idea they could make so much Modern Metal , Punk , and , yes , Hardcore , sound lame.

I was hooked , after that. I think bands have been pretty good about acknowledging them , but , it took the Stoner Rock Movement to make people see the connection. Last time Blue Cheer played in Chicago was with three of four Stoner Rock bands. They were'nt even on top of the bill , but , they made an easy meal of all the other bands (In a friendly way. It helped that the audience was receptive to every band that night.).

But , The Balloon Farm , what a great single that is . Brownsville Station did a great Metallic Version of "A Question of Temperature", and , of course , Lords of The New Church did a good version , too (Stiv always sounded like the guy from The Balloon Frm to me !).

• September 30, 2014 8:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I picked up a DMZ '45 20 some odd years ago.  It was a reissue...I forget now.  They were the band that did it for me.

Mark

www.fifty-fourfortyorfightradio.com

• October 1, 2014 12:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles, about how Blue Cheer can make a modern metal, punk, and hardcore band sound lame, that's dead on man. The first thing I heard by Blue Cheer was Summertime Blues (the original by Cochran is one of my favorites, and whenever I see a cover of any of my favorite 50s RnR songs I gotta check it out.) Their version of it completely blew my mind, it was such a different sound, then the Cochran version, man I was in love with Blue Cheer after that haha.
    • October 1, 2014 11:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks , Matt.  In the post - Synthpop 80's , I tried to check out everything. I'd been exposed to the burgeoning Speed Metal , Industial (Not Wax Trax/Dance shit.) , and  , of course , Hardcore and later Punk sounds , but , when I first heard Blue Cheer's version of "Summertime Blues , which sounds like someone kicking in a row of TV sets , then threw them out a 10th story window , all that macho crap I was hearing did'nt sound so tuff no damn more. They STILL don't get the credit they deserve.

I've always loved Eddie Cochran , and never understood why people could'nt like him , and like B.C. 's version  of "Summertime Blues". I understand if it's not to someone's taste , or even too excessive. But , who's to say Eddie would'nt have dug it. I was briefly in a Rockabilly band with a guy that HATED Blue Cheer , but , it was partly because his Dad loved them. I wrote an article on Rockabilly from the Late 60's to the Punk era. I prefaced it with that same story , and I had the chance to give Dickie Peterson and Paul Whaley a copy of the article. For all we know , had Eddie lived , he might have produced their records.

Blue Cheer also recorded a killer version of "Somethin' Else" , posthumously , as a bonus track on the "Rocks Europe " CD.

• October 2, 2014 12:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's shame, Blue Cheer really doesn't get the credit they deserve, I mean c'mon that first album was killer, anybody who can't dig Blue Cheer doesn't have their head screwed on right. For me I've always been a bigger fan of the harder rock of the late 60s to the mid 70s, I like metal but it just didn't grab me like the precursors of the genre did. I would take Blue Cheer, MC5, The Stooges,etc., over alot of that stuff anyday. I think Eddie would have dug Blue Cheers cover (or at least appreciated it, because it shows that he influenced them and that were fans.) Any copies of your article floating around, sounds like something I'd really like to check out.
    • October 2, 2014 3:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Matt, Of course , you're speaking my language. When I found "Vincebus Eruptum" , I was blown away by how intense the whole thing sounded. I love "Outside Inside'' , too. They just took what they had , and added some embellishments to it , without ruining it. It's a more layered sound (Recorded outdoors , then sprinkled moderately with "Faerie Dust". ) . Tell you the truth , I don't dislike any of their albums , but , the first two , and the side on "New ! Improved ! "with Randy Holden set the bar. Dickie once said that the ONLY bands  he considered peer bands to The Cheer were The MC5 and The Stooges. But , I've been listening to a lot of Late 60's - Early 70's Hard Rock , lately.  I broke down and bought the new reissue of "Dead Man"  by Josefus , on numero records. I'd been warned against it in the past. I loved the title track (Tell me it does'nt soung like something off "Funhouse".) , but had never heard the rest of the album. Yes , it tends to be sloppy , but in a GOOD way.

You're right  , Eddie would have been proud of the vast influence he had on so many genres of music. But , I'm reminded of when Hell truly froze over and Link Wray started touring the states again , in the 90's...Some of these whiners were getting their panties in a bunch , because Link was using a Marshall, when (a)Who's to say he would'nt have used one , sooner , if they'd been invented , yet , and (B) THEY WERE GODDAMN LUCKY TO SEE HIM !!!!!   

THANKS FOR ASKING ABOUT MY ARTICLE. i REALLY DOUBT IT'S ON LINE , ANYWHERE......

I even forget the zine's name , offhand , but , I still have a couple of copies. If you'd like , though , it should be easy to find the interview I did later with Dickie Peterson. Go wo www.roctober.com.   It should be  under "select articles"....

• October 2, 2014 5:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The first Blue Cheer album probaly my favorite by them, I mean they packed so much raw power into just six tracks, I mean how many other bands could that (especially now days haha.) I haven't heard the Dead Man album but now I'm eager to check it. Link Wray is killer I mean how could anybody whine about what equipment he used, the man was a legend. I would have loved to just been in his presence, hearing Rumble in person would've been a dream come true. I'll definitely check out that website for that interview, sounds like a good read.
    • October 2, 2014 9:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks , Matt. I did'nt think I'd ever get to see Link Wray , but , in 1997 , he started touring the US , almost nonstop.People who could'nt decide whether or not to go see him , I had no patience with 'em.

I CAN GLADLY SAY I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER HOW MANY TIMES I SAW HIM. 

Biut , it was the same way with Blue Cheer , a lot of people passed on seeing them when a true rarity started to become less rare....

• October 2, 2014 10:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All I can say is your one lucky SOB man haha. By time I had really started listening to Link and digging his music he had been dead for 3 or 4 years (RIP) So unfortunately I missed out. Guess I need to jump on the stick and go check out a Chuck Berry show while I have the chance. I missed out on Blue Cheer too I didn't really get into their stuff until 2010, which is too bad I would have loved to check them out.
    • October 3, 2014 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Matt , I was just fortunate enough in that I waited long enough , someties well over 10 or even 20 years , and some of my favorites did resurface. But , it was to my advantage that I was in my 20's and  30's when interest started picking up on some of these artists.  OF COURSE , SOME PEOPLE I KNOW SAW  THESE ACTS THE FIRST TIME AROUND , and were just as happy to see 'em "Second Time Around".

I would say , re. first generation Rockers , Chuck is extremely dodgy. He always has been , but , he had his moments , depending on his moods. I SAW HIM AT HIS BIRTHDAY SHOW IN ST. LOUIS IN '01 . He was ON FIRE , but , I saw him a few years ago , and he was terrible...If you can see him for free or damn near it , I'd say , go , but , if you see him , regardless , be prepared for the very real possibility of a letdown.  I know you want to honor your elders , the few living creators , and that's commendable.  I SAW JERRY LEE A FEW YEARS AGO , IT WAS JUST THE OPPOSITE , he was playing and singing in peak form. LITTLE RICHARD AND FATS DOMINO ARE RETIRED .....

But , it's up to the younger people to inform people about Rock'n'Roll. I don't sneer at teens and twenties ehrn they tell me they're just getting into the original stuff. I was there , once , too. I think it's great , young men and women going against the grain. You can't change everyone , you can only show them how much fun YOU'RE having.  

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel