Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: jim jones revue

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 6, 2010 12:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

anybody else into this great band? did a search and could find them discussed here yet.  saw them last week in new orleans and they blew me away (and the A-Bones and Flamin Groovies).  crazy energy in person and on record.  for those that don't know, think little richard meets mc5.
    • April 14, 2011 6:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

nah but sounds worth a go, if i had a living room like, is there anyway you could feed it into unsuspecting citizen's living rooms, now that'd be a BLAST...

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

Does anybody else do this?

I just made myself a nifty JJR comp DVD from youtube clips that I can play in the comfort of my living room. Beats watcing it on the PC. Not that it makes any difference to the sound quality!

Just saying.

MrMutant

• April 14, 2011 6:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just in from JJR in Camden Town, fuckin brilliant, totally deaf and dripping wet.
    • April 14, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Does anybody else do this?

I just made myself a nifty JJR comp DVD from youtube clips that I can play in the comfort of my living room. Beats watcing it on the PC. Not that it makes any difference to the sound quality!

Just saying.

MrMutant

• April 14, 2011 1:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Off to see them in London tonite, expect to be completely deaf in the morning. Ace.
    • April 13, 2011 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

they are just about the best thing rocking the planet mate. Saw them in manchester last year in a small venue, they were poorly lit and (according to some who stayed at the back(?) the sound was crap. Bollocks to 'em they blew the roof off my head...and they feed (back) off of distortion.

they're playing a bigger venue this Sunday, but I'm too damn broke to go see 'em, shit sucks, but I'm glad if they're making more money now coz they should be ELEVATED ON HIGH BY ALL. they looked damn cool too, pulling those MC5 dual guitar raise 'em up moves.

Peace and Noise

• April 13, 2011 7:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No you are right. Jim was the singer in Thee Hypnotics. It was around 22 years ago. We were on the same label when I was in The Fuzztones & we did gigs together in around 89-90.

Johnny Bean said:

I saw JJR live recently in Zürich it was a great gig. At the gig i realised i remembered two of the guys in the band from the from the old Alice in Wonderland/Gossips days in London as Thee Hypnotics, am i wrong or was that 25 years ago LOL!
      Great to see that are doing so well, playing big shows with the Stooges must be a dream come true :)
    • April 13, 2011 6:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw the Jim Jones Revue last night in my hometown of Bristol UK, what can i say, quite possibly one of the best gigs i have ever seen, full in your face unashamed rock n roll, a tremendous wall of sound, at times like Nine Below Zero on crack at others like Little Richard with a piledriver!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVClmEKbm0I

Oh and ps first post, Hey hey everybody.

• April 4, 2011 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I saw JJR live recently in Zürich it was a great gig. At the gig i realised i remembered two of the guys in the band from the from the old Alice in Wonderland/Gossips days in London as Thee Hypnotics, am i wrong or was that 25 years ago LOL!
      Great to see that are doing so well, playing big shows with the Stooges must be a dream come true :)
    • April 3, 2011 4:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw this band live for the first time the other night. Absolutely awesome! Not just the music but what a great show this band put on. I couldn't see the drummer but the other members were all really animated. Sometimes you see a band live and and all the attention is focussed on the singer - not these chaps, they all earnt their money! And t-shirts only a tenner to boot!
    • November 3, 2010 4:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

First track I played on the first episode of Way Past Cool [March 17th 2009]! Badda-Bing!

I think many of the bands I/we love have a similar sound to their songs. It's a vibe. Link Wray, The Cramps, etc. When it's that fucking cool why complain?

After seeing them live and being blown away, that only made me like them more. I don't like to critique a band too much when they've only made 2 albums though...
    • November 3, 2010 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

After listening to them a few more times since my last post, I do have to say there's definitely a serious similarity shared by all of their songs. Not that this is a bad thing -- the music rocks hard and it's really fun -- but it's a little repetitive. Nonetheless, I think the best way to describe their sound is what you'd expect to hear if Little Richard began his recording career after the invention of punk rock. Can't complain about that!

Alex said:
      I've heard them popping up on a bunch of podcasts lately. The singer's voice is absolutely fearsome. "Elemental" is a pounder.
    • October 19, 2010 3:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw them two weekends back in a small seafront venue in Southend, Essex, UK and they tore the place up. Top volume but not so much that it hid the tunes. If you haven't seen them already catch them at the first chance you get. Both LPs are on constant rotation too. Great to see a band building support through word of mouth and performance not hype.
    • October 18, 2010 10:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a fan for sure. There take on Little Richard's Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey really get's me going.
    • October 16, 2010 4:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great live band for sure, but I think people get so wrapped up in the stage show it clouds their opinion. They are hypnotizing when you watch them, but when you just listen to the music, they still need a little more work. The songwriting needs to improve for them to take the next level. I always waiting for the payoff in the chorus, that's where they fall flat. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy them, but if they want to play for more then 75 people, they need better songs. I'm sure they are huge in Europe, but America needs hooks. I wouldn't be so hard on them, but from the way they market themselves, I think they have a lot of expectations. Then again, I could be full of shit.
    • October 16, 2010 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I've heard them popping up on a bunch of podcasts lately. The singer's voice is absolutely fearsome. "Elemental" is a pounder.
    • October 8, 2010 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I love any band that can crank up real live mayhem on demand. It's quite a mental and athletic feat to do that night after night, and these guys do. Saw 'em in a tiny place in Austin and it was pretty insane.
    • October 8, 2010 1:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check them out tonight - they're doing some live stuff on the 'Later.. With Jools Holland' show on BBC TV.
      The show starts at 11:50 pm UK time on the BBC 2 Channel.
    • October 8, 2010 4:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

saw 'em in Nottingham last year. ace. one of their songs (cement mixer) is on my playlist on my page here..
    • October 7, 2010 7:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah as I aluded to in my original email the A-Bones and Flamin Groovies had to follow them. They were good but, really paled in comparison.

Mace Fobes said:
      I feel sorry for any poor band that has to play after 'em!
    • October 7, 2010 6:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very cool band. I know Jim from way back in Thee Hypnotics days. My Band The Jackets will be opening up for them in Zürich soon. It will be the first time I'll see the band live. Looking forward to it!
    • October 7, 2010 5:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These guys are really fearsome live...saw them at the Sjock fest a couple of years back, and they blew every other act completely away. I feel sorry for any poor band that has to play after 'em!
    • October 7, 2010 3:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Totally amazing on stage and on record, I already saw them twice and they'll be in november in my town. As already said: " The best live band I've seen in ages".
    • October 6, 2010 2:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw them in LA last week & they are a great live band. The best live band I've seen in ages.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel