Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Scion Garage Fest 2010

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 5, 2010 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check it out... GREAT lineup!!

This one's in Lawrence, KS... no way I'm missing this one!

More info:
      http://www.scion.com/garagefest/index.html

Holy smokes!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 14, 2010 1:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hahaha that is my skinny, little arm and balding head on the front,right side.

kopper said:
      Found some great photos of the fest on this blog: http://ivyleah.blogspot.com/

Below is a photo of St. Louisan Todd Walk crowd-surfing in his wheelchair during the Oblivians' set. I'll try to invite Ivy (the photographer) to join the Hideout. Here's my favorite, though (you can see me in the lower-right, looking up at Todd in his wheelchair):

Check the blog for more great photos: http://ivyleah.blogspot.com/
    • October 14, 2010 1:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Found some great photos of the fest on this blog: http://ivyleah.blogspot.com/ Below is a photo of St. Louisan Todd Walk crowd-surfing in his wheelchair during the Oblivians' set. I'll try to invite Ivy (the photographer) to join the Hideout. Here's my favorite, though (you can see me in the lower-right, looking up at Todd in his wheelchair):

Check the blog for more great photos: http://ivyleah.blogspot.com/

• October 6, 2010 11:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I didn't get the stoner vibe from Natural Child at all... except for visually, maybe (the bass player did look an awful lot like a stoner friend of mine from high school), but their sound was just raw, sloppy garage rock'n'roll.

I thought Tyvek kicked ass live. Much better than their self-titled LP which I bought recently but didn't care much for (although I do include a song from it on my latest podcast).

Oblivians did sound a bit strange at the Granada. Just wasn't the best venue for them, but they still sounded great.

Check out some of my friend Tom's pics from the fest here:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomq/

• October 5, 2010 8:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Luke, As I said... your set was beautiful. I was listening to you guys & realized that the day was indeed going to be great. I hope I didn't miss picking up some vinyl from you guys while you were out here. Thanks Again!

Luke said:
      I somehow was lucky enough to be involved in this,
    • October 5, 2010 8:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I somehow was lucky enough to be involved in this, and it was the best possible ending to our first trip to America. the only downfall is that we (Sex Beet) were on first, which meant we played sober as hell, but were then absolutely trashed by early evening.

As fas as I can remember, I managed to catch at least parts of: Digital Leather, Cola Freaks, Natural Child, Hunx, Thee Oh See's, The shrines, Gories, and then somehow I ended up watching the last half of Oblivians from the side of the stage. The whole day is a complete haze, but I fucking loved every band I saw. Anyone that didn't go missed out.

I also completely loved the fact they stuck 28 garage punk bands in the same hotel, with 2 days of free alcohol and didn't seem to expect any trouble. I would have felt sorry for the security guard if it wasn't so much fun!
    • October 5, 2010 8:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For sure! Let's all get together some time, eh?

Recordgrooves said:
      I met a some nice folks from Lawrence, Denver, New York, KC, Brazil & California. chilled out for a sec w/Kopper & Ryan, 2 of the coolest Garage Punkers, from the Lou!

Oh yea, free Oblivians 7"s.

Turns out there was no trouble getting in to any of the shows with my kids & wife. The rowdiest crowd I saw there was for the Oh Sees (best set IMO)

Here is how it worked out for me...

Jackpot Music Hall 4:20 - 4:50 Sex Beet (Raw & Beautiful) singer asked "turn vocals down cause my singing is shit"

Granada Theatre 4:40 - 5:10 Natural Child (Great Stoner Band)

Jackpot Music Hall 5:10 - 5:30 White Wires (Tore it up!)

Bottleneck 5:20 - 5:50 Nodzzz

Jackpot Music Hall 6:00 - 6:30 Teenager (Loved It)

Granada Theatre 6:20 - 7:00 Cloud Nothings

Granada Theatre 7:30 - 8:10 Digital Leather

Granada Theatre 8:40 - 9:25 Hunx and His Punx

Bottleneck 8:30 - 9:10 Thee Oh Sees (John is a madman, keeps getting better and has great taste in guitars)

Bottleneck 9:25 - 9:35 Tyvek (left the set / too much marshall amp sound for me)

Jackpot Music Hall 10:00 - 11:00 The Gories (of course!) Oh wait, WTF Mick was playing a Squier!

Granada Theatre 11:30 - 12:30 The Oblivians (shitty sound for the Oblivians but still had a good time, Greg is my hero anyways.)

Somewhere after 7:30 the times get fucked up, but I came back home Sunday and saw Gentleman + King Khan/Shrines, best funky time since I've seen James Brown.

Khan even took a second to squat down and sing to my 10yr old daughter then came down later to put his hand down and heal her soul.

We had a blast!
    • October 5, 2010 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I met a some nice folks from Lawrence, Denver, New York, KC, Brazil & California. chilled out for a sec w/Kopper & Ryan, 2 of the coolest Garage Punkers, from the Lou! Oh yea, free Oblivians 7"s. Turns out there was no trouble getting in to any of the shows with my kids & wife. The rowdiest crowd I saw there was for the Oh Sees (best set IMO) Here is how it worked out for me... Jackpot Music Hall 4:20 - 4:50 Sex Beet (Raw & Beautiful) singer asked "turn vocals down cause my singing is shit" Granada Theatre 4:40 - 5:10 Natural Child (Great Stoner Band) Jackpot Music Hall 5:10 - 5:30 White Wires (Tore it up!) Bottleneck 5:20 - 5:50 Nodzzz Jackpot Music Hall 6:00 - 6:30 Teenager (Loved It) Granada Theatre 6:20 - 7:00 Cloud Nothings Granada Theatre 7:30 - 8:10 Digital Leather Granada Theatre 8:40 - 9:25 Hunx and His Punx Bottleneck 8:30 - 9:10 Thee Oh Sees (John is a madman, keeps getting better and has great taste in guitars) Bottleneck 9:25 - 9:35 Tyvek (left the set / too much marshall amp sound for me) Jackpot Music Hall 10:00 - 11:00 The Gories (of course!) Oh wait, WTF Mick was playing a Squier! Granada Theatre 11:30 - 12:30 The Oblivians (shitty sound for the Oblivians but still had a good time, Greg is my hero anyways.) Somewhere after 7:30 the times get fucked up, but I came back home Sunday and saw Gentleman + King Khan/Shrines, best funky time since I've seen James Brown. Khan even took a second to squat down and sing to my 10yr old daughter then came down later to put his hand down and heal her soul. We had a blast!
    • October 5, 2010 11:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Scary, how did I manage to avoid seeing you there (or am I just not remembering it... wouldn't surprise me; I drank a lot of beer.) Really wish I would've caught Human Eye now. Sounds like theirs might have been one of the best sets at the fest. Drat.

Scary Manilow said:
      It was awesome to meet you, Sara-- and thanks for making it out to the show on Friday!

Sara said:
      Had SUCH a blast!! We saw: Tyvek, Greg Oblivian, and Nodzzz at an in-store Friday, and Fag Cop and Spook Lights Friday night at the awesomely boozy Replay. Then Bad Sports, Gentleman Jesse, Cola Freaks, HUMAN EYE (!!! wow !!!, so glad I got to see Timmy Vulgar!), Happy Birthday, and the GORIES! That was the second Gories show for me, the first being last summer in Detroit at the Majestic. It was super nice to see them in a little place and really get down with them. After the show, we were somehow able to also catch Gino Washington with KK and the Shrines which was amazing!! and catch the end of the Oblivians as well. Lines were never a problem. The whole festival atmosphere tends to make me rather manic, and this was no exception. By the end of the night though, when it was time to head to the Spits after party, I was totally spent. Hope to catch them some day.

Lawrence had great thrifting opportunities and we met lotsa cool people. Got to say hello to our illustrious leader Kopper and to meet Dave, and saw a TON of Denver people there. It was a super BLAST. Let's all do it again real soon, ok?!?

• October 5, 2010 10:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those shoes are awesome! Just have to make up my mind between the high or low tops. Getting old does suck as I too would have liked to have seen the Spits! Diners, yeah, I miss Drakes (home fries) and Paradise (spinach jack enchildas)....

kopper said:
      Great time! Weather was perfect, too. We saw the Gories, Oblivians, Tyvek, Thee Oh Sees, Cola Freaks, Hunx & His Punx (the only band that bored me enough to leave mid-set), Teenanger, White Wires, Digital Leather, and Natural Child. Then we caught Greg Cartwright DJing and Brimstone Howl playing live at the Replay Lounge. We'd gotten a tip that the Spits were playing a house party afterward, but we were too beat to go (getting old sucks), so we got back to the Motel 6 around 2:30 and crashed.

Turned out the express pass was really unnecessary, which was a good thing since they couldn't find Ryan's name on their list, even though he liked the page the day before like he was supposed to have done. Weird.

It was also great to meet Ruby and her husband and several others from this site. Got lotsa comments about my GRGPNK fuzzbox logo tee I was wearing! A couple of people even noticed the shoes. :)

But I couldn't believe there are NO DINERS in Lawrence! We drove all around on Sunday morning looking for a good greasy spoon to get a quick, cheap breakfast but there were none to be found. Strange. So we ended up just going to McDonald's. Some enterprising person should really open a diner on Massachusetts. I'm sure it'd do well.
    • October 4, 2010 4:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It was awesome to meet you, Sara-- and thanks for making it out to the show on Friday!

Sara said:
      Had SUCH a blast!! We saw: Tyvek, Greg Oblivian, and Nodzzz at an in-store Friday, and Fag Cop and Spook Lights Friday night at the awesomely boozy Replay. Then Bad Sports, Gentleman Jesse, Cola Freaks, HUMAN EYE (!!! wow !!!, so glad I got to see Timmy Vulgar!), Happy Birthday, and the GORIES! That was the second Gories show for me, the first being last summer in Detroit at the Majestic. It was super nice to see them in a little place and really get down with them. After the show, we were somehow able to also catch Gino Washington with KK and the Shrines which was amazing!! and catch the end of the Oblivians as well. Lines were never a problem. The whole festival atmosphere tends to make me rather manic, and this was no exception. By the end of the night though, when it was time to head to the Spits after party, I was totally spent. Hope to catch them some day.

Lawrence had great thrifting opportunities and we met lotsa cool people. Got to say hello to our illustrious leader Kopper and to meet Dave, and saw a TON of Denver people there. It was a super BLAST. Let's all do it again real soon, ok?!?
    • October 4, 2010 4:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 4, 2010 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Always good to see ya, Dave! Jason and Kat were indeed at the RBG show.

DammitDave said:
      Thanks for the review, Ryan. I need to buy some records (and get out more). Also thanks for the tip re King Khan. Good to see you and Kevin. I expect Jason and Kat were at the RBG show. Good turnout though, I thought, and a very good set. I enjoyed the originals as well as the Suicide and Saints covers. Maybe not Stax Review London 67 but still, for StL, very enthusiastic.
    • October 4, 2010 3:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The best I saw: HUMAN EYE and HUNX & HIS PUNX (I'm a sucker for cross-dressing, 60's pop, and shallow punk rock posturing, what can I say?)... Still kicking myself for missing THE SHRINES, but I couldn't pass up seeing THE GORIES at the bar where I work. Too bad stage divers and an apathetic sound guy killed their set for me.

OBLIVIANS were great, FUCKING great, but this is my 4th time seeing them and... maybe it was the giant stage and budweiser-drunk fratboys, I dunno. Something about the atmosphere pulled me out of their set. Greg called it when he said, "You guys like subwoofers? Cuz this fucking place has GOT EM!"

Still the best thing that's happened to Lawrence since the 90's, when we saw shit like this around here all the time. Hopefully this will start bringing those days back...
    • October 4, 2010 2:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the review, Ryan. I need to buy some records (and get out more). Also thanks for the tip re King Khan. Good to see you and Kevin. I expect Jason and Kat were at the RBG show. Good turnout though, I thought, and a very good set. I enjoyed the originals as well as the Suicide and Saints covers. Maybe not Stax Review London 67 but still, for StL, very enthusiastic.
    • October 4, 2010 9:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great time! Weather was perfect, too. We saw the Gories, Oblivians, Tyvek, Thee Oh Sees, Cola Freaks, Hunx & His Punx (the only band that bored me enough to leave mid-set), Teenanger, White Wires, Digital Leather, and Natural Child. Then we caught Greg Cartwright DJing and Brimstone Howl playing live at the Replay Lounge. We'd gotten a tip that the Spits were playing a house party afterward, but we were too beat to go (getting old sucks), so we got back to the Motel 6 around 2:30 and crashed.

Turned out the express pass was really unnecessary, which was a good thing since they couldn't find Ryan's name on their list, even though he liked the page the day before like he was supposed to have done. Weird.

It was also great to meet Ruby and her husband and several others from this site. Got lotsa comments about my GRGPNK fuzzbox logo tee I was wearing! A couple of people even noticed the shoes. :)

But I couldn't believe there are NO DINERS in Lawrence! We drove all around on Sunday morning looking for a good greasy spoon to get a quick, cheap breakfast but there were none to be found. Strange. So we ended up just going to McDonald's. Some enterprising person should really open a diner on Massachusetts. I'm sure it'd do well.

• October 1, 2010 3:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny! I don't have a myface either.

kopper said:
      Also: If you "Like" the Scion A/V Garage page on Facebook by midnight tonight, you'll supposedly be able to get express access at the shows. I guess you're supposed to let them know at Will Call tomorrow. Which means if you don't have a Facebook account then you're fucked and you'll have to wait in the slow line with the Myspacers, haha!
    • October 1, 2010 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also: If you "Like" the Scion A/V Garage page on Facebook by midnight tonight, you'll supposedly be able to get express access at the shows. I guess you're supposed to let them know at Will Call tomorrow. Which means if you don't have a Facebook account then you're fucked and you'll have to wait in the slow line with the Myspacers, haha!

• October 1, 2010 1:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just read this again... are you saying that the exit that is right there close to the Motel 6 is closed and we have to go over the river and get off at McDonald Drive? If so, that's a pain in the ass because we'll have to backtrack on 6th to downtown to get to N. 2nd to take up to where the motel is... It's funny... when we lived in Lawrence we never used I-70. We always took K-10 to and from KC.

Ruby Soleil said:
      Hey everyone, just picked up my wristbands, and the schedule, which should be updated on the website by now. FYI when driving into Lawrence on I70 please be aware that the Lawrence east exit is closed from both the east and the west. Use the Lawrence west exit, or the Lawrence/Lecompton exit. I recommend using the west exit. If you are driving in on I70 from the west and you miss the Lawrence west exit then hello Kansas City!
      For those of you driving in on I70 from the east: due to construction I70 goes down to one lane each way shortly after Bonner Springs in addition to the east exit being closed.
      Well, this will probably mean nothing to everyone save Kopper, but at least I tried. Most important thing: if your directions have you getting off at the east exit get new directions from I70 getting off at the Lawrence west exit instead.

• October 1, 2010 10:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Friday: I'll be bartending at the Replay all day, then rocking the Replay all night.
      Saturday: Who the fuck knows. I'm just going with the flow. But I'll definitely end up with the Gories at the Jackpot.

BONUS: Jarod from Black Lips and Mick from The Gories are DJ'ing the Replay patio post-fest.
    • October 1, 2010 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll have my Charles Manson "Got Milk?" shirt on tonite if any of you guys are going to be at the Spook Lights, Fag Cop...etc. show at the replay tonight. I hope to meet any fellow Garagepunk.com enthusiasts.

Safe Travels for anyone on the road over the next two days.
    • October 1, 2010 7:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, if you happen to be in KC tonight, the American Royal Barbeque is going on down in the west bottoms. I recommend it if you like beer barbeque and huge parties. http://www.arbbq.com/ Stay away if you are averse to parking nightmares.
    • September 30, 2010 10:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did anybody on here go to the Portland show? What were the lines like at that one?

Hey Kopper - look forward to seeing ya'll. I'll shoot you my phone # via email - text or call me. Here's a few things about Lawrence for the uninitiated - its about 45 minutes west of KC. For those in the western KC burbs its really like another suburb and it has the best record store (Lovegarden) w/in 200 miles - check it out. 2 of the venues (Liberty Hall & the Bottleneck) are on the north end of Mass. St. and the Granada & Jackpot are on the south end. They're 2-3 blocks apart.

KU football will be on the road so no need to worry about college football crowds. However, there's a big NASCAR race in western KCK so there could be delays along I-70 if you're coming from the east. If you are coming in from the east you may want to consider taking I-470 south and then west and connect up w/I-435 and then connect w/K-10 west bound. It's going to be in the mid 60's w/a few clouds so its going to be an awesome day.

One question - Gories or Oblivians?
    • September 30, 2010 10:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I should be pretty easy to spot. I'm tall, short hair, sideburns, short goatee on my chin and I'll be wearing my white GaragePunk.com T-shirt with the fuzzbox logo on the front and "Kicks Just Got Easier to Find" on the back. I'll also be wearing my GRGPNK Pro-Keds!

Oh, and I'll be with three other tall guys from St. Louis: Ryan Katastrophe, Tom Quistorff and Kevin Schneider (be sure and send 'em lots of friend requests!).

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel