Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Songs for (hopefully) my podcast.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 30, 2010 4:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey ev'rybody.

I'm very new here but have loved the podcasts for a while. Hence I want to try my hand at doing one myself. I have a lot of good music from podsafe but I have a lot of classic stuff I want to play too (Monks, Sonics, Screamin' Jay possibly). I have all this stuff on Cd and iTunes so would it be illegal slap those up there?

Many thanks,

Fashdad.

• September 12, 2010 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I totally agree with that point! I have discovered many little gems from podcasts and been wanting to try my hand at one too. I think it is only a benefit to those artists involved and am sure the majority of them would think the same. It's more the labels and the collection societies involved who are going to go after you. Play it by ear! SCxMS said:
      I've always viewed playing the song as part of an entire podcast (one solid mix - not individual tracks) as free advertising for the band. Sure, they don't get the money from royalties, but they get promoted and many smaller bands get some well deserved exposure. Like a college radio show.
    • September 10, 2010 8:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've always viewed playing the song as part of an entire podcast (one solid mix - not individual tracks) as free advertising for the band. Sure, they don't get the money from royalties, but they get promoted and many smaller bands get some well deserved exposure. Like a college radio show.
    • September 7, 2010 4:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thought it over and I decided to go ahead and add them. I listened to a lot of the other casts and figured if they haven't got caught all these years, chances are I won't either. Thanks for all the help!

kopper said:
      No, that would be the least they could do (IF they want to go after you). The *worst* they could do is sue you for copyright infringement. Fashdad Ogrimlachek said:
      Thanks for the info. I figure the Monks and Sonics songs won't be that heavily protected. I guess the worst they would probably do is take it down.
    • September 7, 2010 11:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, that would be the least they could do (IF they want to go after you). The *worst* they could do is sue you for copyright infringement. Fashdad Ogrimlachek said:
      Thanks for the info. I figure the Monks and Sonics songs won't be that heavily protected. I guess the worst they would probably do is take it down.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 6, 2010 7:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 5, 2010 4:16 AM CDT
    • Untitled

You're from Macedonia, so the swine out there might or might not be too bothered by uploading as they are in other countries. In Germany uploading can lead to a shit load of trouble; and I'm talking about 1400 euro fines.
    • September 5, 2010 12:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Go for it! We need more!
    • September 4, 2010 11:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry if I made light of your question, but honestly, no one other than an entertainment lawyer should offer legal advice with anything related to copyright. This is an issue that we've struggled with and debated for years here on the GPPN but it hasn't prevented any of us from playing whatever the hell we want on our podcasts. And it's also why we spend a lot of time and effort encouraging bands and labels to upload their music to the Podsafe Music Network at MusicAlley.com. The bottom line is you're on your own. You run the risk of getting busted or "caught" for redistributing music that you don't have the "right" to redistribute. It's a pretty small risk, obviously, since we're all in the same boat and, as far as I know, no one has ever been busted for copyright violation for playing a song on a podcast. That said, I *have* heard that PROs (Performance Rights Organizations like ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc.) will go after podcasters as well as Web radio stations for artist royalties if they find out your show has played a song from one of their artists. It's all a big gamble... just like uploading copyrighted videos to YouTube. You may or may not get busted... it's anyone's guess. Good luck.

• September 2, 2010 9:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha! Ask a lawyer.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel