Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Chesterfield Kings - Let's Go Get Stoned

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 11, 2010 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just bought a used copy on amazon, and I really like it. Once again, I have Little Steven to thank for turning me onto this album, albeit in an indirect manner. The Chesterfield Kings performed several songs from this album on their live Wicked Cool release, and I thought they were new songs that had not been recorded yet. I found out later on that they were on this album, so I tracked it down and bought it. I especially like "Rock'n'Roll Murder" and "Johnny Volume" (A very cool tribute to the late, great Johnny Thunders).
    • August 19, 2010 10:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice to meet a fellow Underground Garage fan around here. BeatleChick said:
      I love the Chesterfield Kings, too. Also found my way to them through Little Steven. Great band. Great music.
    • August 18, 2010 11:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love the Chesterfield Kings, too. Also found my way to them through Little Steven. Great band. Great music.
    • August 17, 2010 10:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would strongly recommend "MIndbending Sounds of the Chesterfield Kings" and "Psychedelic Sunrise," both of which you can find on Wicked Cool Records. And please buy them both, so I can get a bigger kickback;) S.Law said:
      my introduction to the chesterfield kings was seeing them open for the Cramps. I was blown away. but their recorded output that I've heard is pretty disappointing-the production stinks(imagine any 60's sitcom where a character is in a "rock'n'roll" band-that's the sound).

any recommendations? I passed on "doomsday" after hearing their other stuff, but that does seem to be the one to get.
    • August 16, 2010 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd second that the first 2 LPs and Night of The Living Eyes are the best C. Kings full lengths, although all of their full lengths would have been better EPs without what seem like filler tunes.

Some of their early singles are pretty incredible. (Baby Doll, in particular) And I really love how they breathed life into the Kinks' "Live Life" on that 80s tribute LP.
    • August 16, 2010 2:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You'd probably like Night of the Living Eyes (if you can find it) which is a comp of early singles and some live stuff from 1982-83. And Here Are the Chesterfield Kings is actually pretty good. The second one "STOP" actually begins to clean up the sound a bit but I thought it was good. S.Law said:
      my introduction to the chesterfield kings was seeing them open for the Cramps. I was blown away. but their recorded output that I've heard is pretty disappointing-the production stinks(imagine any 60's sitcom where a character is in a "rock'n'roll" band-that's the sound).

any recommendations? I passed on "doomsday" after hearing their other stuff, but that does seem to be the one to get.
    • August 16, 2010 12:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 13, 2010 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's quite possible. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      The novelty of getting back together probably wore off.

MikeL said:
      I saw the Dolls during that tour as well, and I still liked them. However, I saw them again a couple of months ago, and they disappointed me. They seem to have lost their fire.

Milton Tucker said:
      Saw them in Portland with the SuperSuckers opening for what's left of the New York Dolls that to was a Little Steven Production. Solid live act the Chesterfield kings that is not the New York Dolls
    • August 13, 2010 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The novelty of getting back together probably wore off. MikeL said:
      I saw the Dolls during that tour as well, and I still liked them. However, I saw them again a couple of months ago, and they disappointed me. They seem to have lost their fire.

Milton Tucker said:
      Saw them in Portland with the SuperSuckers opening for what's left of the New York Dolls that to was a Little Steven Production. Solid live act the Chesterfield kings that is not the New York Dolls
    • August 13, 2010 7:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw the Dolls during that tour as well, and I still liked them. However, I saw them again a couple of months ago, and they disappointed me. They seem to have lost their fire. Milton Tucker said:
    • August 12, 2010 7:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw that show in Seattle. The Supersuckers and the New York Dolls were OK, but the Chesterfield Kings were really something. There was a pole/post on the stage that basically was there to hold up the roof, but Greg Prevost kept trying to break it with his microphone stand. The bottom of the stand would have broke first before the support beam. Milton Tucker said:
    • August 12, 2010 7:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 12, 2010 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, waitaminnit. This is my least favorite Chesterfield Kings album. The Ultimatemost High said:
      The album THE BERLIN WALL OF SOUND is a killer
    • August 12, 2010 10:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The album THE BERLIN WALL OF SOUND is a killer
    • August 11, 2010 10:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know. That's my least favorite record of theirs I think. For me, it's the first three(if you can find them) and the last three studio recordings. Where the Action Is was for me the best follow up to Don't Open Til Doomsday.
    • August 11, 2010 11:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Outstanding record. Keeps the party rockin'.
    • August 11, 2010 10:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I've got that one. In fact, I think it was the first of theirs that I bought on CD. It's a good album, but not my favorite by them by a long shot.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel