Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Detroit Cobras, anyone?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 29, 2010 7:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I discovered this cool band a few years ago and simply LOVE them...   I can't stop listening to their records. I think Rachel Nagy has a smokin' hot, super sexy voice! Who else digs this band?
    • July 29, 2011 9:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great band. But never seen them as good live as the first couple times I saw them years ago.
    • July 28, 2011 1:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the concept of getting 'offended' by the Detroit Cobras...hahaha!

lighten up man!  they are just a really fun bar band.

I agree with the original poster but as for Rachel being "smokin hot"...uhh...lets just say your taste in women is more questionable than your taste in music!

• July 28, 2011 11:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Totally agree with the Count !

Count Brockula said:
      Rachel sounds NOTHING like Ruth Brown! Not even close! I personally can't stand the Detroit Cobras nor do I like her voice. Their choice of covers are great but I hate the way they do them. I prefer the originals and don't need to hear them butchered. As a R&B/Soul fanatic, they actually offend me a bit. The only good thing about them is that some people hear these hacks and then search out the originals. After hearing the originals, I don't know how anyone can fill their ears with this garbage ever again.
    • July 28, 2011 8:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great band.  I've seen em live a couple times and thought they were really fun...I think you guys are taking Rachel's bitchy stage antics too seriously.
    • July 27, 2011 1:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Let it ALL hang out!
    • July 26, 2011 5:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rachel sounds NOTHING like Ruth Brown! Not even close! I personally can't stand the Detroit Cobras nor do I like her voice. Their choice of covers are great but I hate the way they do them. I prefer the originals and don't need to hear them butchered. As a R&B/Soul fanatic, they actually offend me a bit. The only good thing about them is that some people hear these hacks and then search out the originals. After hearing the originals, I don't know how anyone can fill their ears with this garbage ever again.
    • July 26, 2011 8:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a fan. Rachel Nagy sounds a lot like the legendary Ruth Brown, I'd like to hear her with a jazz group.
    • July 21, 2011 5:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I Like the band too , but I think they only toured in USA ?

Am I wrong  ? 

Cause I never heard of them playing Europe , especially France.

E.

• July 20, 2011 10:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am a Detroit dude, so I've seen them many times and hung out with them, my friends' bands have shared shows with them, etc. At shows, they are all pretty approach-able and you can chat with them easily. Rachel can be really sweet (even though she isn't always sweet on stage).
      All of the above comments I would not disagree with: you all seem to feel out the band pretty well.
      Regardless, I always love seeing them live. They are fun and they play fun music (even though some shows are better than others, I've never seen them suck live). When they start playing, the room seems to get much happier because the music is good for the mood.
      All I can say is, even though they are a cover band, check them out and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
    • July 20, 2011 6:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree. They're a cover band. They do it well, but I'd like to hear some oriignal music from them. I saw them at Ink & Iron & they were very lackluster. I saw them a few years back at Spaceland & they were much better.

Fuzzmeister said:
      I liked 'em a bit at first - then I got "Songs we Taught the Detroit Cobras" with all the original versions so now I don't need 'em anymore. Kudos to them for picking great songs to cover though.

Maybe they're better live, I haven't had the opportunity to see them.

As cover bands go I'm much more into the Del Moroccos.
    • July 20, 2011 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...really dig their 'Village of Love' 7" and Mink Rat Or Rabbit LP, unfortunately never had the chance to see them on stage.
    • June 16, 2011 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw these guys for the first time last night in St Louis.  All the above comments appear to be totally accurate.  Mary may be the best rhythm guitarist you could hope for.  Strong, crisp tone, tight.  Rachael was pricklie:  "I still don't know what I think of St Louis..." and ranting about the "pretty girls in the back" not dancing enough.  "What's it going to take to get you to have fun!?!"  Another couple of songs later she got snappy with 'her band' and I was out.  Way to ingraciate yourself to an audience.  The opening bands were really good though.  Not my normal cup of joe but Girl in A Coma was very strong.  All were very good musicians.  The bass player had an Epiphone "Jack Cassidy" hollowbody and she commanded it.  The drummer was what made the band so outstanding though.  not just chops but knew how to work a song to keep it interesting.  I bet within a year they're on Austin City Limits.  It seems like they would be ideal for each other.
    • October 15, 2010 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I liked 'em a bit at first - then I got "Songs we Taught the Detroit Cobras" with all the original versions so now I don't need 'em anymore. Kudos to them for picking great songs to cover though.

Maybe they're better live, I haven't had the opportunity to see them.

As cover bands go I'm much more into the Del Moroccos.
    • October 14, 2010 2:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Whatever mood Rachel is in, you can always count on Mary to give it her all. Sometimes Rachel just looks bored.

whatwave dave said:
      That would be Mary, she used to be in The Verical Pillows, a band that Rob Tyner was working with before he passed away.The Vertical Pillow released at least one 7" and were on a coupla Detroit comps...a pretty cool all female band.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Totally a hit and miss band. I love the style and song choices but sometimes they put on a dud show, except the rhythm guitarist, whatever her name is. She rocks.
    • October 14, 2010 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That would be Mary, she used to be in The Verical Pillows, a band that Rob Tyner was working with before he passed away.The Vertical Pillow released at least one 7" and were on a coupla Detroit comps...a pretty cool all female band.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Totally a hit and miss band. I love the style and song choices but sometimes they put on a dud show, except the rhythm guitarist, whatever her name is. She rocks.
    • October 13, 2010 10:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 9, 2010 9:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a pic from that early line-up with Steve & Jeff, back in '98. I've seen them many times over the years and they always put on a good show, though I too liked that "Mink Rabbit or Rat' line-up the best. Rachel can be prickly, but f' it, she can sing. Rocket 455 were amazing live!

• October 9, 2010 7:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rocket 455 was a great band! I think I still have their album on Get Hip.

Brian T. Kirchner said:
      They were at their best when the band was led by Steve Shaw(Fondas) and Jeff Meier(Rocket 455).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 9, 2010 1:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

They were at their best when the band was led by Steve Shaw(Fondas) and Jeff Meier(Rocket 455).
    • September 30, 2010 10:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Stick to the records. Avoid them live, though. She can be a real bitch on stage.
    • September 29, 2010 11:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw then open for X in Santa Fe a couple of years ago. They were great. RACHEL MEDITATES
    • September 29, 2010 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh YESSS!! I love them too!! Great stuff! :D

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel