Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Brand-New Recordings By The Sonics

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 9, 2011 4:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had the pleasure of seeing them at a non festival show last year and they tore the place apart. More energy and passion than most bands I have seen recently.

I can only imagine how crazy their gigs used to be back in the day.

• January 8, 2011 12:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 5, 2011 2:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not anti-Greg Shaw. I think he's done more good than anything but you can't be 100 % on EVERYBODY. Even Greg could be a little underhanded if he saw an opportunity, in this case, the Sonics LP. And if he'd just been a little more honest with bands stating that he would support them by putting their name out but it was going to be up to them to make their own money because honestly, he was just doing this as a fan and losing money (which I believe is true). But he never did, which is probably why a lot of bands starting having a lot of animosity toward him. It seems like only after SAVING THE WORLD ONE RECORD AT A TIME, did we get the real picture.
    • January 5, 2011 10:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always felt that punk got boring when it became more of a fashion than music..It was exciting at the beginning and eventually it just became another music to me..i remember when a Boston band called Third Rail released a 45 called "It's Over Now' somewhere around 1979..it pretty much summed things up....
    • January 5, 2011 10:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yep, if it wasn't for Greg Shaw i woulda lost interest in music completely after the first punk wave in the late 70's/eaerly 80's...Pebbles sure opened some doors for me!

And ya, Sinderella is definitely my least favourite Sonics LP.

Eargasm said:

Yeah, that Bomp album was pretty bad, but it was more than an attempt to cash in on The Sonics name..I'll get the facts together in my head, and come back to it...As far as Greg Shaw, I think a pretty good case could be made that none of us would be talking about this stuff if it wasn't for him...Nuggets may have been the first big wheel to get 60's punk rolling, but no one championed the burgeoning 70's punk, 60's punk and whatever the hell else was going on back then than Greg...Bomp magazine was an essential ingrediant in an era was information wasn't at your fingertips. It was being spread out by an ever growing fraternity of rock and roll zealots mostly word of mouth..
      That being said, lightning rarely strikes twice, and it's difficult for 60 year old men to resurrect the impulses that created the phenomenom that is The Sonics...
    • January 4, 2011 9:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, that Bomp album was pretty bad, but it was more than an attempt to cash in on The Sonics name..I'll get the facts together in my head, and come back to it...As far as Greg Shaw, I think a pretty good case could be made that none of us would be talking about this stuff if it wasn't for him...Nuggets may have been the first big wheel to get 60's punk rolling, but no one championed the burgeoning 70's punk, 60's punk and whatever the hell else was going on back then than Greg...Bomp magazine was an essential ingrediant in an era was information wasn't at your fingertips. It was being spread out by an ever growing fraternity of rock and roll zealots mostly word of mouth..
      That being said, lightning rarely strikes twice, and it's difficult for 60 year old men to resurrect the impulses that created the phenomenom that is The Sonics...
    • January 2, 2011 8:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well if you think the sonics are gonna sound just as they did back in their hey day , it ain't gonna happen. larry puripya (SIC)still has a cool guitar sound. their worth seeing them if you've never seen them before
    • December 28, 2010 7:44 PM CST
    • Untitled

Seriously, They were never gonna sound like they did back in the day.
    • December 22, 2010 10:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you're talking about that Bomp Record, Sin-derella!, that wasn't the Sonics.  That was Greg Shaw asking Gerry Roslie if he could sing some demos and somehow he agreed.  The band was called the Invaders but in typical Shaw like fashion, he thought he could cash in on the Sonics name.  Roslie didn't even know that he was taking his picture with the band on the recordings or at least didn't know that the picture was going to be on the back of a record.

Hideout Admin said:
      Yeah, didn't they attempt this at some point in the '70s or early '80s, too? I remember hearing something like that back around 15 years ago and thinking it was pretty bad (compared to their early stuff).

BTW, Bonzo, the Sonics have played some festivals in the past couple years, both in the US and Europe. But I think they're done...

electrocute your cock said:
      Sounds a lot like hard rock to me. Not bad or anything, just not The Sonics at all.
    • December 2, 2010 3:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I won't ruin their fun so long as they don't make me buy their shitty new record.

I'm kidding Sonics, I'm kidding! Jeez, these old guys are so touchy.
    • December 2, 2010 1:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hideout Admin said:
      Yeah, didn't they attempt this at some point in the '70s or early '80s, too? I remember hearing something like that back around 15 years ago and thinking it was pretty bad (compared to their early stuff).

BTW, Bonzo, the Sonics have played some festivals in the past couple years, both in the US and Europe. But I think they're done...

Sounds a lot like hard rock to me. Not bad or anything, just not The Sonics at all.
      Thanks for the info. I guess that just passed me by. Agree with IDON MINE though. If they're still getting a kick out of doin' it, then why the hell not?!
    • December 2, 2010 12:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well thanks for that.
      It's the Sonics, so I'm not complaining. Let them have their fun.

Here for the stir

• December 1, 2010 3:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, didn't they attempt this at some point in the '70s or early '80s, too? I remember hearing something like that back around 15 years ago and thinking it was pretty bad (compared to their early stuff). BTW, Bonzo, the Sonics have played some festivals in the past couple years, both in the US and Europe. But I think they're done...

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 1, 2010 9:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• December 1, 2010 9:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I had no idea these guys were still around. Let alone still playing and still making new recordings! It makes me justified in growing old disgracefully...They still sound brilliant, full of energy, passion and just a hint of insanity. First heard Psycho 30 years ago on a brilliant compilation and have loved it and any other Sonics I can get hold of ever since.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel