Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: "Real" chords or power chords?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 23, 2010 12:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gang, I've been learning the guitar for say, 6 months self-taught. Last two week I'd been practicing triad chords like hell. I decided to put them into a love song of mine that I wrote specifically for real chords. And you know what? It just didn't sound right. It didn't send out the right message I wanted to send out.

So what now? Should I continue learning real chords or stick to something I'm much better at, power chords? Also, with punk/garage/rock and roll, what do you think is the triad chord/power chord ratio being used?

• August 30, 2011 5:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well the sonics used power chords but stuff like gloria is proper chord

on th subject real chords sound more garage it depend ie A7 sounds garagy the way i play it but other voicings less so ,also g open is very un garagy

i like to use a mix

• December 5, 2010 10:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

W E I R D O N I A said:
      Actually there are no power chords in Blue Orchid..
      He's using an POG octave generator, and he used his whammy live
      Oh, I guess they do sound more like octaves than power chords. What's a POG? I'd also like to mention that, surprisingly or not, Johnny Ramone used barre chords.
    • December 5, 2010 1:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Green Day? Nickelback? I wish you wouldn't use the observational selection fallicy to support your "reasoning". I mean of the literally thousands of good rock bands that play power chords, you choose the worst, Green Day and Nickelback (and Dookie was actually a good album, you bastard)

Gonzo said:
      imo full chords are 60's fuzz nugget psych folk neo garage punk, power chords should be left for the likes of Green Day & Nickelback. In answer to your question....either way your going to learn how to play both.
    • December 3, 2010 3:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Actually there are no power chords in Blue Orchid..
      He's using an POG octave generator, and he used his whammy live
    • December 3, 2010 3:39 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jack White actually uses power chords in most of his songs, not just Blue Orchid.

ThePostOps said:
      Go for full barre chords, or even regular chords, like A and E, which you learn when first playing guitar. Those have the fullest sound. Power chords have their place, too, though. Isn't Link Wray credited with being the first to use power chords in a popular song? And, of course, Jack White, who's in your profile pic, uses them on songs like White Orchid.
    • December 3, 2010 12:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Go for full barre chords, or even regular chords, like A and E, which you learn when first playing guitar. Those have the fullest sound. Power chords have their place, too, though. Isn't Link Wray credited with being the first to use power chords in a popular song? And, of course, Jack White, who's in your profile pic, uses them on songs like White Orchid.
    • December 2, 2010 7:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You have asked a very good question! I think it depends on the song you are playing. If as has been said, you want a garage sound, play triads predominately. You can change very quickly between the inversions ie. *top 3 strings* 232=Dmajor...ok? 432= Bminor..433=Gmajor.. 453=Eminor..all in the key of D (orG). But can you see you're only making a slight change every time- one or two fingers moving a fret or two. Imagine having to do that with barre chords...5th fret, 7th fret...3rd fret..7th fret! Besides that the sound of a power chord, is..well..powerful, maybe The Ramones yeah, but it can make yer average band sound like AM sludge....when I do it it does anyway..
    • November 27, 2010 7:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Plug it in and let it rip. Whatever makes your ass shake is a damn good time.
    • November 26, 2010 10:19 PM CST
    • Untitled

You should play what you wanna play. Power chords, Open chords or Barre Chords; it doesn't matter, if it sounds right to you then it's right!
    • November 26, 2010 4:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I vote full barre chords. Learn the E and A form barre chords on the first twelve frets and you're good. Learn some minors and sevenths eventually. I've been at that point for the past few years. I don't really know where to go now. I guess working on songwriting would be a good choice.
    • November 26, 2010 7:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I for myself try to play "real" chords as much as possible, and even when I play power chords, I've started adding the rest of my fingers to get a full six string major or minor chord. Maybe it's because I write my songs on my acoustic guitar primarily. Power chords are ok, but real chords sound more like garage punk, I think. Real chords somehow feel not as solid as a wall, but rather delicate, richer, but also thinner in power (that's why they're no power chords), so it's not so much "rock" but more "garage", if you know what I mean.

Another pro for real chords in my opinion is that when you've learned and practiced them a bit, you don't need to climb up and down your fretboard but can keep your hand at one position, which is much more comfortable for lazy ol' me. And with the variations on the chords you can fake guitar solos without knowing how to play guitar solos...

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• November 25, 2010 10:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

after playing power chords for a really long time to get the notes I wanted I've just started practicing "real chords" it's keeps me from getting bored but also gives a whole new direction to my sound. but I really think if you like the way it sounds then just play it! I am forever learning to "play" the guitar but it's loads of fun!!!
    • November 25, 2010 7:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

full chords all the way. they add more depth to the song and sound more garagey too
    • November 25, 2010 7:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey....how are you doing....
      Play what sounds best to YOU.......'power chords', half chords, 'proper' chords, not-a chord-at-all chords (my favourite...)......it's the SOUND that counts.....if its the note you meant, its the right note.....
      The only benefit I would say to learning 'proper' chords is that it gives you that option if you want to take it.....
      As to which chord type to use......whatever!......(say, early on in the song you want a bit of a jangle? half chord, top strings only!...later on......its time to blast through to the end? Power chord!)
      Enough crap from me....good luck....keep on keepin' on...
      BG
      TBGZP
    • November 25, 2010 3:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

imo full chords are 60's fuzz nugget psych folk neo garage punk, power chords should be left for the likes of Green Day & Nickelback. In answer to your question....either way your going to learn how to play both.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel