Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What's tops on your list of musician biography/autobiography?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 20, 2010 9:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I try to read as many as I can, even if I'm not into the individual or the music.  I'm currently reading the Keith Richards rag and am enjoying it very much.  How 'bout choos guys?
    • November 27, 2010 3:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Touching From A Distance written by Ian Curtis' wife.
    • November 24, 2010 7:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shakey- Neil Young..I really loved reading about all the traveling and his recording then and there habits. He's a bit mad and obsessed with his work but I enjoyed being submerged in the life he has led. I have yet to listen to tonights the night but I hope it's as good as the book makes it seem!! I'm gonna find that Patti Smith book next!!
    • November 24, 2010 11:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The chapter about the making of Funhouse in Open Up and Bleed should be a whole book, it's incredible. Mr. S by Frank Sinatra's longtime valet George Jacobs is one of the wildest biographies, portraying Frank and his pals (including JFK) as a bunch of insecure, whoremongering, rat soup-eatin' honkies. John Lydon's autobio Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs gave me new respect for the guy and it's kind of touching that he finds his story after his mother's death too painful to delve into. White Light/White Heat: The Velvet Underground Day-by-Day by Richie Unterberger is the last word on the VU and clears up the many mysteries surrounding the group. My all-time favorites are Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love by Peter Guralnik, a two-volume biography of the King of Rock and Roll beside which all other Elvis books are trash.
    • November 23, 2010 9:27 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my fault - billy childish (a bit of a bummer) just kids - patti smith faithfull - marianne faithfull be my baby: how i survived mascara, miniskirts, and madness, or my life as a fabulous ronette - ronnie spector ALSO! free online kicksville66 - miriam linna (original drummer for the cramps) @ http://kicksville66.blogspot.com/ i also like the writing of julian cope!
    • November 22, 2010 6:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cramps biography
    • November 22, 2010 5:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Learn and laugh your ass off at the same time with "I have fun everywhere I go" by the great Mike Edison and "Rock Stardom for dumbshits" by The wonderful Phantom Surfers ! And check the BOOKSHELF group ! You may find other suggestions there !
    • November 22, 2010 12:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

TMLD sounds awesome!! It seems Canada has a great slice of every genre through the years. The surf/rnr output is really astonishing. Thanks, Mark.

Mark Von Frankenstine said:
      I recently read "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson of the New Bomb Turks. It's sort of a retrospective of the whole 90s punk/garage scene as told through a heavy filter of autobiography. I think he did a pretty damn good job covering over a decade of international music. It's nowhere near as exhaustive as books like "Please Kill Me" or "We've Got the Neutron Bomb", but it's a decent read if you can get over Davidson's um... 'flowery' prose style. Ha ha.

I also really recommend "Treat Me Like Dirt" which is the exhaustive (almost painfully so at times) expose of the first wave punk scene in Toronto, Canada and the surrounding area. It's fantastic, but damn it covers a LOT of stuff.
    • November 22, 2010 9:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really enjoyed Charles Mingus' autobiography Beneath The Underdog, but it gets kind of mixed reviews elsewhere.
    • November 22, 2010 7:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Good Rockin' tonight" by Escott/Hawkins...
    • November 21, 2010 7:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently read "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson of the New Bomb Turks. It's sort of a retrospective of the whole 90s punk/garage scene as told through a heavy filter of autobiography. I think he did a pretty damn good job covering over a decade of international music. It's nowhere near as exhaustive as books like "Please Kill Me" or "We've Got the Neutron Bomb", but it's a decent read if you can get over Davidson's um... 'flowery' prose style. Ha ha.

I also really recommend "Treat Me Like Dirt" which is the exhaustive (almost painfully so at times) expose of the first wave punk scene in Toronto, Canada and the surrounding area. It's fantastic, but damn it covers a LOT of stuff.
    • November 21, 2010 1:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out I slept with Joey Ramone, It's written by his brother, I enjoyed it.
    • November 21, 2010 7:23 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Patti Smith, "Just Kids". It's incredible, and it just won the National Book Award for non-fiction.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel