Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Echo Pedals

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 29, 2010 6:42 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hello, last year a big Italian band, that i can't say what kind of music they played, came to my city. The guitarist had a tele and a fender twin reverb. His sound was really clean. The band consisted of many instruments so you hardly noticed the guitar. But his sound was very surf-like. I asked him at the end of the gig if he could suggest for me a good pedal. He told me that the best i can buy was an echo pedal, the danelectro slap echo. And he told me it was really cheap. Now that it's christmas i decided to buy it. But since i just bought a reverb pedal i don't have much money left. Then i found danelectro fab echo which costs half as much as the slap echo. Is it any good or should i buy slap echo?

Sorry for the long introduction.

• January 4, 2011 7:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree, all their stuff is quite excellent, and very inexpensive. For us punks on a budget (by the sounds of it, most of us here at GP are anyway), you can get a great rig for a fraction of the Guitar Center costs.

Mardy Pune said:
      They sell some great stuff. Their pickups are good value for money.

KK Dirty Money said:

Also, this company makes good stuff for cheap:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pro-Delay-Classic-Vintage-Delay-Tones-E...

• January 3, 2011 11:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These are all excellent recommendations. Surf Craigslist for good deals on used pedals. Look on ebay to see what the good price range is. Go to a couple music stores and just demo as many different pedals as possible. Take notes on what you discover. Once you do a little bit of homework, you can probably nab a good deal on a gently used pedal (patience is also a good ingredient). 

If you put in that little bit of extra work, chances are you'll find a happy deal.

But, Danelectro and Behringer (if you're really strapped for cash) are always good for the money. You may find everything you need in one of these pedals, in new condition, for under $50 (especially if you're not too picky). 

It is a good time to be playing guitar because there are so many choices out there for good prices.

Good luck.

• January 2, 2011 4:53 PM CST
    • Untitled

Jamie; Your right, they do filter the repeats to make sound analogue. Most companies just cut the top end of the repeat to make it sound like an analogue repeat, but the repeats don't degrade like the analogue ones do.

Giannis; sorry the link should have read "Memory Toy" not "Memory Boy" and your also right, the Memory Toy was given bad reviews when it was released. The issues have been addressed by EHX and it's a great little pedal now. I use one as my number one delay now instead of my old Boss DM-2, which seems to be developing a mind of its own.
      Jamie said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have much experience with delays, but I thought the "lo-fi" aspect of analog delays could be captured with digital if they were "filtered" in the same way. However the time between repeats for analog delays decreases over time and stays the same with digital.. Hope that makes sense.

Also, Giannis did you try the Digitech Hardwire reverb in your reverb search? I'm interested in comparisons between that one and the FRV-1.

• January 1, 2011 6:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out the Marshall Echohead.

It's digital but has some great sounds including a tape echo (at 2:31 in the demo)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrptxS_EMI

I use one of these and it sounds great live. It's also virtually indestructible.

• January 1, 2011 9:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you Mardy.I'll probably go try the behringer.Though i've heard really bad critics for the memory boy.

Jamie, sorry but i didn't try it.I couldn't find anywere to try it.Though i never really like digitech this must be a good reverb.

• January 1, 2011 4:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have much experience with delays, but I thought the "lo-fi" aspect of analog delays could be captured with digital if they were "filtered" in the same way. However the time between repeats for analog delays decreases over time and stays the same with digital.. Hope that makes sense.

Also, Giannis did you try the Digitech Hardwire reverb in your reverb search? I'm interested in comparisons between that one and the FRV-1.

• December 31, 2010 6:14 PM CST
    • Untitled

A slap delay or slap back delay is just a short delay time. You don't have to buy a specifically named pedal to get this type of sound. Any cheap delay can give you this sound once you work out how to set it up.

There are two basic types of delay pedals available; Analogue and Digital. Traditionally the Analogue delay pedal will have a shorter range of delay lengths, up to 800 milliseconds and will sound more organic/warm. A basic digital delay will generally go up to 2 seconds these days, why anyone would want a 2 second delay is beyond me but each to their own and they also tend to sound quite clean and a little sterile.

If you want a great sounding analogue delay then go and try one of these: Electro Harmonix Memory Boy

For a cheap and good sounding analogue delay try one of these: Behringer Vintage Delay (these are unbelievable value for money)

One thing to note is that a lot of digital delay pedals will eat a 9 volt battery very quickly.

• December 31, 2010 1:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I meant to say electro harmonix deluxe memory man !! my mate was talking to me about his music man bass doh !!

gumbo chaff said:
      Yo !! Try a music man deluxe memory man or a boss re 20 space echo or a digitech hardwire dl 8,these are all great pedals as is a danelectro dan echo.
    • December 31, 2010 1:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yo !! Try a music man deluxe memory man or a boss re 20 space echo or a digitech hardwire dl 8,these are all great pedals as is a danelectro dan echo.
    • December 30, 2010 3:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I will probably buy the slap echo,because i got some more money in from my grandmother.

After one year of consideration, and a lot of pedals tried, i decided to buy the Boss frv.I wanted a spring reverb.I would like a lot to buy a tank,but that's just not possible.So i bought the pedal wich supposed to be the mini-tank(digital of course).It works pretty good for me.The only thing left to do ,and then i'll be able to have a complete opinion on it, is to gig with it.

Jamie said:

Danelectro has made several delays. I'm betting the "slap echo" is the Dan Echo. Just from a brief internet scan it looks like the delay time on the Fab Echo isn't adjustable and is fixed at slap back. Scan some youtube videos and if you like what you hear then that's what you'll be getting.

What reverb pedal did you get by the way? That's another subject of interest around here.

• December 30, 2010 12:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Danelectro has made several delays. I'm betting the "slap echo" is the Dan Echo. Just from a brief internet scan it looks like the delay time on the Fab Echo isn't adjustable and is fixed at slap back. Scan some youtube videos and if you like what you hear then that's what you'll be getting.

What reverb pedal did you get by the way? That's another subject of interest around here.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel