Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Old garage comps - worth keeping?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 10, 2010 5:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have quite a big collection of rare 60´s Garage collections (Pebbles, Mindrockers, Garage Punk Unknows, Back from the Grave,...most remarkably that I collected all of them from Austria) most of them on records, some on CD...and most of my favorite songs converted to MP3. I must admit I haven´t listened to this records for years and I considerably start now to think of selling them. I wouldn´t just sell them to anybody...only somebody who really knows what´s the whole thing´s about. I could do it via eBay but I am sure somebody here knows a better place to sell these records. When I went through them the other, brought back lots of old memories and it makes me sad to let them go, but place wise it would help us a great deal. In any case can somebody also tell me what 1965–1968"">Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965–1968 (the original edition from 1976 from Sire) is worth today.

thanks Peter
    • August 25, 2010 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would say...not that many... but for those that have...it would cost more to send them from Europe to the US then to keep them... The Gray Things said:
      Peter:

I am the lead singer of The Gray Things. How many of those compilations have "Charity" on them.

thegraythings@yahoo.com
    • August 25, 2010 8:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It´s true what you say...but it´s like with Books...even you don´t read them anymore.... Brother Panti-Christ said:
      I say SELL them.

There isn't anything worse then holding onto items just for the sake of nostalgia... There are plenty of people who will buy them from you for YOUR price, and they will love them, play them and cherish them until the same thing that happened to you has happened to them. If you have the music elsewhere then you are just have a huge stack of garage gold that someone will be happy to take off of your hands.......

Be Smart - Think Quick - Travel Light
    • August 25, 2010 8:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi... I still listen mainly to 60´s Garage and Psych...but in the days of MP3 on my iphone or PC...almost all of them have been mp3ed...some of them I have as LP and CD... Gringo Starr said:
      The original Nuggets was released by Elektra in 1972 (worth about 80-120 smackers in good condition) , by the way. Why don't you listen to these records anymore? And what exactly are you listening to at the moment? Good move deciding to keep these treasures, though!
    • August 24, 2010 9:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I say SELL them.

There isn't anything worse then holding onto items just for the sake of nostalgia... There are plenty of people who will buy them from you for YOUR price, and they will love them, play them and cherish them until the same thing that happened to you has happened to them. If you have the music elsewhere then you are just have a huge stack of garage gold that someone will be happy to take off of your hands.......

Be Smart - Think Quick - Travel Light
    • August 22, 2010 6:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The original Nuggets was released by Elektra in 1972 (worth about 80-120 smackers in good condition) , by the way. Why don't you listen to these records anymore? And what exactly are you listening to at the moment? Good move deciding to keep these treasures, though!
    • August 20, 2010 10:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Peter:

I am the lead singer of The Gray Things. How many of those compilations have "Charity" on them.

thegraythings@yahoo.com
    • August 12, 2010 7:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Peter,

glad to hear that, even if some fans out there now are unhappy ;-)! Have fun with all the nostaglia!

@ Mike: Well said! It felt like that to me.

Cheers, Doc

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• August 11, 2010 11:46 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Good decision, this thread looked like the musical version of an online suicide.
    • August 11, 2010 7:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well said....I after a couple of sleepless nights and another tour through my records, brought me back to London and LA (the places where I have bought most of my records)...and yes...I will keep them...even if...maybe one day thank you all for your ideas and help Peter Doc Sanchez said:
      Man, keep them!!! I've got records I haven't listened to in twenty years, and just last night I became nostalgic, pulled out some old LPs I would have sold long ago if I would sell my old records and had such a great time. I could've listened to all the songs on youtube or whatever, but hell, the old dog-ears on the innersleeve! The worn-out cover! And I have only twelve square meters in my living room, and have been in financial trouble more than once. It's worth keeping your collection!

Cheers, Doc Sanchez
    • August 11, 2010 4:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, keep them!!! I've got records I haven't listened to in twenty years, and just last night I became nostalgic, pulled out some old LPs I would have sold long ago if I would sell my old records and had such a great time. I could've listened to all the songs on youtube or whatever, but hell, the old dog-ears on the innersleeve! The worn-out cover! And I have only twelve square meters in my living room, and have been in financial trouble more than once. It's worth keeping your collection!

Cheers, Doc Sanchez

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• August 10, 2010 1:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

if you come to Brussels (Belgium).....we can talk about it... Alex Patton said:
      Maybe trim the fat a little, or give them to me.
    • August 10, 2010 1:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did...all my records are already on MP3 and Homeserver...and of course the most precious ones on my iPhone... my problem is the space...they cover almost a full cupboard in my cellar and as already mentioned, I don´t listen to them anymore, since I have them all on MP3... gene sculatti said:
      Not sure about the worth of the original Nuggets> vinyl, but my two cents' worth is maybe think twice about getting rid of your collection. Just a cautionary note re keeping some sort of back-up (in case of I-don't-know-what: Y3K maybe?). If you have the stuff on CD you're probably OK. For vinyl that never made it to official CD reissue, I've digitized it, thrown it into my iTunes library, then made CD-Rs.Maybe I'm being too anal-retentive, but... Only a thought.
    • August 10, 2010 1:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe trim the fat a little, or give them to me.
    • August 10, 2010 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not sure about the worth of the original Nuggets> vinyl, but my two cents' worth is maybe think twice about getting rid of your collection. Just a cautionary note re keeping some sort of back-up (in case of I-don't-know-what: Y3K maybe?). If you have the stuff on CD you're probably OK. For vinyl that never made it to official CD reissue, I've digitized it, thrown it into my iTunes library, then made CD-Rs.Maybe I'm being too anal-retentive, but... Only a thought.
    • August 10, 2010 9:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You should hang on to them!

The Sire edition was actually a reissue witha new cover, the original was on Elektra. I've seen the Sire one go for $20-50 on Ebay, depending on how many bidders get going.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel