Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Surfin' Bird climbing the charts (again) in the UK!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 4, 2011 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like where you are going with this one.

YOU GOT GOOD TASTE said:

Justin Bieber for no.1

• December 31, 2010 1:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bryan G.Hamilton said it all !! BOPPA OOUU MAU MAU BOPPA OOUUMAU MA MAU !!.......THE BIRD IS THE WORD....INDEED.......
    • December 27, 2010 5:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Crazyyyy
    • December 22, 2010 3:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pfffff hahahah.

YOU GOT GOOD TASTE said:

Justin Bieber for no.1

Here for the stir

• December 22, 2010 3:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, hey man, be easy!

Can't you take a joke? I wasn't reffering to your dislike, I've no idea why I wouldn't be cool with that. I don't watch a lot of these shows either, so... I only used it as a opportunity to talk about my own crap there.

Oh, the innernet, never fails to bring plenty of misunderstanding.

ixnayray said:

You know what? Sorry about my tirade against 'adult' animation but everytime people find out that I don't like The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park they pull a face as if i'd just spat virgins blood in the face of Mother Teresa. Get over it fer Christs sake!!!

IDON MINE said:

YEAH, the bird! Hearing it for 20+ years has never made it old, a true classic.

And that the sensor of the protestors has fallen on this song, is clearly a sign that 200X marks the year of the return of the old gods ...of ROCK'N'ROLL.

Every other explaination is just worldly BS. Their ways are many. Listen and get blown away.

IXNAY: That is right in my case, my cartoons are a attempt to make people as stupid as possible ...in a good way. My operation is small, so multiplyed by the large zombie/human population... this might ...take forever.

Here for the stir

• December 21, 2010 5:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Justin Bieber for no.1

• December 21, 2010 5:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against people who like these shows. I just have something against people who have something against ME not liking these shows!

I think the X Factor guy deserves the No. 1 [and he did get it by the way]. I have more respect for someone who actually likes him than for someone who buys Surfin' Bird because they're a sheep and they were told to buy it. Simple as that. So well done Matt Cardle, or whatever your fucking name is. Now go and make Simon Cowell a shit load of coke money!! 

Hideout Admin said:

By the way, The Family Guy and The Simpsons are both great. I couldn't care less about Southpark.

• December 21, 2010 3:22 PM CST
    • Untitled

I hate Family Guy, as for the Sufin Bird, it beats the hell out of Rage Against the Machine but it's the same dumb stunt at the end of the day. I mean so what the X Factor winner doesn't get its number one, she/he was never going to be the winner in the game anyway, that would be the record label.

Seeing as it's always majors playing this game, they are in a win win situation where X Factor fans are met with a challenge to buy this crud to get it to number one.

I sound really miserable here but I swear that really isn't so. And considering the charities involved and that the song's good I'm rooting for it.

• December 21, 2010 2:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By the way, The Family Guy and The Simpsons are both great. I couldn't care less about Southpark.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 21, 2010 2:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

From Sundazed Music:

"Surfin' Bird" storms the British charts for Christmas!

The Trashmen's immortal rock 'n' roll classic "Surfin' Bird" continues to demonstrate its timeless appeal this holiday season.  The beloved 1963 garage-surf anthem is currently at the center of a successful grass-roots campaign in Britain to return the 47-year-old song to the upper reaches of the pop charts.

This holiday season, a cadre of British rock 'n' roll fanatics—represented by a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/birdbirdbirdistheword) that boasts over 620,000 members—has mounted an audacious campaign that has already pushed the song to the Number Three spot on the U.K. charts, alongside the likes of the Black Eyed Peas and Rihanna.  The effort, originally launched by "Birdman Jack," has achieved this unprecedented feat by encouraging its members to purchase the song.

In a recent statement, the group explained that the campaign represents a concerted effort to strike a blow for real music, and to wrest the U.K. chart spotlight back from the domination of lightweight manufactured pop, as exemplified by Simon Cowell's wildly successful TV show X Factor.  "Our mission," the group explains, "is to continue the success of last year's 'Rage Against The Machine' Facebook campaign, which snatched the Christmas Number One spot from X-Factor.  The reason behind this campaign is to further prevent the domination of manufactured music, and to allow something truly great to take the limelight.  We are quickly closing the gap on the Number One spot, and we won't stop until everybody knows that the bird is the word!"

As part of the effort, the group is also supporting several charities and is asking members to make donations to these worthy causes, including Shelter, PinkRibbon, British Heart Foundation, Childline and the wildlife preservation organization the RSPB.  The RSPB, which has long worked to protect the welfare of actual birds, has produced a new video to help promote the "Surfin' Bird" chart campaign (http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.aspx?id=266053).

The Trashmen were already regional heroes on the Minnesota teen scene when they released "Surfin' Bird" as their debut single in late 1963.  The song brilliantly encapsulated the primitive, uninhibited abandon of the quartet's uniquely primitive take on the surf-music sound.  In the early months of 1964, as America was in the grip of the early stages of Beatlemania, the Bird ascended to the Number Four spot on the Billboard pop singles chart, as well as becoming a smash in such far-flung locales as Australia, Sweden, Mexico and Venezuela.

In the decades since, "Surfin' Bird" has remained an enduring pop-culture touchstone, appearing in numerous movies, TV shows and commercials, and inspiring cover versions by the Ramones, the Cramps and countless other bands.  Most recently, the Bird reentered the mainstream consciousness when the animated TV sitcom The Family Guy built an entire episode around protagonist Peter Griffin's obsession with the song.  Meanwhile, the Trashmen—still anchored by original members Tony Andreason, Dal Winslow and Bob Reed—continue to perform for rabid, ecstatic audiences in America and overseas.

The Trashmen's vintage catalogue remains a mainstay of Sundazed Music, which has released multiple packages of the band's original recordings.  In addition to the label’s recently-released 7" vinyl single pairing "Surfin' Bird" with its original b-side "King of the Surf," the song is also featured on Sundazed's reissue of the original Surfin' Bird album on both CD and vinyl LP, as well as Tube City! The Best of the Trashmen and the exhaustive four-CD box set Bird Call! The Twin City Stomp of the Trashmen.

www.sundazed.com

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 20, 2010 6:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You know what? Sorry about my tirade against 'adult' animation but everytime people find out that I don't like The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park they pull a face as if i'd just spat virgins blood in the face of Mother Teresa. Get over it fer Christs sake!!!

IDON MINE said:

And that the sensor of the protestors has fallen on this song, is clearly a sign that 200X marks the year of the return of the old gods ...of ROCK'N'ROLL.

Every other explaination is just worldly BS. Their ways are many. Listen and get blown away.

IXNAY: That is right in my case, my cartoons are a attempt to make people as stupid as possible ...in a good way. My operation is small, so multiplyed by the large zombie/human population... this might ...take forever.

• December 20, 2010 4:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here for the stir

• December 19, 2010 6:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I was gonna guess this was from Family Guy.  I also agree with Ray that it's very cool that this is happening, but it doesn't seem to be because anyone thinks it's cool.  It's all part of the joke from the TV show.

And for the record, Family guy is absolutely hilarious.  Definitely not appropriate for young children.

• December 18, 2010 6:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know if you are aware of why this has happened? It's a reaction against a TV show called 'The X Factor' [same bullshit as American Idol] assuming they will have the [much desired] Christmas number one spot in the 'Top 40 Chart'. Someone set up a Facebook page last year and got Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name Of' to number one instead.

I think Surfin' Bird was chosen because of the skit on an episode of Family Guy. I've never seen the show personally [as I think cartoons are for kids and that it's just a mass media attempt to dumb us down]. Ultimately, yes, it's cool that people are rallying against the assumption that some bullshit pop wannabe is guaranteed a number one song because of their success on a TV show. I do think it's a shame that people aren't buying the song because they think it's cool.

You probably knew all of this anyway - So forgive my rambling...

• December 18, 2010 3:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When every other song on the list is forgotten Surfin' Bird will still be blasting away somewhere. It's timeless!

• December 17, 2010 9:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Boppa OOUU MAU MAU Boppa OOUU MAU MA MAU!!   Awesome.  I hope this ain't a joke.

• December 17, 2010 5:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My god! Never EVER thought I'd see Rhianna's name next to the Thrashmen! Surfin' bird is my all time fav tune!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel