Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Children of Nuggets box set

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 26, 2010 2:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, I know I'm a little late asking about this, but what did everyone here think of the "Children of Nuggets" boxed set? It was released in late 2005, and it was a compilation of songs by garage bands of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Did you feel it was a good representation of contemporary garage rock, or did you feel it missed the mark in any way?

I liked it, but keep in mind that I was still fairly new to garage rock at that time. Hell, I'm still trying to learn more about it. It was quite a revelation for me to notice that most of the songs included in the boxed set were recorded and released back when I was in high school, during a time when I was wasting my life away on hard and classic rock (Yes, laugh if you must).

BTW, I wish "Get My Way" and "I'll Wait" by the Cynics had been included. "Baby, What's Wrong" made it into the set, and while it's a great song, the other two I just mentioned are my all time favorites.
    • October 28, 2010 6:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, definetly.

kopper said:
      I personally thought there was too much wimpy '80s college rock on it and not enough real garage/psych revival stuff.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I felt Rhino could have done two or three box sets of "Children". Trying to put 25 years onto 4 discs meant a lot of bands were going to miss out. They should have done the 80s for one box and the 90s for another. This year would have been perfect for the last 10. Of course, there are a few Bomp/Voxx comps that kind of fill in the gaps.
    • October 28, 2010 5:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I personally thought there was too much wimpy '80s college rock on it and not enough real garage/psych revival stuff.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I felt Rhino could have done two or three box sets of "Children". Trying to put 25 years onto 4 discs meant a lot of bands were going to miss out. They should have done the 80s for one box and the 90s for another. This year would have been perfect for the last 10. Of course, there are a few Bomp/Voxx comps that kind of fill in the gaps.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 28, 2010 4:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Farmer John, I'm in love with your daughter!"
    • October 27, 2010 10:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 27, 2010 1:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL, that is so true! You could say it's like separating the wheat from the chaff.

BTW, my all time favorite track from that compilation is "I Wanna Destroy You" by the Soft Boys. I love how that song combines snarling punk lyrics with a jangly pop sound. When I went to see gigs from Little Steven's Rolling Rock tour, that song was on the mixed tape that the go go dancers did their routines to.

Michelle said:
      It's the same as any comp, you've to listen to a lot of shite to find the good stuff! :)
    • October 27, 2010 1:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's the same as any comp, you've to listen to a lot of shite to find the good stuff! :)
    • October 27, 2010 11:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I figured this must have been discussed back then, but I wasn't involved with this site at the time.

That's cool that you played a small part in making this happen.

kopper said:
      Yeah, this topic was beat to death back on the old GP Forums. That must've been six years ago! Man, how time flies...

Anyway, I think it's pretty decent. I like about a third of it, but there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't float my boat. I was surprised by the inclusion of some bands, happy about the inclusion of others, and dismayed about the exclusion of some.

It was also nice to be included in the thank-you list in the liner notes, even though I really had very little to do with the song selection.
    • October 27, 2010 10:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, this topic was beat to death back on the old GP Forums. That must've been six years ago! Man, how time flies...

Anyway, I think it's pretty decent. I like about a third of it, but there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't float my boat. I was surprised by the inclusion of some bands, happy about the inclusion of others, and dismayed about the exclusion of some.

It was also nice to be included in the thank-you list in the liner notes, even though I really had very little to do with the song selection.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel