Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Best Current/Recent Garage bands?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 26, 2010 12:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Curious to hear what some other people might suggest to be the best garage or punk bands of recent times? Mostly I stay listening to older bands but it's good to know about the current ones to keep up with the good live acts when they come around if you like going out to concerts.  
    • February 6, 2012 7:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thee Eviltones, Nottingham UK (Dead by Mono)

• February 1, 2012 7:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haven't seen anyone mention Coachwhips, their album Bangers vs. Fuckers is a thing of distorted, loud, fiesty, boisterous beauty. Strongly recommend it to absolutely everyone.

• December 7, 2011 8:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I listen to and love about half of this list--can't wait to listen to the rest! thankzzz :)

would recommend you in return: Thee Oh Sees (though i'm guessing you already know em), Woven Bones, Nobunny, High Pop, Allah-Las (don't have much out right now but they sound awesome).... 

Alex said:

Ty Segall, King Khan (all of his bands), CoCoComa, Black Lips, The White Wires, Moonhearts, Personal & the Pizzas, The Spits, Bad Sports, Wax Museums, Cheap Time, Jacuzzi Boys, Fungi Girls, Wau y los Arrrghs!!!, Thee Fine Lines, The Unwed Teenage Mothers
    • December 7, 2011 7:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Best one I saw recently was the Terry Malts. great twitchy garage - reminds me a lot of the Embarrassment. Highly recommended.

• December 7, 2011 5:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I concur!  CHEERS Paul!

Paul Messis said:

Guys.... shameless self promotion here... But I feel my sounds are pretty good NEW garage.

www.paulmessis.moonfruit.com.... on arsebook too.

Paul

• December 7, 2011 4:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi John,

what you said bout the Nervebreakers is absolutly true-do you have their live cd with (good-ole)ROKY ERICKSON.WONDERFULL!!!Live in Dallas ´79-perhaps Rokys best live cd ever.Superb......no more to say!

John Battles said:

I'm not hearing much , personally. Wait , did I already answer this ? If not ,Sons of Hercules (Around roughly 20 years , tho' , and I do mean roughly.) , Ugly Beats , Velveteen Loveseat , The Dyes (Rockabilly meets Garage by way of The Cramps and Wanda Jacksonmeets the eternally great , but , public interest could go spiraling into oblivion , AGAIN ,  due to people thinking they're the ONLY band of their kind , The Sonics ,  and no longer obscure Rockabilly covers - tho' no one else will DO most of 'em.) , Woggles , ? and The Mysterians , New Colony Six , Alarm Clocks , Remains , Kenny and The Kasuals (On a good night.) , Love Me Nots (Tho' not all of their most recent stuff.) , Wooly Bandits ( Ditto.) , Nervebreakers ( Too garage for The Punk Scene , Too Punk for The Garage Scene. What higher praise do you need?) Eve and The Exiles (Austin , Blues / Garage Rock'n'Roll. Ex - members of Sir Douglas Quintet and Neurotic Sheep.), Gories , Msr. Jeffrey Evans , and probably some other cool stuff.

• December 7, 2011 12:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Guys.... shameless self promotion here... But I feel my sounds are pretty good NEW garage.

www.paulmessis.moonfruit.com.... on arsebook too.

Paul

• December 7, 2011 10:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think you mean "Ugly Things" magazine. Also check out bands on Soundflat Records in Germany for a good mix of new European bands.

Duke Of Earl said:

It's hard to keep out of the past because I generally like old bands better(even the obsurities) but I figure the more current bands, the more live shows. Do the Nervebreakers, and Remains still play live. That would get me out. With the Ugly Beats it appears your referring to the band, though I really liked the magazine. I would want to read more of those. I can tell that you have similar interest in wild rock bands.

-StayCool

• December 7, 2011 8:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's hard to keep out of the past because I generally like old bands better(even the obsurities) but I figure the more current bands, the more live shows. Do the Nervebreakers, and Remains still play live. That would get me out. With the Ugly Beats it appears your referring to the band, though I really liked the magazine. I would want to read more of those. I can tell that you have similar interest in wild rock bands.

-StayCool

John Battles said:

I'm not hearing much , personally. Wait , did I already answer this ? If not ,Sons of Hercules (Around roughly 20 years , tho' , and I do mean roughly.) , Ugly Beats , Velveteen Loveseat , The Dyes (Rockabilly meets Garage by way of The Cramps and Wanda Jacksonmeets the eternally great , but , public interest could go spiraling into oblivion , AGAIN ,  due to people thinking they're the ONLY band of their kind , The Sonics ,  and no longer obscure Rockabilly covers - tho' no one else will DO most of 'em.) , Woggles , ? and The Mysterians , New Colony Six , Alarm Clocks , Remains , Kenny and The Kasuals (On a good night.) , Love Me Nots (Tho' not all of their most recent stuff.) , Wooly Bandits ( Ditto.) , Nervebreakers ( Too garage for The Punk Scene , Too Punk for The Garage Scene. What higher praise do you need?) Eve and The Exiles (Austin , Blues / Garage Rock'n'Roll. Ex - members of Sir Douglas Quintet and Neurotic Sheep.), Gories , Msr. Jeffrey Evans , and probably some other cool stuff.

• December 6, 2011 11:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 3, 2011 3:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The recent crop of Dirty Water Records stuff has been ace - The Routes, The Fuck Knights, Hollywood Sinners - and have had a lot of Los Chicos on lately. Aaaah, and The Ugly Beats. Glorious stuff!

• November 22, 2011 6:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I urge anyone out there to listen to, Thee Oh Sees, the Dream. Garage class from a future garage classic

• November 22, 2011 4:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh hell yeah, the Love Me Nots.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I like The Urges as well. Also Thee Vicars, Wau Y Los Argghs, Los Peyotes, and for the last 16 years, the Woggles. the Love Me Nots are also great.
    • November 14, 2011 12:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Cynics and The Buff Medways. Also Black Mountain recorded a couple awesome garage rock songs for the latest version of the Sub Pop Singles Club.

• November 14, 2011 12:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, in terms of that pure unadulterated garage sound, I humbly suggest THEE DIRTYBEATS, from Chapel Hill NC.  We specialize in recreating the tough primitive vibe of early garage and psychedelia (the sound that inspired early proto-punk pioneers like MC5 and The Stooges) using period instruments, including original KAPA, Mosrite, Rickenbacker and Fender guitars, Fender and Ampeg amps, Big Muff fuzzes, and Morley wahs.

The sound is prickly, gritty, unpredictable... and utterly glorious.

For a limited time, you can download our just-released debut ep for free at

http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com  It's been doing shockingly well (3 straight weeks on WXDU DUKE UNIVERSITY STUDENT RADIO'S TOP TEN OF THE WEEK), which we take to mean there is quite a thirst out there for the pure stuff.

Warm regards,

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage
      http://www.theedirtybeats.com
      2011 DEBUT: http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com   <--- share this link!

• November 13, 2011 11:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was going to say The Ugly bEATS , TOO , THO' i DON'T HAVE MANY RECOMMENDATIONS , BEING OLDER AND EMBITTERED....But , there's also The Sons of Hercules , also from San Antonio. Been around about 20 years , but , still current. The Velveteen Loveseat , from Denver , they may have split up (?) , Chicago's own Dyes , Bama Lamas , and Heebie Jeebies (Who are part Country , Garage and Rockabilly.), Austin's Eve and The EXILES , The Bad Mr.and Mrs. Fred Cole and Pierced Arrows , the sporadically active Subsonics , from Atlanta ...OK , SO i CAN THINK OF A FEW... 

Mole said:

The Higher State
      Paul Messis [not exactly a band as such, but dig him cos he rocks]
      Hidden Masters
      Groovy Uncle
      Frowning Clouds
      Runaway Suns
      Ugly Beats
      The WildKat Tamers [more rockabilly/rock 'n' roll than garage, but dynamite nonetheless]
      Galileo Seven

Google/myspace/facebook any of the above and you'll get a fine selection of modern-day brilliance!
    • November 1, 2011 1:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• November 1, 2011 11:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Pack AD are really good, don't know about them staying true to the old school Garage though...

I'd say Weirdonia but that's just douchey on my part and untrue

• November 1, 2011 3:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was thinking maybe that Davila 666 album or the new Black Lips album as my album of the year 2011, but this one blows me away every time. The debut album of Royal Headache from Sydney, Australia. Make sure you check it out. Here's one song, but this album is full of great songs with loads op punk/pop/garage/soul.

• October 27, 2011 8:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE ROUTES!!!!!
    • October 22, 2011 6:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

CHECK OUT THE PILLBUGS:):):)

• October 22, 2011 5:46 AM CDT
    • Untitled

I saw Digger and the Pussycats last night.

Is there a better 2 piece?

One hour+ of stripped down,tight garage punk. Great banter between songs and real high energy levels, even playing to 70 people in an empty venue.

Great to see the look one the face of some unsuspecting punters when they played "Drive Like a Cunt".

• October 22, 2011 2:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Higher State (playing with the Fuzztones this Friday at the Dome) and the Black Lips. Check em out now!
    • October 21, 2011 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

,....and this 2....:)

PSYCHIC ILLS

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel