Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Anyone own a Mosrite?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 8, 2010 3:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I 'veen been playing guitar for many years.I own a hollow body,a peavey t-60 and a gibson sg 1961 reissue.So now its time for my surf guitar.At the beggining i was sure about tha jaguar.I said there is no question,i am just gonna get a jaguar.But the mosrite idea occured to me.They are pretty expensive but here's the deal.
      I live in greece,and there is a really bad greek singer,eurovision style.And in his video clips he holds a jaguar man.And he doesn't even play it! 
      I mean he pretends to play it,but there is no sound.
      Everyone knows him here and everyone knows that he holds this guitar.So its difficult for me to get on stage with it.And then comes the mosrite.Ventures,ramones, many great bands.So i would like an opinion if anyone here ows one.

Thanks.
    • December 12, 2010 5:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Dillions are not bad guitars in the least. I still swear that the Hallmarks are currently the best Mosrite clone on the market and, in many ways, exceed the quality of any of the current guitars being marketed under the Mosrite name. Please note, Mosrite died with Semi Mosley, so purchasing one today, unless vintage, would be simply forking out thousands for a name.

Axel said:

Thanks for the info. I surfed the net a bit and it seems the mosrite pu output was/is between 10 and 12 K. That should create a great sound when  usuing fuzz. There is  at least one company building mosrite styled pus these days to replace p-90s in all those clones(eastwood, wilson brothers, dillion).

In the meantime I got a Dillion Mosrite copy, 2002 model, and I love it. After I lowered the action is plays pretty decent. I'm not certain that my quest for 'my' perfect garage-punk guitar is over, but for now I'm really happy.

Kill, Baby...Kill! said:

In regard to the pickup question, the Mosrites had overwound P-90s that were very 'hot'. These sound very different from standard P-90s found on todays guitars.
    • December 11, 2010 1:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the info. I surfed the net a bit and it seems the mosrite pu output was/is between 10 and 12 K. That should create a great sound when  usuing fuzz. There is  at least one company building mosrite styled pus these days to replace p-90s in all those clones(eastwood, wilson brothers, dillion).

In the meantime I got a Dillion Mosrite copy, 2002 model, and I love it. After I lowered the action is plays pretty decent. I'm not certain that my quest for 'my' perfect garage-punk guitar is over, but for now I'm really happy.

Kill, Baby...Kill! said:

In regard to the pickup question, the Mosrites had overwound P-90s that were very 'hot'. These sound very different from standard P-90s found on todays guitars.
    • December 7, 2010 4:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 7, 2010 4:11 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I actually play an Eastwood Sidejack, which is their take on the old mosrites. It is a great guitar for a great price. However, if you really want a Mosrite, I suggest checking out Hallmark guitars. These run just under 1000usd and are the best repros made at the moment, even over those with the Mosrite name. Even better, Hallmark are made by one of Semi Mosleys colaborators so this guy knows the Mosrite inside and out. Even better than that, one of the biggest complaints about the original Mosrites is how thin the neck is and how narrow the nut is, placing the strings very close together. Hallmark has fixed this with a more standard gibson nut width. Even Brian from Man or Astro-man? has been playing these since they got back together.
    • November 26, 2010 5:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've owned a lot of guitars over my lifetime & I keep going back to Fender. They are solid, well built, reliable, easy to play and they sound great. Who cares what some pop star uses as a prop in his video? Pop stars come & go. If you dig the Jaguar, get one. I had a Mosrite bass for a while & it did not come close to a Fender bass in any way. The strings were too close together, the sound was muddy & the pickups came loose rather easily. I think Mosrite guitars are better than their basses, but I just can not comprehend the huge price-tags asked for these instruments these days. I can remember a time when these were $50 guitars.They look cool, but IMO if it's all about the image, save your money & buy an Eastwood, a Hallmark or a Univox. These are decent guitars at a fraction of the cost. Do you really want to be babysitting a $2,000.00 guitar at your gigs?? If you are looking for the real surf sound, it's not just the guitar, but the amplifier that makes the difference. You'll also need a good reverb tank to get the real surf sound, and those too can be quite expensive. It's also about you as a player. Dick Dale uses a Stratocaster. He uses very heavy strings & uses a vintage Fender dual showman amp. He gets quite a different sound than most Strat players. Keep in mind, Johnny Ramone changed the pickups on his. So his guitar did not sound like most Mosrite guitars.
    • November 21, 2010 1:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the question is, and maybe there's some expert here who has the answer, what pick-ups are in the old Mosrites? there are(and were) tons of Mosrite looking guitars around but I wonder if they also sound like one?
    • November 20, 2010 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is a guy in a local surf band that plays one of these, kind've expensive, but way cheaper than a Mosrite:

• November 20, 2010 7:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Eastwood Guitars, they have replicas of the famous mosrite guitars, inexpensive and they get good reviews.
    • November 19, 2010 3:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha,man,you made my day!

enzo carretto said:
      If you can get your hands on one, go for it! Then, paint a pic of that guy on the body.
    • November 19, 2010 2:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you can get your hands on one, go for it! Then, paint a pic of that guy on the body.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel