Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Is there any guitar that you wouldn't play because of the name?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 21, 2010 1:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I run into a lot of "label whores" who won't play say for example a Squire or Peavey because of the name. I own a Peavey hollow body and have played the Squire Classic Vibe Bass, (very nice instrument). I think people feel the have less of a guitar if it doesn't say Gibson or Fender. I play a Dano Longhorn Bass and it looks like a toy, but it plays and sound great so I'm sticking with it. What's your thoughts?
    • November 26, 2010 5:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

To me, it's more than the label, it's the quality of the workmanship of the instrument. The type of wood, the way the frets are dressed, the tuners, etc all come into the equation. I've owned a few Dano Longhorns. I had an original 60's one, then I had a 90's Korean remake, and IMO neither comes close in quality to the Jerry Jones Longhorn I still own. The reason is, the neck is beautiful, he uses great tuning pegs, the pickup's and wiring are all hand made. It's a well made, great sounding instrument, made in the USA. I still own a 90's Dano Baritone, and to get it up to speed, I had to change the bridge & the tuners. But it's still nowhere near a Jerry Jones.

Peavy makes very high quality instruments, however, they are just plain ugly. The same with their amplifiers. If they had a better design, I think they would be more widely accepted.

Squier's are getting better, the problem is they were so bad in the past that they are associated with low quality.

Funny, I remember when 70's Fender's were looked down upon. Everyone said the only good Fender's were Pre- CBS.
      I liked the 70's P basses and bought a few quite cheaply in the late 80's. They have gone way up in value.

Then people looked down on the Japanese made Fenders. Those too are going way up in value. I have a Mexican Fender Jazz bass, and it's a fine instrument.

My real guilty pleasure find however is a 70's Hondo P bass. I scored it for around $50, and it's a great bass.
    • November 23, 2010 7:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I went to the Bach site, looks cool, Europe has so many choices for low end guitars. I read Guitarist magazine from England, it's the best guitar mag out there, the ads for guitars only available overseas are great, cool designs and low prices. Most stuff in the US has a metal look to them, if you walk into Guitar Center you see rows of pointy strat like guitars, I wish someone would import Fret King over here. Ersk A. Loisque said:
      I'm always looking for the cheapest (yet decent) alternative around. My main axe for garage rock is a telecaster by the brand Bach (http://www.bachmusik.com/en/) and I think it does the job just as good as a mexican fender. But then I've done some sweet mods to it: Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge position, tonerider hot classic in the neck position (go buy toneriders, they sound REALLY good! I used to have a hot classic in the bridge as well but I got tired of the single coil hum, I'm more of a bucker guy), locking tuners and a Bigsby B50. Mahogany body and maple neck. Our lead guitarist (who usually plays an american tele) borrowed it for a rehearsal once and his guitar sound became way more distinctive with my guitar. It may not have the feel of a fender or gibby, but price wise - It's the deal!
    • November 23, 2010 4:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

See?That's what i 'm talkin about.

Ersk A. Loisque said:

Giannis KRI said:
      I am not saying he's a bad guy,but it doesn't look good.

height="385"> " target="_blank">target="_blank">

Or this one:

I mean, he nails it, but I wouldn't be able to play any proper rock n roll song on a guitar with a floyd rose.. It's just plain wrong!
    • November 22, 2010 2:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Giannis KRI said:

Or this one: I mean, he nails it, but I wouldn't be able to play any proper rock n roll song on a guitar with a floyd rose.. It's just plain wrong!
    • November 22, 2010 1:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 21, 2010 2:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I play all "vintage style guitars", and I don't care if some of them are cheapos, or what gear snobs think of them. I like both the look and sound of these instruments. The last instrument I bought was a Squier Bronco Bass, used for $80, and I love it. I hate any heavy metal, or modern style guitar regardless of the brand name. I especially loathe Paul Reed Smith guitars. I know they are well made, expensive guitars, but they just don't speak to me, and sound generic in my opinion.

I too, own a 90's Korean made Dano Longhorn Bass re-issue and love it, as well as a Jay Turser Violin Bass, which I think is superior to Hofner's Asian made Icon series.
    • November 21, 2010 2:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm always looking for the cheapest (yet decent) alternative around. My main axe for garage rock is a telecaster by the brand Bach (http://www.bachmusik.com/en/) and I think it does the job just as good as a mexican fender. But then I've done some sweet mods to it: Seymour Duncan Little '59 in the bridge position, tonerider hot classic in the neck position (go buy toneriders, they sound REALLY good! I used to have a hot classic in the bridge as well but I got tired of the single coil hum, I'm more of a bucker guy), locking tuners and a Bigsby B50. Mahogany body and maple neck. Our lead guitarist (who usually plays an american tele) borrowed it for a rehearsal once and his guitar sound became way more distinctive with my guitar. It may not have the feel of a fender or gibby, but price wise - It's the deal!
    • November 21, 2010 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

About the peavey,you are so right man.I own a peavey T-60,'79 model.And its so awesome man.Ok maybe it doesn't sound so good when in distortion,but when you play on the clean channel,It takes you to another level.
    • November 21, 2010 2:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would never play a Hitler guitar--Kramer & Ibanez also a bit iffy...
    • November 21, 2010 1:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would never play a jackson or a dean
    • November 21, 2010 1:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

for me it's all about the looks. and the sound I can get out of it. brand doesn't matter. I had a 63 Gretsch until this afternoon and it looked awesome and, hey it's a GRETSCH, but I couldn't use it for garage-punk. so I use a 80s squire stratocaster right now. not perfect but it does the job for now.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel